Defensive Carry banner

The inclusion of cover assessment.

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Zach S 
#1 ·
This is hardly new as we discuss it in passing via other subjects but - thought I'd bring it in as a specific. I think too I know most folk's take on this - it's nothing new.

I took truck into town earlier - had too much to pick up to be able to use bike. ((Oh and quite irrelevant but had to fill up - $60 - 23.4 gall's - yikes - this gettin just crazy. Up in a 15c jump. Ouch and ouch.)). Anyways - parked not far from a beat-up old Town Car - with two seeming punks on board. I got out and locked up, to walk over to store but observed that they were scanning as if planning, something - spidey sense anyways for me. So - I am suspicious!

I doubt very much they were packing but who knows, and there weren't a huge lot of folks around just then. So I continued in my normal yellow but with a hint of orange - and considered the total assessment aspect.

OK don't laugh, but I realized that I had already singled out two cars and a large square concrete base pad for a big sign. So I knew what cover I had should I need it. Shucks, it sounds so paranoid when I write it up!!

Of course - nothing happened and after a few more paces walk, saw their car moving off. It did tho make me realize that it ain't too bad a thing to have some sorta ultra short term plan for cover - just in case. Bit like when driving and approaching a blind curve - ''where could I go if someone comes round on my side''.

It means, including in one's awareness drill - not only scanning and assessing for threats etc but - adding that little bit more as a ''what if'' re cover. It requires constant refresh because each plan is obviously short term - it needs updating all the while. On the rare occasion I am in the big city I do this too - as well as trying to constantly register where folks are from a safety POV.

It almost amuses me now that since carrying, I have extended my awareness by huge leaps, compared with younger years - reckoning it must seem odd and so paranoid to those who live in a cocoon. If you saw me walk out front to mail box you might well laugh too - the scan process is subtle but thoro... and yet almost all times - the roadway is deserted and the front yards I can see are likewise - deserted!

Oh well - it gives me a feeling of being more in control. At my age being laughed at bothers me none. :smile: So - I'm an eccentric - always was!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Most of the time I am scanning everything around me looking at what's going on around me and where I would head should the SHTF. I rarely think about anymore nor does my wife who now automatically takes a seat in a restaurant so my back is not to the door. Just naturally a bit picky about how I position myself or what I turn my back on, I guess.

#4 ·
P95Carry,
Paranoid? Sounds like sound operating procedure to me! Well done!

Imagine how many people would not have even been aware. I really like the awareness concept, but I think the maximum benefit of awareness can only be realized when we combine it with, as you put it, "What if" drills. Awareness without planned response would produce a response without a plan.

I've posted this before, and I wish I could find it again, but somebody's signature line went something like, "Be polite to everyone you meet, but have a plan to kill them." It sounds extreme, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made to me. I think that's exactly the principle you applied; you were not aggressive, over-reactive, etc., but you were preparing yourself to respond effectively to a threat from anyone you met.

I do that too. I was at Taco Bell just a few days ago, filling my cup at the coke machine and a guy walked up behind me to wait for the machine. I looked at him and then moved to one side so I could peripherally observe him. There was nothing suspicious about him, except he was behind me.

YOU DONE GOOD - KEEP IT UP!

#5 ·
Hahaha - as Bumper said - one of our ''classics'' is indeed, the choice of seat in BK or KFC etc - which commands the best view! :biggrin:. My wife too automatically selects the best table and seats herself to leave me the ''hot seat''.

Tangle - that saying '' "Be polite to everyone you meet, but have a plan to kill them." - is one I have found freaks out some folks, not even just anti's, until - I explain it is NOT a ''mission'' to go find someone to kill. It is purely the approach based on ''what if'' - tho some still find it hard to fully accept.

Those who best understand are, like us - at least into some semblance of practice, training and use of awareness. Call it survival - that works too.

#6 ·
Paranoid is bad but cautious is good.

I would say you are being cautious P95Carry. I do it all the time as every situation is different. On yellow allert you see someting that is out of place or gets your attention in a negative way, you go to orange, or at least partial orange.

The other day the wife and I were out for a hike. The trail lead under a major highway. Upon approaching this area my alert level went up as you don't know who may be living under a highway overpass. We also had our dog with so she would have been warning us in advance too so that helps. Nothing came of it but there is nothing wrong with from time to time elevating to a higher color.

#7 ·
P95Carry said:
Hahaha - as Bumper said - one of our ''classics'' is indeed, the choice of seat in BK or KFC etc - which commands the best view! :biggrin:. My wife too automatically selects the best table and seats herself to leave me the ''hot seat''.
Same here, if fact, I just got back from lunch, Taco Bell again, and sat in "the" booth that gave me a clear view of both doors and most of the resturant.

We kept two teens on a temporary basis for about two months and they caught on very quickly to the "tactical" table concept and would find it and leave the, as you put it, "hot" seat for me.

P95Carry said:
...that saying '' "Be polite to everyone you meet, but have a plan to kill them." - is one I have found freaks out some folks, not even just anti's, until - I explain it is NOT a ''mission'' to go find someone to kill. It is purely the approach based on ''what if'' - tho some still find it hard to fully accept.

Those who best understand are, like us - at least into some semblance of practice, training and use of awareness. Call it survival - that works too.
I have to admit, I came close to a freak-out when I first read it, but you are so right, it's not a mission, it's a protective, defensive lifestyle.

I am reluctant, however, to call "it" survial; In a life threatening situation I want to win and win big.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.