Bullet set back reminder

Bullet set back reminder

This is a discussion on Bullet set back reminder within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some guns are more prone to bullet set back. atleast quicker than other designs. this is a cartridge that had been loaded approx. 8-10 times(I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet set back reminder

Lead Moderator

Bullet set back reminder

Some guns are more prone to bullet set back. atleast quicker than other designs. this is a cartridge that had been loaded approx. 8-10 times(I think) in my Springfield Armory Champion 1911 4". It is a one piece feed ramp which is steep. The ammo doesn't easily feed during hand loading, although functions flawlessly shooting.
    I noticed this after clearing my pistol to do the routine monthly cleaning . I believe this cartridge got mixed with newer ammo. Typically I try to rotate out my ammo every 3-4 months to avoid this type of problem. I have found setback in other cartridges, but never this severe.
    A brand new Fed hydrashock measures 1.206 COL
    The set back hydrashock measures 1.122 COL

Lesson here, check your carry ammo. the more you load/unload the more likely you will see bullet setback soon.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Good reminder. I've forgotten how many times i have chambered the same round over and over. Time to replace them.
    Texas Citizens Defense League©

http://txcdl.org/

me
    Thanks for the reminder I will be checking mine when I get home to my gun. I have not had it on me for the better part of 3 days now and it feels rather weird. But I legally can not carry at work (EMS) and have been working 8 on 8 off for the last 3 days, today was 10 off 13 on thankfully I am on the back 2.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

is it safe to fix ammo that has happened to? i've seen it happen in M16/M4's alot and i've noticed differant range NCO's doing differant things. some pull the bullet back to its correct seat, some place it in a can to turn in as defective and some fire it as is. what would a correct procedure be?
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat35 View Post
    is it safe to fix ammo that has happened to? i've seen it happen in M16/M4's alot and i've noticed differant range NCO's doing differant things. some pull the bullet back to its correct seat, some place it in a can to turn in as defective and some fire it as is. what would a correct procedure be?
    If you reload, use a kinetic bullet puller to remove the bullet from case. You can then use your press to reload it properly.

Lead Moderator
    Firing it while setback will cause unsafe pressures in the chamber. I just thew out the round , after taking pictures. My gun and health are worth tossing a few unsafe rounds. I suppose I could pull it, then reload the round to proper depth since I reload, but it seems like too much work with recovering the powder after pulling the bullet.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Wow Rocky. That is a pretty dramatic example of set back. Probably one of the worst I have seen. Glad you noticed it before you might have had to fire that round.

Good reminder. Thanks.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Glad you noticed it before you might have had to fire that round.
    Yeah, me too.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Every time I take a round out of the chamber I empty the mag, keeping the rounds in order, and put the one from the chamber at the back of the line. My CBOB has a tight chamber, so I try not to cycle any one round into the chamber more than 3 times.

YMMV
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Assistant Administrator
    That's a bad one Rocky - for sure

I do check mine but am lucky that in the SIG it is all but a non issue ..... I keep a gauge handy tho to check a round that has been ''off top of mag'' .... just to be sure.

Make a simple OAL gauge out of a piece of scrap steel or heavy plastic - aluminum will do too - cut out a ''U'' shape and file it until it is exactly the ref size you want - if a round goes thru with free play up and down - pitch it of course - or disassemble and re seat bullet and crimp..
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Good idea Chris, my buddy works at a machine shop , so making a few OAL gauges is no problem.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You know i read about this a month or 2 ago on this forum i believe, now i dont rack em in & out of my Glocks very often but ive been looking at them since i read it the 1st time & so far i havent seen one & i use the Federal Hydrashok as well. I guess iam lucky so far or maybe its not a big problem for Glock.........

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    That's a bad one Rocky - for sure

I do check mine but am lucky that in the SIG it is all but a non issue ..... I keep a gauge handy tho to check a round that has been ''off top of mag'' .... just to be sure.

Make a simple OAL gauge out of a piece of scrap steel or heavy plastic - aluminum will do too - cut out a ''U'' shape and file it until it is exactly the ref size you want - if a round goes thru with free play up and down - pitch it of course - or disassemble and re seat bullet and crimp..

Good idea.....thanks

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packin_glock View Post
    I guess iam lucky so far or maybe its not a big problem for Glock.........
    My G20 loves to do it with some types of ammunition if I constantly rack them. It takes it only about 3 times so I have to be wary. Every auto will do it eventually though if you keep racking the same round over and over.

Good reminder though. That bullet would for sure have made a big "BOOM".
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I usually get a fresh round from the box to compare with the chambered round before re-chambering. If I re-chamber a round more than three times, it longer goes down the pipe.

Thanks guys, that's a new one on me.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links