Traveling to N Indiana via Chicago's Midway

This is a discussion on Traveling to N Indiana via Chicago's Midway within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my CC permit last year and will be traveling more this year. I have to fly in at Midway, then drive over to ...

Thread: Traveling to N Indiana via Chicago's Midway

I got my CC permit last year and will be traveling more this year. I have to fly in at Midway, then drive over to Indiana. IN recognizes my permit, but I was wondering if anyone has had any problems getting thru security for my return trip? I'll follow all the federal regs but don't want to get arrested by some TSA officer in the commie village of Chicago

Don Young Letter

http://www.anjrpc.org/DefendingYourR...s%20letter.pdf

U. S. Department of Justice
    Office of Legislative Affairs
    Office of the Assistant Attorney General
    Washington, D.C. 20530
    February 18, 2005

The Honorable Don Young
    U.S. House of Representatives
    Washington, DC 20515

Dear Congressman Young:

Thank you for your letter, dated June 18, 2003, to Admiral James M. Loy, then- Administrator of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), concerning the applicability of 18 U.S.C. section 926A to persons at airports in New York State who are taking flights to destinations outside of New York. Because section 926A is a provision of the Gun Control Act (GCA), which the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) enforces, TSA forwarded your letter to the Department of Justice for response. We apologize for the delay in responding.

In your letter you explained that local police officers in New York have threatened several individuals at John F. Kennedy International Airport and Albany International Airport with arrest for firearms possession based on strict State laws, and that in at least one case the firearms were confiscated. You explained that: (1) the people carrying the firearms were not prohibited from possessing firearms under Federal law, (2) the people had apparently traveled directly, without any interruption in the transportation, to the airports from other States where they legally could possess firearms, (3) their firearms and ammunition were secured in accordance with all applicable regulations for airline travel, and (4) they were flying to other States or countries where they could legally possess firearms.

You then asked if TSA agrees that section 926A enables these travelers to possess the firearms legally in the New York airports and if so, if TSA would inform local police and prosecutors about this provision of the GCA. We appreciate your bringing this issue to our attention. The Department of Justice agrees that the provisions of section 926A apply to the situation set forth above assuming: (1) the person is traveling from somewhere he lawfully may possess and carry a firearm; (2) en route to the airport the firearm is unloaded and not accessible from the passenger compartment of his car; (3) the person transports the firearm directly from his vehicle to the airline check-in desk without any interuption in the transportation; and (4) while carrying the firearm to the check-in desk it is unloaded and in a locked container. This interpretation reflects the apparent congressional intent in enacting this provision, while allowing State and local law enforcement to continue to enforce their firearms laws aggressively to promote public safety. We will inform the applicable law enforcement authorities of our interpretation of section 926A.

We trust this information responds to your inquiry. If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact this office.

Sincerely,

William E. Moschella
    Assistant Attorney General
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

VIP Member
    Why not fly into South Bend Regional Airport then rent a car? Your gun can be checked through and you avoid driving in King Daleys' Kingdom.

They may arrest you when you fly back. They may not. Your defense may work. It may not.

It stinks, but I think you place yourself in greater peril by bringing it than leaving it.

I've done this trip several times - flying from OH or PA to Chicago and going to IN. I've not had any problems checking back in at O'hare on my return flights.

I have the firearm unloaded and locked in its case and locked in my suitcase when I leave IN and go directly to the airport and check in.

I do not bring my firearm when I need to make any stops in IL.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Why not fly into South Bend Regional Airport then rent a car? Your gun can be checked through and you avoid driving in King Daleys' Kingdom.
    I looked into it, but Southwest does not service South Bend. I can get a direct flight to Midway from my local airport ALOT cheaper. Tks

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Chicago airports are not run like the NYC airports. Not to mention the state laws, although prohibiting transporting loaded firearms or CCW, allow you to transport unloaded firearms in your vehicle or in a case in public. I used to live there and checked firearms in luggage many times, with no problems.

Where in Indiana will you be going?

there are a few options but i am not sure if the prices will be any better.

Fort wayne Indiana. Fort wayne to south bend is about 2 hours.

Also look at flying into the kalamzoo/battle creek intl airport. That is maybe an hour drive from there to northern Indiana(south bend). As long as your CPL is a resident permit for your state you will be good. Michigan only honors resident permits.

The drive from the kalamazoo area to southbend is quick and easy. it is about a 1.5 hour drive.

-James

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I've got a friend in Chicago who always flies out of O'Hare with handguns and has never had a problem. He does comply withe FOID card required. I've flown with him once and there was no problem. I don't think you will have a problem just make sure you follow the rules and laws. Leave your gun packed in your suitcase until crossing the border into IN where its "safe" for gun owners.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Thanks for all the info...I've got to go about 10 mi across the state line, so a Chicago area airport is best for me. Wish me luck.

VIP Member
    10 minutes across the state line? You must be going into the Gary IN area then. No wonder you don't want to be unarmed!!!

Truely a sad place to have to go, but you shouldn't have a problem since you can prove your destination.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Made it with no problems--except taking off into a 30+mph headwind in blowing snow. Tightest my seatbelt has ever been.
    Southwest Airlines personnel we exceptionally nice and the TSA guys looked like they were glad to have something to do. Checked the gun in the case, looked in my bag and then they even carried it to the conveyer belt to send it on its way. You can put Midway on the list of OK places to pass through.

Sponsored Links