What are the chances of this bill getting passed?

This is a discussion on What are the chances of this bill getting passed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; News - nvdaily.com...

Thread: What are the chances of this bill getting passed?

G19
    G26

None, don't you know that more guns = more murders?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

With people like this getting their stories in the paper - not much. We have a bill in GA that would get rid of a public gathering clause - some hope this will allow carry on campus. It's like they think Cho would have given up on his killing spree had he not been able to purchase firearms. What happens to the people that "snap" after buying their guns and before they have been seen by a medical professional for a mental eval? Remember, NO GUNS=NO MURDERS, RAPES, or ROBBERIES.

Sensible gun laws needed | ajc.com

Sensible gun laws needed

By MICHAEL BISHOP
    Published on: 01/10/08

At 9:40 a.m. on Monday, April 16, 2007, my wife's cousin, Lee Ellis, telephoned. Check the news, he advised. Something was happening at Virginia Tech, where our adult son, Jamie, taught. There were two dormitory murders and bloodshed in an engineering building.

"Jamie has his own house," I said. "He teaches German, not engineering." I could not imagine that at an institution as big as Virginia Tech, our son could fall victim to such peril. I dismissed Lee's warning as alarmist.

Later, though, I knelt in our kitchen to pray. Later, I called my wife, Jeri, at work to say that things looked bad. She drove home screaming. Together, we failed to reach our daughter-in-law, a tenure-track German teacher, by telephone.

Near 6 p.m., cruising up I-85, we learned that, in the gunman's assault, Jamie had died. His wife, kept in the dark all day, spoke by phone, crying, "I'm so sorry you've lost your son." My breath left me, and I let Jeri drive to our daughter's home in Bogart.

We three got to Blacksburg, Va., at 2:30 a.m. Our nightmare intensified.

To make sure that no victim was misidentified, the police would not release a body until it had a totally positive ID. Still, they allowed none of us to identify Jamie because of the backup at the morgue.

Twice, they sent agents to the house for items from which to take DNA samples. And the media hounded us with visits and phone calls.

Not until Friday morning did we see Jamie again, atop a funeral-home gurney, swabbed clean and clad in casual Jamie-style clothes.

Ten days later, back in Pine Mountain, I stopped behind a pickup bearing the sticker "Gun Control: Simple Solutions for Simple Minds."

I served in the military, and my father hunted. I do not wish to confiscate any decent citizen's gun. But soon Georgia lawmakers will debate two bills that, if passed, would steeply undermine public safety.

House Bill 89 would let workers tote guns to corporate parking lots in their vehicles. HB 915, the "Second Amendment Protection Act," would authorize guns at volatile venues like ballgames, political rallies, bars, and postsecondary schools. (I would not teach at such a school.)

The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, dubiously misinterpreted and idolized, does not prohibit states from restricting firearms subject to criminal misuse or from denying guns to persons unfit to possess them.

In 2002, the Bush administration itself announced this discovery to the Supreme Court.

Georgia takes no real action to protect us and places us at risk for events as calamitous as Seung-Hui Cho's Virginia Tech rampage. Like Virginia, Georgia has no statute for background checks at gun shows, no assault-weapon limitations, no waiting period, no requirement for child safety locks, no call for a license/permit to buy guns, and seemingly little patience for any rule that would truly enforce accountability. [M.P. - Which one of these would have stopped Seung-Hui Cho?]

However, the late-December passage of both houses of the U.S. Congress, by unanimous consent, of the NICS Improvement Act (which the NRA limply endorsed) points to a counter-tide. This act requires states to send to the national database for instant background checks the names of all convicted felons, spousal abusers and the violently mentally ill.

President Bush signed it on Jan. 8. Had it been law in early 2007 (a possibility but for the obstructionism of Republican Sen. Tom Coburn from Oklahoma) all 33 of those slain in Blacksburg might still live.

But in Georgia, gun-lobby groups back the Second Amendment Protection Act that denies the latent murderousness of any firearm by implying that everyone should carry, even workers and students. (A pro-gun student group proposed wearing holsters to class to signal their desire to carry on campus.)

Such thinking presages an obligation, not just a right, to bear arms.

Yes, Virginia Tech involves other issues: mental illness, privacy, campus security. But it centers around lax gun laws. As Lu Ann McNabb, friend of slain student Reema Samaha, said last week in Virginia, "Without a Glock, a Walther, and high-capacity magazines," Cho could never have done such damage.

Some say, "More guns make us safer. An armed society is a polite society." Yeah, right. Think Deadwood. Think Iraq. Ask why no one believes nuclear proliferation makes us safer.

Georgia needs no "Second Amendment Protection Act." Georgia needs laws that sensibly protect us. So does every state in this nation.

In the mortuary, I kissed our son's forehead. Even through his clothes, I felt his strange iciness. "His hands are so cold," I said.

"Yes," his widow said. "But if you rub them, they warm up."

I've warmed up. Have the people of Georgia? It's past time to voice our disgust with wrongheaded extremists.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    With people like this getting their stories in the paper - not much.
    *sigh* Yeah, right, allowing licensed people legally to carry guns to these places is a disaster waiting to happen because banning legal CCWs at VA Tech worked out so well...

I understand these people went through incredible tragedy in their lives, but that really is no excuse for drawing the single most illogical conclusion possible from their own experience.

i would say less than a 5% chance.
    after all. currently one out of the 50 states has it

From the article:

A spokesman for Virginia Tech lambasted the first bill, saying its defeat would help make "parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus." A little over a year later, a crazed gunman killed more than 30 students and professors in the worst shooting rampage in U.S. history.
    I hope this idiot can live with himself.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    i would say less than a 5% chance.
    after all. currently one out of the 50 states has it
    Plus or Minus 4%...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links