Carrying where you used to be employed?

This is a discussion on Carrying where you used to be employed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; say you were employed at a place in their employee handbook, had a strick no gun policy. you no longer work there and you want ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

say you were employed at a place in their employee handbook, had a strick no gun policy.
    you no longer work there and you want to stop by to visit some people.
    there are no posted no gun signs.
    would carrying there be trespassing since you know they don't want guns? or not because that was only for current employees?

food for thought.

Don't ask... Don't tell! You don't work for them any more... and if they ask you to leave then leave. Easy as that.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Well they can't fire you.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Agree with MNBurl.

"Employee" Handbook ONLY applies to <current> employees. Doesn't matter what they "like", only what they might post (if that holds legal weight in your state).

I returned to visit friends at a few places I used to work over the years. None of those places "allowed" firearms (or any "dangerous weapon") in their employee handbooks. Some of those times I was armed and that fact was totally irrelevant (just like their handbook).

If you aren't breaking any laws, don't worry about it, just keep it concealed.

Sounds like you're asking for trouble if you know the policy. Why would you want to carry in there when you couldn't before, just to see some old friends? Why not meet them somewhere else after work? You may win the court case, but it certainly isn't worth the time or expence!

It would seem their actions indicate they do not care if customers or visitors are armed. They only wish to disarm their employees.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    ... you know they don't want guns ... for current employees
    The employee manual is just that. As a visitor, it doesn't apply to you. Unless they clearly indicate prior to your entry that your presence is agreed upon in exchange for adhering to a no-weapons policy, then if at some point they conclude you're a threat then all they can do is ask you to leave. It's private property, hence their rules. Same as if it were your home. Refuse to do so, then you're playing with a criminal trespass charge.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The employee manual is just that. As a visitor, it doesn't apply to you. Unless they clearly indicate prior to your entry that your presence is agreed upon in exchange for adhering to a no-weapons policy, then if at some point they conclude you're a threat then all they can do is ask you to leave. It's private property, hence their rules. Same as if it were your home. Refuse to do so, then you're playing with a criminal trespass charge.

+1 An employee manual only applies to employees. If the store is not posted go about your business. That policy is in place to make sure the employees do not carry.

also, would you answer change if everyone in the office knew that you had your ccw?

Administrator
    also, would you answer change if everyone in the office knew that you had your ccw?
    No, that doesnt make a bit of difference; and its an example of why you dont blab to everyone about your permit etc. Remember this historical slogan?- Loose lips sink ships- Keep it in the back of your melon when you feel the urge to spill beans.

The employee handbook is for employees. However, Im in the the camp of respecting the business's right to want no guns. So, they will see no guns.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Agreed. You are no longer an employee so the employee manual does not pertain to you at all.

I say carry and just don't tell anyone. The wost they can do is ask you to leave.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Absolutely not. If they choose to refuse me entry, or to kick me out when the revelation strikes them, so be it. If it comes to that, then I'll leave and they'll know why. I'll remain armed and safer ... and, apparently, elsewhere. Not a problem.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My wife still works at my former employer, no way do I disarm when I go meet her for lunch. They don't have the building posted so they can't even get me on that.

I agree with the thought that since you are no longer an employee you are not bound by the employee handbook. If the business is not posted according to whatever your state law is, then your free to carry your weapon until your told that they want you to leave.

On another note, if your not on the clock, and need to visit the store as a customer, assuming it is a retail establishment. Are you permited to carry then? I would tend to say yes, you could carry, since you were not entering the store as an employee but as a customer.

I am not of the mindset that you just ignore the signs or the policy or whatever, it has been many years since I worked for someone else, but if I recall employee handbooks are written for behavior while on the work premises while on the clock. Some may have a section for non work hours, but I don't recall ever seeing any.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I wouldn't worry about it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links