Ms state law?

This is a discussion on Ms state law? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Me and a few of my friends would like a little help here. This is Ms. state law! Would you say any restuarant that serves ...

Thread: Ms state law?

Ms state law?

Me and a few of my friends would like a little help here. This is Ms. state law! Would you say any restuarant that serves beer is primarily devoted to food and not beer or would there have to be like 51% to 49%one way or the other. Wouldn't there primary business be food. The way I read it if you can drink there you can not carry.
    My buddy thinks this refers to bars only or places that does 51% of there business in alcohol. Is this how most states word it.
    13) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed pistol or revolver into any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1, Mississippi Code of 1972; any police, sheriff or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his courtroom; any polling place; any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any public park unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms; ______(((any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose______)))); any elementary or secondary school facility; any junior college, community college, college or university facility unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; inside the passenger terminal of any airport, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal if the firearm is encased for shipment, for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; any church or other place of worship; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. In addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited." No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize the participants in a parade or demonstration for which a permit is required to carry a concealed pistol or revolver.

2. Remove Ads

This is how the Mississippi law reads:

SEC. 45-9-101 Mississippi code of 1972 deals with the carrying of a firearm:

No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed pistol or revolver into any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1, Mississippi Code of 1972; any police, sheriff or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his courtroom; any polling place; any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any public park unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises...
    What this means is, it is perfectly legal to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol (beer, wine, hard liquor) as long as you stay out of the bar area while carrying. I believe you are legally required to abstain from consuming alcohol while carrying also but I am not 100% sure on that.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Not quite!

Here is the section in its entirety:

any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose;

While Mississippi does not a have 51%-49% regulation; if it's a bar, honky tonk watering hole, etc. and that's about all you can do there is drink...it's illegal.

If it's a restaurant that serves alcohol, permitted CCW is ok, anywhere on the premises.

No, I'm not a lawyer, but I have had many friends, both LE and in the legal profession tell me that sitting in the bar at Chili's, TGI Fridays, etc. is perfectly within the law.

Mississippi CCW law does not address alcohol consumption while carrying. But if you are carrying, it's not very smart to drink.

Links