Visiting USC. What are my options?

This is a discussion on Visiting USC. What are my options? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this has been handled a million times, but if you do a search on California, nothing comes up. Me thinks the search feature ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting USC. What are my options?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Visiting USC. What are my options?

I know this has been handled a million times, but if you do a search on California, nothing comes up. Me thinks the search feature needs disassembly and cleaning.

In any case, I am taking my daughter down to Los Angeles to visit USC in a couple of months. USC is notorious for not being in a great area of town. I don't believe you can carry in Kalifornistan, so am I just out of luck? What are the options here?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

My daughter attends Occidental College, and her boyfriend is at USC. No carry there buddy! You're right about the USC neighborhood. One of the most prestigious universities in the nation, in one of the worst neighborhoods in the nation. Skid Row is next door, and yes, it's really a place. By all means, get her on-campus housing. You do NOT want her walking or taking the shuttle from the surrounding neighborhoods.

You are out of luck in California. Gun needs to be in a locked case completely separate from any ammo, and I still wouldn't go on campus grounds with it in the car.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

i recomend you carry (and if she chooses that schoolhave her carry) OC, Bright flashlight, knife, taser if its legal

and maybe a sincgars set to the nearest airforce training freq
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

You can bring a firearm into California, for carrying in your residence (either permanent or temporary [ie, hotel room]). So long as it conforms to the bans on certain weapons, you should be fine to carry inside your residence/room. But, outside, you're out of luck, yes. While traveling, transport it in a locked case separately from ammo, as indicated by others.

Remember, California is a 10rd-max place, though I don't recall if this pertains to firearms being brought in for personal use on a trip, like you're going to do. Wouldn't surprise me. Perhaps someone else can point out the relevant statute covering this element.

In the end, pepper spray, a short knife, a good cell phone, walking in small groups, going near campus only during daylight hours ... each of these can help.

As for where to live at USC, anything you can do to avoid walking the streets within 2mi of that campus will be a good thing. It can be dangerous, there, to a degree that's as bad as anything you've heard of in the continental U.S. Amazing, eh? Welcome to the gun free zone.

On-campus housing will help, yes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I lived many years in Los Angeles and finally moved out. And yes, USC is located in a crappy neighborhood. In addition to pepper spray, small knife and flashlight I think a small body alarm might help. My sister went to USC and she carried a flashlight, pepper spray, a body alarm on her keychain and always has her cell phone with her. Also, I am not sure about this but I think any pistol/revolver under 3 inch barrel length is not allowed in LA city limits. I say this because the gun store I shopped at didn't sell short barreled handguns and it said in their ads not available in LA. But their other store outside LA did sell them. Be safe.

gun free zone? more like Free Fire Area for every BG out there. i'd rather be in the "green zone" in iraq.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat35 View Post
    gun free zone? more like Free Fire Area for every BG out there.
    Yup. That's exactly what such places are, in actuality. Criminal Empowerment Zone. Right next to the Stop-n-Rob, which is right next to police precinct #12's headquarters. Welcome to L.A.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; January 13th, 2008 at 10:16 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I'd steer her to another school, in a gun friendly state! Having a degree from a big name school like USC may be nice on your first resume, but in reality what you know and how you do your job will eventually mean more to her future.

hello exactlymypoint...... i travel often from arizona to CA.. and lived in CA for 30 years...... could never get a CCW permit.... anyway, pepper spray, defensive training and stay out of bad areas...... fyi here is a web site that you can find out all you ever wanted to know about firearms in CA... and good luck......
    Traveling with Firearms in California - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

jimb

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'd steer her to another school, in a gun friendly state! Having a degree from a big name school like USC may be nice on your first resume, but in reality what you know and how you do your job will eventually mean more to her future.
    Well, for the price of the school, I could hire a full time body guard. It would be cheaper.

I was thinking about buying her a car so that if she does live off campus, she wouldn't have to take public transportation.

She wants to be a movie director. I always believed that you should strive for excellence and USC is the BEST school in the nation for this. Whether she gets in or not, and whether we get financial aid, well that is another story. I know they have scholarships for things like football, but I doubt they have scholarships for the shooting team. Maybe we should start a Defensive Carry scholarship fund.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

When I was in LA a few years ago, ya had to take a "class" (what a video) before you could buy/posses OC or CN (?) spray. Dunno if this still applies...
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    My daughter attends Occidental College, and her boyfriend is at USC. No carry there buddy! You're right about the USC neighborhood. One of the most prestigious universities in the nation, in one of the worst neighborhoods in the nation. Skid Row is next door, and yes, it's really a place. By all means, get her on-campus housing. You do NOT want her walking or taking the shuttle from the surrounding neighborhoods.

Well we tried to get UCLA to trade neighborhoods with us, but they refused!!

(MS, USC '82)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Other than Univ. of Utah, is there any other college where carry is legal, even in a pro-carry state? There's a private college near me and the brochure says no carry,even licensed, without permission of the university president.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

No can carry.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links