Business removed "NO CCW" sign

This is a discussion on Business removed "NO CCW" sign within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to my gas company today to buy all of my propane for the year. Much to my surprise I see a sign on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business removed "NO CCW" sign

Business removed "NO CCW" sign

I went to my gas company today to buy all of my propane for the year. Much to my surprise I see a sign on the door prohibiting CCW, guns, knives, dangerous weapons, etc. I was not carrying because I had been working on some home improvement projects outside most of the morning and did not want to be flashing my gun to the neighbors while bending over and reaching for things. So as I am not packing I go inside to talk to the manager that I know and have always done business with in the past. At this time I have decided to take my money elsewhere but wanted to let the manager know why. I was told he was in the back and would be available in a few minutes. I decided to leave and would call the manager later to explain why I am switching gas companies. As I am getting in my truck to leave the manager comes around the corner and gives a friendly "Hello" and "How's it going". I followed him to the door then asked about the sign. He told me it was a corporate workplace violence policy. I explained my feelings on the issue and began to politely explain I would be doing business some place else. The manager agreed with my point of view. Well it turned out that the place was under new ownership and the policy no longer applied. The manager had not got around to removing the sign yet but had another employee remove the sign from to door right away. So I went ahead and payed for my pre-buy gas program with no guilt and some satisfaction about the sign being removed.
    I did not change any corporate policy but I made a point and the sign was removed. It worked out well because changing gas companies could be a real pain and would end up costing me more money in the short and long term. I also like the manager as he has always been easy to deal with and helpful with "Propane and propane acessories"(spoken with best Hank Hill voice).
    This is the only No CCW sign I have seen in my area. Anyone else have similar experiences and what kind of businesses in your areas are usually posted No CCW.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

2. Remove Ads

1952 - 2006
    I recently saw one at the local Wally World store when I went in. I was carrying so, of course I went in anyway, commenting to myself that I'd have to find somewhere else to shop in the future. On the way out of the store I stopped to exam the sign more closely and at the bottom in fine print it read, "unless properly licensed". So now I can continue to shop at Wally World.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DC Founder
    Good job, Brian. It is worth the effort of telling business owners and managers that we will not be spending our money in their place of business, and why.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    I recently saw one at the local Wally World store when I went in. I was carrying so, of course I went in anyway, commenting to myself that I'd have to find somewhere else to shop in the future. On the way out of the store I stopped to exam the sign more closely and at the bottom in fine print it read, "unless properly licensed". So now I can continue to shop at Wally World.
    Like that will stop the bad guys....

The mentality of some of these places.
    02PSD4ME

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    In Maine we did that with Blockbuster Video. People would walk up to the front door and ask to see the mgr. We would inform him that we wanted to rent video's but we had a properly licensed weapon. We asked the mgr. if we could come in the store. They would say no so we would walk away. The stores in Maine eventually changed their policy.--------

Every single business that threw me out for open carry in Tucson is either out of business, or under new management. Every one...
    Macy's has a sign that states "No Handguns"....wonder what they would say if I walked in with the Yugo SKS slung....
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Good job to you Brian45 and everyone else who took the time to voice their opinion. Especially when it may mean a little extra money and time for us. Stick to your principles. Sometimes we get good results. Locally we got Circuit City to take down their signs.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    Way to go Brian.

Very fortunately round my area and even in state to large extent - we don't see these absurdities, tho I guess there are plenty of businesses that debar folks from carry.

Should I ever come across such tho I will most certainly verbalize my thoughts to management - on the basis that if I am to be denied my right on their premises then they will do without my business, and any other CCW buddies I may tell.

Hitting ''in the pocket'' is potentially effective ... tho heaven knows we should not have such hurdles to deal with.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe
    Good job to you Brian45 and everyone else who took the time to voice their opinion. Especially when it may mean a little extra money and time for us. Stick to your principles. Sometimes we get good results. Locally we got Circuit City to take down their signs.
    Locally (MA), I was in a Circuit City (probably 4-5 years ago) at the customer service counter and saw a man come down the stairs (thru a glassed-door behind the clerk) from an office upstairs in a jacket and tie, wearing a shoulder holster! Looked like a manager, not a detail officer (they never have those at Ckt City near us).

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Good job.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Cool Creative Boycott with an abject LESSON!

A couple of years ago, there was a big flap about the Denny's restaurant chain in south Florida forbidding CCW Permit holders from carrying inside. We (our IDPA shooting club) used to make it a regular ritual, after the match to take all forty of us to a Denny's and ask to be seated. Invariably, the manager would come out and greet us with $$$ signs in his eyes (KA CHING!) and then one of us would happen to "notice" the warning, after which we'd get all huffy and storm outside with the now wailing manager trailing behind.

Then we'd go to the next Denny's in the area and do the same thing all over again! They never caught on and the corporate guys never send warnings to the chain. I think that stupid policy last about 8 weeks once the other clubs jumped on the bandwagon too.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I live in a town in AZ that is so small that even open carry guys carry in the banks, store, and post office. the only no sign i have seen is in a town near by at a gun store. Their sign just says no loaded guns (to many fools handing clerks loaded guns)

Just trying to disarm us thats all.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

No CCW

I recently returned for CT with my children for a couple of weeks (8/15/05). I stopped at the first exit I came to in OH. I was heading west so this is at the eastern end of the state. I stopped at the Globe restaurant and hotel to eat and then was going to get a room. However as I entered the motel I saw a no weapons sign (the standard sign Ohio uses, saw them at the service plaza's as well) Well I told the desk clerk that I was going to stay there but since they would not let me carry and were denying my constitutional rights I would be taking my business elsewhere and that I would post this on all the forums I am a member of. So here is the first. I did not notice the sign at the restaurant.

So if you are traveling I-80 at the east end of OHIO don't go to the Globe.

Does anyone know if there is a list of anti gun establishments that we can post to according to state? That would be nice list to carry when traveling.

I had a simular experience in Wally World.As I paid for my goods ,one of the managers stopped me and asked me to open my shirt . I asked her why and her reply was to see if I was carrying a weapon.I told her that if I was it must be concealed pretty well if she could'nt tell. But I would gladly open mine if she would open hers up as well. She declined and I was on my way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links