Finally applied for my permit today (MI) (Kinda long, sorry)

This is a discussion on Finally applied for my permit today (MI) (Kinda long, sorry) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, after the long and anguishing 6 month residency restriction, I have made the journey to the sheriff's office and applied for my concealed weapon ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally applied for my permit today (MI) (Kinda long, sorry)

Finally applied for my permit today (MI) (Kinda long, sorry)

Well, after the long and anguishing 6 month residency restriction, I have made the journey to the sheriff's office and applied for my concealed weapon permit. I met the sheriff today too, as he was the one at the desk. I called before I left to see if they charged anything for fingerprinting, as the law allows up to a $15 charge for the one minute procedure. They said nope, just the $105 fee that the state charges for the permit itself. Cool, see ya in a bit.

Got on my cycle and rode the 25 miles to the SO. I am a newbie at cycling, so it was good practice, nice ride too. Got there and went into the office and asked if I started here or next door at the Clerk of Court's office. The guy sitting at the desk introduced himself as the sheriff and said he can do the fingerprinting first and then have me go next door and do my "clerk thing with the fee and photo", his words not mine.

Let me start off these next paragraphs by stating this conversation between myself and the sheriff was priceless. By far the most uplifting thing I have ever heard from a LEO. I almost got misty-eyed near the end.

He asked if I was "the fella that just called a while ago" and I said "Yes, I am." He said "Yeah, I don't charge for the fingerprinting thing at all. That is all BS. I figured it only takes a minute or so and its included in your taxes that you pay in. Think of it as a buy one service get one free." I asked him "what about the people who pay taxes but don't get permits?" "Sucks to be them, now doesn't it? Maybe more should come down and get one. The world would be a better place." At this point I want to hug the guy, but I hold myself back, as he is just finishing up with the prints.

"Speaking of charging people for fingerprinting," he says as he hands me the FP card back, " another thing that is BS is this fee for the permit. That is by far the stupidest thing I have heard of besides the term 'assault weapon'." Now I really, really wanted to hug him.

"Why do you think it is stupid? It's more money for the county to use for their county type stuff?" I asked, just to have him elaborate.

He said, "In Murdock v PA, the Supreme Court, in 1943, stated 'no State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.' Carrying a firearm, open or concealed is a right granted by the Second Amendment. Your so called "right to carry" doesn't start at $105, it ENDS at $0. I don't understand how 62 years can change that opinion. Alaska and Vermont have it right, hopefully the rest of the states follow soon. Now, I love money, but I love the Constitution more."

Me: humbly speechless.

"You're all set. Just go to the Clerk, pay the fee, give 'em your photo and you're on your way. The gun board meets the last Thursday of the month, which is the 25th this time. Depending on the speed of the prints going to the FBI by way of the state police, you should have your permit in hand by the end of September. Since you have a FL permit already, it should be a little quicker on the FBI side than normal. Obviously your prints will match in the FBI computer, bring up you have submitted them for a FL permit and it will be smooth sailing, according to my FBI buddy. They have you sign it here and when you get approved, they (the clerk) will mail it to you instead of you coming here to pick it up. And it will already be laminated for you, too. We only need one photo, but I suggest two if you have them, in case you need a replacement, we can just print off another one and mail it to you that same day or you can come in and pick it up, whichever you choose. Just let us know if it happens."

I am weak in the knees with shock and emotion and WOW. I choke back tears. I told him I am glad I stopped in. I said the conversation I had with him was great and that he just sealed my vote for him in any election he ran for.

He thanked me and said for me to be safe and thanks for stopping in.

WOW!!! That was the coolest experience I have ever had in my life. I just can't get over how awesome he is. I just had to share with someone else. I am home alone now.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I gotta agree - WOW! And, Congrats!

Nice wish i could say my experiance in wayne county was the same but that would be a lie

Vote for him twice, once for me please. That is about a 180 degrees from the way my sheriff conducts carry permit busniess. As a matter of fact my sheriff refered to people who want carry permits as, "soft white guys" in a newspaper article once. You are lucky to have this guy.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Administrator

Thumbs up Great!

Now...HE Is One Heckova Guy!
    Oh...almost forgot...Congratulations! On
    your "Up & Coming" 2nd LTC.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

1943 - 2009
    I would definitely volunteer to work for this man's next re-election campaign.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Assistant Administrator
    Doggone it - that is SOME guy!!!

Thanks for the write-up - it was not what I would call long really - just a very very pleasant read. Oh that there were more like him eh.

That is one wonderfully switched-on Sheriff.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Nothing like living in Da U.P. Our sheriff here is pro gun too. Glad to hear ya have no problems getting the paperwork done.

Yeah, I will try to volunteer for his election campain staff. I am still shocked. I was as giddy as a schoolboy today all day. It was hard keeping my mouth shut at work about it. I did tell one guy though, but he has his permit too. He just keeps it in the glove box most of the time. He only has it on him when he goes out at night. Whatever. His choice, I don't preach to him. I give him some crap about being a "part-timer" and our sheep coworkers think it is because he is always late.

Also, it is a very nice change from Green Bay's LE admin. The chief there is very anti-CCW, but ask his officers their opinion and it is totally the opposite. I am just glad I moved up here. The only thing I wish would change, besides gas prices, is my pay. I went from $28K down to minimum wage. Hopefully I will find something different soon.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm
    The only thing I wish would change, besides gas prices, is my pay. I went from $28K down to minimum wage. Hopefully I will find something different soon.
    Ouch hate to tell you though but this is a pretty much dead state

Lead Moderator
    That is nothing short of amazing!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Great story, we need that sheriff in California!

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Ouch hate to tell you though but this is a pretty much dead state
    Yeah, I figured. Calumet is pretty much the same all around. Hopefully Houghton or Hancock is better. My fiance is working for a construction company as a receptionist and is making $9/hr. I will take that. I start classes at Finlandia soon, so my options are fairly limited to my school schedule.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Moderator
    Thery arent all bad...

My sherrif has probably gotten more votes from doing CCW classes than any other thing that he has done.

His common sense approach to the whole operation just makes people feel good, plus hes a pretty personable guy anyway. Ocassionaly, he'll ask me when Im doing another class, because he knows I'll ask him and he likes to do it.

I have a hunch that many of the CLEO's are gun friendly than the news media puts them out to be. Its the antigunners in the big citys that get all of the PR....thus the common perception that all of them are antigun. I've met alot of our sheriffs in the surrounding counties around here and all of them are pretty much supportive of the right to carry. Of course, this is Arkansas. I wouldnt expect the same thing in Illinois or Massachussetts. Its a totally different culture there.

Here in SW Michigan we are primarily rural/agricultural. We are fortunate to have a great Sheriff who is pro-gun, pro-carry. While maybe not as overt as the Sheriff up in the U.P. he is still very supportive of our right to carry. We have a very high density of people who have CCWs although alot of these people do not carry on a regular basis. As my job takes me all over the state to include Detroit, Grand Rapids and Lansing, I carry on a daily basis. My wife, who runs a company in our community, carries on a daily basis. Most of my friends also carry on a regular basis. With all that said, I still meet and know a number of people in this area who are anti-gun and who would have an absolute conniption fit if they were aware of how many people were carrying firearms around them but fortunately, they don't seem to have a clue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links