My daughter thinks I am paranoid

This is a discussion on My daughter thinks I am paranoid within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night my 16 year old daughter and I had an impromptu discussions about guns. She asked if I carry a gun. I told her ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My daughter thinks I am paranoid

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Last night my 16 year old daughter and I had an impromptu discussions about guns. She asked if I carry a gun. I told her that I have been carrying 24/7 for the last week. Good news is she didn't even know. The bad news is she called me paranoid. (No worries, I guess. She has called me worse. I still love her. ) I, of course, responded that I am not paranoid, I am just prepared in case something happens.

We then had a discussion that the fact that I carry is not a topic for general discussion with her friends, nor is the fact that we have guns in the house.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    It's the cultural and media conditioning. In certain circles, the very idea of someone who isn't a cop carrying a gun is considered, at best, "eccentric." The media promotes these very ideas. Can anyone say "police state?"

There is a guy who works with me who is about 25 years old. We somehow got on this topic one day and he used the word, "paranoid." My response was, "Remember those people who were gunned down in that mall in Omaha recently? I bet their loved ones would give anything right about now to have had a 'paranoid nutjob' like me walking around in there with a legally concealed pistol."

He had no further comment.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

16 year olds do have all that wisdom and experience to draw from of course as well...;-)
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I have been carrying 24/7 for the last week.
    Do you carry IWB or OWB while in pajamas?

Just tell her that you'd rather have a gun and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I hereby give you permission to use my all-time favorite response to the classic question:

Q. "Daddy, why do you carry a pistol?"

A. "Well, honey, a rocket launcher is too hard to conceal."
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

My daughter basically told me the same thing when she was 18. My reply was: it's my business, not yours. I believe in tough love for children and I don't always say what they want to hear; but, at 22 she's doing great and at at 32 my son has 2 Masters Degrees and will be graduating from a Ivy Leaque Law School in a few months. Proud, absolutely, and they deserve the wonderful life they have worked for. Me, I still love working.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Cheers,
    Herk
    skandranon likes this.

Talk to her about her "paranoid" seatbelt usage while in a car. Most people go they're whole lives without being in a car accident. It's paranoia that has them wearing a seatbelt.

Worked for my 17 year old.

Also asked her if I was paranoid for getting new fire extinguishers for the house and one for the truck. Wearing a helmet, the list goes on and on.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

VIP Member
    My kids are too young to know better. My son is two, and since he walks around the house going bang or pow-pow with just about any made up gun he can find. I don't think he will give me any problems. My daughter on the other hand is only six months, and I dread the day her school friends start telling her that her parents are paranoid gun nuts. I hope she will have the courage to stand up to the liberal world! I plan to indoctrinate her young.

It's good you've had this talk with your daughter, she will eventually come around. Both my daughters have carried mase for some time, my 21 year old son has his cp. They are very aware there are bad people out there. It helps they have been around guns their whole lives. They have grown up hunting and fishing. It makes a difference I think.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting..."have a gun""

I have two daughters, one is 6 and the other is 13. The thirteen year old knows that I carry most all of the time. She has even "covered" for me in the past. "Hey dad, I can see the print of your gun under your shirt." Of course for her, she looking for it. I catch her sometimes hugging me just to see if she can find it. Last week I purchased a Kel-Tec PF-9 that she couldn't find. She said, " I know you have a gun somewhere dad, now where is it?" Then at the end of the night I pulled it from my waistband to show her that infact I was carrying. We have had the discussion about not talking to her friends about my CCW and that it's not something that we discuss in public. I want to add that I can use this as a lesson for her when I don't carry. I tell her that I'm not carrying because we'll be in a "gun free" zone like a school or something. If we go to a resturaunt that serves alcohol (Pizza Hut), she knows that I'm not going to break that law. Hopefully she will remember things like this later. Both of my girls are exposed to firearms and they love to go shoot with dad.
    Last edited by STORMVET; January 13th, 2008 at 07:56 PM.
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I told her that I have been carrying 24/7 for the last week. The bad news is she called me paranoid.
    She's young. And foolish, if she believes that carrying = paranoia. At minimum, she should appreciate the conviction required to be a parent, and the degree of responsibility required to ensure the safety and security of loved ones, at all costs. She should appreciate the degree of attentiveness and preparedness it takes to walk through the world with eyes wide open, instead of yawningly shut as most people do.

She might be surprised by the map of local crime, in your area, over the past 5yrs. Folks get killed all the time, due to the willing burying of the head in the sand or up the wazoo. She's about to be an adult and be out there herself. Time to wake up, kid. Time to wake up.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ccw9mm; January 13th, 2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Cheers,
    Herk
    ^^^^^

VIP Member
    The seat belt, helmet, fire extinguishers, etc are all good examples to use and overcome the "paranoid" issue. A while back 5 of us (family members) were eating out one night in a little cafe. The subject of ccw came up, and we did a quick poll (quietly) and 3/5 were ccw. No one had planned or previously mentioned it. We had a good laugh; rather than be questioned I think a lot of my family would be upset if I were out w/o my ccw.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Funny...my daughter thinks the same thing in one breath and thankful in the other.

Rick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links