Denver National Stockshow and Rodeo

This is a discussion on Denver National Stockshow and Rodeo within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know if the Denver National Stockshow and Rodeo is marked "No Weapons" and if so does it say no knives?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denver National Stockshow and Rodeo

Denver National Stockshow and Rodeo

Does anyone know if the Denver National Stockshow and Rodeo is marked "No Weapons" and if so does it say no knives?

2. Remove Ads

I could not find anything on their website, and I never go. Try these.

General Info & Customer Service
    303-295-6124
    nwtickets@nationalwestern.com
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Why Ask

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I could not find anything on their website, and I never go. Try these.

General Info & Customer Service
    303-295-6124
    nwtickets@nationalwestern.com
    If you ask them the answer is always no!! Even places you are allowed to carry will say no, like DIA!

I don't know about the stock show... but ANYTHING held at the convention center is no guns, since the convention center itself is posted. I learned this the hard way going to one of the many outdoor/sportsman shows they had there. Couldn't find anything on the web and carried... saw the "no guns" on the door. That might be what you have to do as well for the Stock Show.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    If you ask them the answer is always no!! Even places you are allowed to carry will say no, like DIA!
    Don't ask specifically, just ask if there is a web link to the rules and regs for things like coolers, baggage, open containers, prohibited items...

"I don't want to park in the north 40, get to the doors and find out that I brought something that I can not bring in and have to hike back to my vehicle to store."

Since BlackPR already answered the "Gun" question, and there is still room for doubt on that one given CO laws, the above method will work for any event if there is question about weapons.

The next question; is the NCC public (state/city owned) or private. If public there is a huge pile of rules that they have to meet to stop you from bringing in a CC. Private is hazy.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Since BlackPR already answered the "Gun" question, and there is still room for doubt on that one given CO laws, the above method will work for any event if there is question about weapons.
    My answer was really about the convention center... the stock show isn't there. It's at the national western stock complex. So I didn't really answer it. In the case of the convention center, apparently knives would be okay, since their "no gun" sign consists of a picture of a gun in a red circle with a slash through it.

Interestingly, I kinda laughed since the gun picture they used was a 1911 style pistol... I wondered if that would make a revolver okay -- and just what do they have against the 1911?
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    My answer was really about the convention center... the stock show isn't there. It's at the national western stock complex. So I didn't really answer it. In the case of the convention center, apparently knives would be okay, since their "no gun" sign consists of a picture of a gun in a red circle with a slash through it.

Interestingly, I kinda laughed since the gun picture they used was a 1911 style pistol... I wondered if that would make a revolver okay -- and just what do they have against the 1911?
    Oops, my bad. Either way the question still applies, is the Stock Show Complex private or public?

Regards to the revolver, with enough money and the right lawyer...Anything is possible, and then the signs will have to be more complex to cover all handgun silhouettes.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

It most likely private. But they may do one of those check bags for bottles, and ask it you have anything that could be used as a weapon.

Concealed is concealed.. if they ask you aren't required to tell. Unless they are posted, or have in place perm metal detectors you can carry.

Just a word of warning, if you do store it in your vehicle, hide the hell out of it. My buddy had his xd-9 stolen this weekend, it was in a bag in his back seat. He was gone about 5 mins before realizing he forgot his camera went back to his truck and everything was gone.

I haven't been to the stock show in a few years, don't remember if you can carry or not, I'd imagine with all the damn cowboys carry is fine.. wouldn't want to **** off their best customers

In years past I have carried knives no problem, no questions.

Unless they have metal detectors or are wanding at the door then Colorado law does not prevent you from carrying concealed with a valid permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Locopelli View Post
    In years past I have carried knives no problem, no questions.

Unless they have metal detectors or are wanding at the door then Colorado law does not prevent you from carrying concealed with a valid permit.
    I thought they may have a sign on the door and have an off-duty DPD officer asking if you have any weapons.

Concealed Carry and Private Property in Colorado

While a subject of debate, most of it incorrect, a sign alone at least in Colorado does not prevent you from carrying concealed with a valid permit. The state law specifically forbids carrying into schools and certain government buildings that have security screening procedures.

With regards to private property, the law states (paraphrasing) that nothing in the statute allowing concealed carry supersedes the rights of a private property owner. I. E. The property owner retains all the normal rights that come with private property ownership. No law is broken by bringing a legal firearm concealed properly onto private property and a private property owner can not "create" a law by merely posting a sign.

IF the private property owner discovers you have a weapon and objects, they are bound by the same remedies available to them under any other circumstances- they can ask you to leave.

They can ask you to leave for any reason. Don't like your haircut? OUT! Don't like your "Secure the Borders, Kill the Terrorist, Punch the Hippies" T-Shirt? OUT! Don't like your kid picking his nose? OUT!

However they can not have you arrested, charged, nor prosecuted for any of the above offenses including legally carrying your firearm. However should you fail to leave as directed, you are subject to a charge of trespassing at the minimum, depending on how hard you make it on them. You will likely be banned from the store in the future and simple entry, with or without a legal firearm, will result in an immediate charge of trespass.

Should an officer working in an official capacity, not moonlighting, be stationed outside an entrance to private property ask you about weapons, then it is best to answer truthfully and comply as directed. An officer working off duty as a security guard on private property arguably has no greater rights to ask you about your state of carry than any other citizen. Should you decline to advise them you are carrying a legal firearm, likely you have committed no offense. They, as could any security guard, request you submit to a search prior to granting entry.

Should you lie and then fail the tactile or electronic scrutiny, no charges should be forthcoming as long as you did not attempt to gain access once denied. You would however, likely be banned and subject to future prosecution for trespass as noted above.

If you are going to be searched, then it is best to avoid the entire confrontation and secure your firearm in a vehicle prior to entry. You WILL NOT win any argument at the entrance and will get banned and/or charged for disturbing the peace.

The above should not in any way be construed as legal advice. I accept no responsibility for any situation arising from someone else's decision on where and when to carry a concealed firearm.

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    Quote Originally Posted by Locopelli View Post
    Should an officer working in an official capacity, not moonlighting, be stationed outside an entrance to private property ask you about weapons, then it is best to answer truthfully and comply as directed. An officer working off duty as a security guard on private property arguably has no greater rights to ask you about your state of carry than any other citizen.
    Denver says that their police are always 'on duty' and that all city/county employees are always representing the city. On a completely unrelated note, Denver has trouble attracting employees who live and/or recreate within the city.

Has the private property posting issue been tested in the courts yet? I haven't heard of any cases.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Regarding the "On Duty" status- this policy was created because the City and County of Denver is self insured and a decision was made to cover via Workers' Compensation injuries sustained while working off the clock after an incident where an officer was injured working a part time security gig.

So the liability shifts immediately to the government as soon as there is an escalation that causes an injury. Legal Tae Kwan Do done for the benefit of the officers and not the citizenry. City and County Fire Fghters are not granted the same de facto coverage and often require an administrative hearing to address their claim.

The "On Duty" status could be argued otherwise and to my knowledge has not been tested in the courts in situations where no crime has been committed. The question would be does lying to an off duty officer constitute a crime. Just because an off duty LEO is querying you about your concealed carry state does not necessarily ban you from legal concealed carry.

If the guy asking is obviously a LEO, on duty or not, the safe bet would be to fess up.

Those of the Libertarian bent would likely choose differently.

Locopelli,

Could you please post the source of your info? I knew that CO private property laws vs. CC were hazy, but have not been able to find anything that remotely describes it.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links