Defensive Carry banner

Paranoid?

3K views 35 replies 26 participants last post by  gunthorp 
#1 ·
Do your wives think you're paranoid? My wife thinks I'm paranoid because I am buying alot of guns and applying for a CCW. I don't think I'm paranoid and I don't think anyone here is paranoid. I like to call it a hightened state of awareness!

#4 ·
Paranoia is a word with flexibility of interpretation these days.

Below are some definitions - and these are covering quite a lot of ground. perhaps the most accepted is -
1 : a psychosis characterized by systematized delusions of persecution or grandeur usually without hallucinations
2 : a tendency on the part of an individual or group toward excessive or irrational suspiciousness and distrustfulness of others
The word has become somewhat ''vernacular'' and is used rather loosely. For us I think it refers to the "excessive or irrational suspiciousness and distrustfulness of others" and then, the way other folks view our behavior. I do not for myself see any psychosis problem :biggrin:

To most here I would not I think be seen as paranoid - but to many who are condition white sheeple, then I expect they would happily ascribe that label! So much is in the eye of the beholder and their comparison between their own life style and ours.

I doubt any more my wife thinks me paranoid - well, only as a joke! More, I think she realizes that I am not a willing victim and have my and her safety at heart. She would now I suspect just admit that I am somewhat ''hyper alert'' and maybe ''he worries a lot'' :smile:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 entries found for paranoia.
par·a·noi·a ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-noi)
n.
A psychotic disorder characterized by delusions of persecution with or without grandeur, often strenuously defended with apparent logic and reason.
Extreme, irrational distrust of others.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Greek, madness, from paranoos, demented : para-, beyond; see para-1 + nous, noos, mind.]

[Download Now or Buy the Book]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

par·a·noi·a (pr-noi)
n.

A psychotic disorder characterized by systematized delusions, especially of persecution or grandeur, in the absence of other personality disorders.
Extreme, irrational distrust of others.

Source: The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Main Entry: para·noia
Pronunciation: "par-&-'noi-&
Function: noun
1 : a psychosis characterized by systematized delusions of persecution or grandeur usually without hallucinations
2 : a tendency on the part of an individual or group toward excessive or irrational suspiciousness and distrustfulness of others

Source: Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

paranoia

n : a psychological disorder characterized by delusions of persecution or grandeur

#5 ·
There is is difference between being "paranoid" and being "perceptive"....

Which brings me to an interesting story. One of the friends I go to church with wanted to do a "ride along" with me in the patrol car. Knowing I was a reserve deputy and getting into some interesting moments occasionally, he had been inquiring about it for several months.

The stars lined up just right and he finally got a chance to go. As I eat out with him and his family everynow and then, the discussion of guns comes up once in a while, he has a permit, that he got from me, but he never carried unless he was going on a trip. He simply never felt the need.

As it turns out, we had a busy night. We had 2 "suicide" calls, 3 domestic disputes, one with gun, one with drunk,arrested one and took to the ER, stopped several vehicles, and arrrested 2 crack heads that were wanted on felony charges from one of the traffic stops. We went to two loud noise complaints and busted up one rather large party and did two "welfare checks" of kids with parents that looked like they descended straight from hell. One house was such a pigsty that we smelled like stale piss after spending a few minutes in it. With several other assists with local depts. that night, the shift went rather quickly.

It was a busy night for all on shift that night the radio traffic was pretty much non stop the whole time. Normally, its a rather sedate pace with long periods of silence in between transmissions. I say normally. That night was a full moon. When someone tells you that people get crazy when there is a full moon out, beleive them. We have the stats to prove it... :eek:

Anyhow... the shift got over and we parted ways. The next Sunday I saw him at chuch and we decided to go out to eat at the local Pizza Hut. I made it there a few minutes before he did and when he walked in the door, I happended to notice that he was totin. I notice these things because I always "look" to see if I can spot anyone. To my suprise, I could see something printing.Knowing his love for 1911's, I took a wild guess and asked said "whats up with the .45?" He looked embarrased that I could tell and asked me if I could see it. Really I couldnt, but he didnt know that.

His wife just rolled her eyes and said that he had been carrying everywhere ever since
he "rode with me". She even mentioned that he had gotten "paranoid" when he saw what was out there in the world and they had discussed it several times. She told me that she didnt see the "need for it" as we were living in a relativey low crime place that you didnt have to worry about much. I mentioned that maybe her husband had learned something and that his perception of humanity had changed a bit and he agreed.

