Bullet set back reminder - Page 2

Bullet set back reminder

This is a discussion on Bullet set back reminder within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This reminds me of a story I read a while ago: LP: Catastrophic Failure of Semiautomatic Handguns Catastrophic Failure of Semiautomatic Handguns VERY important information ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet set back reminder

This reminds me of a story I read a while ago:

LP: Catastrophic Failure of Semiautomatic Handguns

Catastrophic Failure of Semiautomatic Handguns VERY important information regarding your auto loading pistols:

Catastrophic Failure of Semiautomatic Handguns

The following bulletin was received from the New Jersey State Police - Officer Safety Division

Date: February 23, 2007

Continuous reloading an chambering of the same round may cause catastrophic failure in semiautomatic handguns.

The Security Force at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in Los Alamos, New Mexico, recently reported on the catastrophic failure of a semiautomatic handgun when it was fired. The internal explosion caused the frame to break while the slide and barrel separated from the weapon and traveled down range. No one was injured in the incident. An investigation revealed that security personnel were repeatedly charging the same round of ammunition into the chamber.

Technical personnel at Glock Inc. advise that repeated chambering of the same round may cause the bullet to move deeper in the casing, further compacting the propellant. When a normal cartridge is fired, the firing pin hits the primer, igniting the propellant. When the propellant burns, the gas pressure drives the bullet out of the case and down the barrel. However, if the propellant has been compact, the pressure may increase beyond the gun's maximum specifications, causing the weapon to break apart.

Sigarms Inc's personnel confirm that reloading the same round five or six times will cause the problems, noting that reloading the same round even once will void their warranty.

Both manufacturers stress that the problem is not with the gun, but with chambering the same round repeatedly. The NJ Regional Operations Intelligence Center urges all law enforcement officers not to chamber the same round when loading their weapons.

***For example, when you clean your weapon, most of us drop the magazine and then pull the slide back thereby ejecting the round in the barrel.

After cleaning the weapon many of us will return the "same" round to the barrel that we initially extracted. Each time the slide slams forward on that same round it seats it deeper into the cartridge. Apparently, by seating the round deeper into the cartridge, it creates greater pressure when the round is intentionally detonated by a firing pin strike and is causing weapons to explode.

One point of caution if you reset the bullet, if you can, resizing the case mouth may be a good idea to renew tension on that part of the case where the bullet has slipped. I don't know for certain, but assume as the bullet slips downward, it enlarges the case mought as well.
    One other thought would be to reset the bullet and designate that one to the practice loads.
    You do practice a little with you carry loads don't you?

Rocky; I used to have the problem you displayed as well with my .45s in general, and I cured it one day while at the 1998 Area 4 championship by purchasing what were then prototype magazines made by Virgil Tripp that eventually became known as "Cobramags". he designed these magazines to sit higher in the feed area by a couple thousandths of an inch, initially to eliminate the classic problem of rounds nose diving into the feed ramp. these mags seat the round higher, so they have little or no contact with the feed ramp.

I have used these mags ever since with no problems, and original springs.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Ruger's self loading center fires sit the mag way up high also; it's almost a straight line shot from mag into chamber.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Is it the feed ramp that is doing this, or the slide slamming the round home in the tube?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I avoid this by loading the mag to capacity, then drop one in the tube, then release the slide. Never have any problems doing it this way
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Is it the feed ramp that is doing this, or the slide slamming the round home in the tube?
    It happens when the bullet hits the remp, then a second time when it strikes the top of the tube. Its the combination of the 2 contact points. As I stated above, simply insert the round directly into the tube prevents setback
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    I avoid this by loading the mag to capacity, then drop one in the tube, then release the slide. Never have any problems doing it this way
    Not a good pratice with 1911 platform guns! The result can be a broken extractor. It's not a problem for me, as my carry guns stay loaded all the time. Mine get cleaned after firing, or when required by extreme conditions or circumstance. Then I rotate the rounds in the mag. Once a year I burn my carry ammo in my primary mag, and my #2 mag becomes my primary. then the cycle starts over. My primary carry is a Kimber Pro Carry and it is quite easy on feeding rounds. It feeds empty cases without problems, loaded rounds don't slam into the feed ramp when hand cycling either. A good way to deterime how much bullet contact with the feed ramp is to color the bullet with a marker and chamber the round normally. That will give you some idea of how much setback to expect. My Sigs and Glocks have more bullet contact with the ramp and set back a little sooner. A quick visual of the ammo will identify a bullet that has been set back quickly.
    Good Shooting~
    str1

Good reminder. Hopefully I'm avoiding this issue by firing the round in the tube and the next one up from the mag when I go to the range.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

it also happens to the second round on a "double feed" mafunction. (thats where i see it happen most.) so make sure you inspect any ammo from such a malfunction before you try to reuse it.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

I carry chambered and hardly ever download anymore. If I do, I'll only do it 2 or 3 times before firing. I've never had a problem.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Bullet setback doesn't just happen on the feed ramp. The actual dimentions of the chamber can also cause this. Some guns are more famous for this than others.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Isn't this asking for a slam fire? I havn't loaded much for my 1911 yet but this is a big no no for my M1-A.

Michael

Administrator
    As Bobcat stated it can also happen on a double-feed malf.

With a 1911 if you are getting bullet set-back during normal chambering then it is worth having a throat job done and having the pistol professionally tuned so that cartridges have a smooth and effortless transition from the mag into the chamber.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

How much set back is to much. At what measurement should you shoot up your bullets and at what point should you discard them to the dumpster. Right now I have some .40 s&w HST's that are .006 of an inch shorter then new should I keep them in rotation or shoot them up?
    I think if we had a real measurement to watch for it would help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links