Now he wants me to take her out for a cruise. I told her that the next time we have full moon she was more than welcome to come with me. Im hoping that she gets to experience some of the "best" that humanity has to offer...

Maybe...just maybe...itll change her perception and she'll understand the difference between being paranoid and perceptive.

Most people that tote have a higher perception level than the average person. Its the average person that uses "paranoid" rather than "perceptive" because they just dont understand. Sometimes it takes a change from the norm to get people to wakeup. When I teach CCW classes, I do my best to make them more aware of their surroundings and to use their head wherever they go. I try to get them from being unaware to aware of everything that talkes place around them.

So the next time your wife metions that you are paranoid, smile at her and just tell her that you are being "perceptive" and that maybe someday she will understand... :biggrin: That ought to stimulate the conversation...

#6 ·
Paranoia?

Otis said:
Do your wives think you're paranoid? My wife thinks I'm paranoid because I am buying alot of guns and applying for a CCW. I don't think I'm paranoid and I don't think anyone here is paranoid. I like to call it a hightened state of awareness!
Hey it's not a question of whether or not you're paranoid. The real question is are you PARANOID enough?

My wife is quite grateful for my heightened state of awareness, since she shares it. That's why we're such a good match! For our first anniversary, she gave me a rifle--what a keeper!

#7 ·
You know, we need a word that means anti-paranoid (besides sheeple) for people that trust too much, are unaware, and even reckless. Then when they call us paranoid, we could call them that.

#11 ·
Otis, my wife thinks I am paranoid too. Well be it as it may, oh well. I will just have to be paranoid. Most people think this world is good and lovely. Well it is not we have some real sickos running around and one must prepare as if trouble is definite even though it is not. Welcome to the club. P.S. she does not know that I am thinking of buying a 870 Express. :rolleyes:

#12 ·
show her the survival forums out there. Talk of killing zombies and end of the world stockpiling. She will consider you much saner. Luckily my girlfriend lies and buys guns equipment. Also working towrd getting her CCW.

#16 ·
Tangle said:
You know, we need a word that means anti-paranoid (besides sheeple) for people that trust too much, are unaware, and even reckless. Then when they call us paranoid, we could call them that.
Liberals? Democrats? RATS? Ooops those are already taken huh? But are they taken by the target group in question?

#17 ·
WHO'S paranoid?

Otis said:
Two things:

First, I'm NOT paranoid! Just ask the folks who FOLLOW me around all day and night.

Second, just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

#19 ·
Some people think that since nothing ever REALLY BAD has happened to them...so far - that probably nothing ever will. Possibly nothing bad ever will happen to them. Maybe something will.
Picking up the newspaper...switching on the TV news...searching the web shows you that very bad and horrible things happen to very good people every single day.

Innocent people become undeserved victims of violent crime all the time.
The lucky ones get to go to the Hospital Emergency Room :sad: & the unlucky ones get a trip to morgue. :dead:

I would rather have the chance not to go to either place.
I like to take positive measures to help make sure that I go home at the end of my day. :smile:
Call that what you will.
Whatever name you give that is OK by me.

#20 ·
Call that what you will.
Whatever name you give that is OK by me.
That QK is simply taking responsibility for oneself and those dear.

The old ''it can't happen to me'' syndrome should really be replaced by ''it CAN happen to me'' approach. That is what I try and follow - which includes my ''don't assume'' and ''expect the unexpected'' maxims.

Safer way to go and it ain't (for me) paranoia :smile:

#21 ·
Remember, cautious is good, parinoid is not. I think you are being cautious just as I am. My wife was luke warm to guns at first. I slowly convinced her of the benifits. While she will never carry a gun herself she knows why I do.

#23 ·
When my neighbor asks me why I carry, off duty. I tell her "its a compulsive disorder". Then I tell her, "Im self aware and very sensitive about my affliction". :sad:

When she decides thats not good enough of an answer. I tell her that "I think its better to have and not need, than to need and not have".
I also like to ask people why they own a fire extinguisher's, if there not worried about their home burning?

#26 ·
I just introduced my wife to shooting a .22 rifle and she LOVED it. Now she wants her own FID. So, she isn't as paranoid herself as she was before hand.

I say try introducing your wife to the concept by asking her to take the NRA class with you. She may warm up to the idea.

However, to answer the question. when I got my LTC my wife looked at me and said with an exasperated voice "You're ready for your 3rd degree black belt! What the hell do you want to carry a gun for???"

I love her to bits, but sometimes it's painful tolerating her ignorance.....lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.