Do We Worry Too Much About Being "Outed"?

This is a discussion on Do We Worry Too Much About Being "Outed"? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There seems to be a fair amout of discussion about being discovered carrying concealed. Admittedly, living in Northern Michigan, there are a lot of neighbors ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do We Worry Too Much About Being "Outed"?

Do We Worry Too Much About Being "Outed"?

There seems to be a fair amout of discussion about being discovered carrying concealed. Admittedly, living in Northern Michigan, there are a lot of neighbors who shoot, hunt or are otherwise gun savvy. Most are fine law abiding folks, but some are not. Almost all know that I carry and practice enough in any kind of semi warm weather to hit what I shoot at. I believe that it creates some respect for an older disabled guy that would not exist otherwise..

While I am reasonably careful to keep the gun covered (we have a somewhat ambiguous definition of "brandishing") it seems to me that here, at least, I am not going to send women and children screaming for the nearest exit if I print. Since our concealed carry law changed to a "shall issue" standard a few years ago, over 155,000 CPLs have issued, and Detroit's local (and liberal) Free Press reported reduced crime stats last Sunday (except in Deroit -- no surpise there!!) which are believed to be, in part, at least, attributable to BG concern about a potential vic carrying.

So I pose the question: do we worry too much about folks being aware of our armed status? I raise the issue for discussion, recognizing that different parts of the Country may have attitudes or even laws that address such matters.

2. Remove Ads

For me, I'm not too worried about printing or being made because open carry is legal in Washington. However, I'm sure some people might freak out if they saw my gun so I do all I can to keep it well concealed. It's also a tactical advantage, being made causes you to loose the advantage of surprise which is a big part of being able to defend yourself effectively.

So I pose the question: do we worry too much about folks being aware of our armed status? I raise the issue for discussion, recognizing that different parts of the Country may have attitudes or even laws that address such matters.
    It's a fair question and my answer is based on my age (71) and my concealed carry experience (45+ years). Early on, I did not think that this was a really big deal but, based on purely personal experience, I sure do now. When someone finds out that you carry concealed (no matter how), the word is likely to spread and that IMHO tends to put the carrier at a distinct disadvantage. Mouth to mouth communication tends to get distorted; attitudes (right or wrong) tend to get formed; expectations and, and very often, will be formed; and that fact that I carry concealed (which is/ought to be a very private matter) can become much more of a public matter than it should be. So, over the many years I have carried concealed I have tended to keep it as private as possible. At this time, only my very closest family actually knows that I carry. While others might suspect I will never confirm/deny that to them. Concealed means concealed - period

FWIW that is my "take" on the matter and I look forward to reading other ideas and opinions
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Concealed means concealed. pretty much. but am I concerned if I am made or I print, definately not. I am legal. Period.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

For the most part I don't care ......too much. I carry concealed and don't want to "show" to anyone. It's nobodys business but mine.

Most people arn't observent enough to notice if I'm printing anyway.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Being new to this I prefer that no one know. I'm not terribly concerned if I accidentally print or flash a holstered weapon in public. Those things happen. I do live in a medium sized town and am not well known.

One thing I never do is ask others if they are armed. I don't care. I don't want to be asked either. Although I know some folks are always armed.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

In this area, being outed is not good. I live in a highly democrat, high-crime area.. I don't want people knowing I have a gun untill they're looking down the barrel.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by jiggz01 View Post
    For me, I'm not too worried about printing or being made because open carry is legal in Washington. However, I'm sure some people might freak out if they saw my gun so I do all I can to keep it well concealed. It's also a tactical advantage, being made causes you to loose the advantage of surprise which is a big part of being able to defend yourself effectively.

I don't think most people give it a second thought or look for people carrying guns. Here in MN were can carry open but I don't. I don't want to scare anybody but I don't worry about printing or part of a holster showing occasionally. I too think that you loose some tactical advantage if it becomes know you are carrying.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    In my small community everyone knows i " trade " guns . Most assume i have a large amount of cash since a lot have seen me buy old colts and old winchesters on site . I presume that they assume i am allways armed , however when i go to town i take care not to appear armed and do my best to tone down my natural " redneck " exuberance .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I haven't really thought about it, I carry concealed, and I try to keep it that way, I am not overyly concerned if my friends know, but being a school teacher I don't want the entire town knowing that I carry, I don't want my job being put into question.

Tdpalmer

I am in a land of liberals where even those who are supposedly conservative are generally "Rudy Republicans." Sheeple is the ingrained state of mind here.

Our permits are completely discretionary with no legal OC. If the issuing authorities have reason to believe you are not carrying properly per their view of the matter you are going to loose the permit and with it the ability to even own a handgun.

Most people here are not even aware it is legal for a citizen to carry a firearm so the immediate assumption will be either cop or criminal.

My wife knows. My dog knows. My friends in two other states who also carry know. You know but don't know my name. That's the end of who knows.

For those reasons I conceal VERY WELL. Flashing is unacceptable, printing is unacceptable, even making a "thunking" sound while sitting down in a booth is unacceptable.

In my situation this is not overreacting and the habits ingrained here do not hurt, but only help, my abilities to conceal in other states where the rules are more lax.

Interesting question:

Truly, I don’t think most people give it any thought, and they are not looking for it like you think they are.

I worked for DOJ for over four years, back in the 90’s. During that time, I carry a G19 in an OWB holster just about everywhere.

Including New York, Chicago, and almost every point in between. Guess what? With the exception of entering a Federal County house, I was never asked for credentials. And even then my buddy walking with me flashed the guard his credentials and I still never had to produce any ID.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Most sheep don't even know that there is concealed carry laws. Think back to before you had a gun, before you carried you weren't walking around thinking everyone had a gun. If you saw a "bulge" in someones shirt the last thing you thought was that it was a gun. I really don't concern myself too often with carrying. If the bottom of my holster sticks out... oh well. If they ask I'll tell them its a colostomy bag.

VIP Member
    I try to stay concealed but if I print it's no big deal to me. Like some of you said most sheep don't even know what they are seeing, or assume you are a member of LE. In response to losing the tactical advantage I'd say that what you loose tactically you gain in deterent value. "Criminals are looking for victims not opponents" (unknown). IMO a bad guy who sees you print (and this is very unlikely in the first place) will probably rethink the idea of trying you out as a victim. Just my 2 cents.

The only people who know that my wife and I carry are my family and some of my wife's family. My family? Well, they all carry also. Now, my wife's family are all liberal and the few who do know have asked when do my wife and I usually carry. Our response to them was " we only carry when we are going some place we believe to be dangerous". To this day it is obvious to us, judging by things they have said, that they believe that we almost never carry. What they don't realize is that we believe that anywhere outside of our house walls to be potentially dangerous, so we carry 99% of the time. We are very, very careful to stay concealed (which is a trick when your around your family) and have never been found out. We have both been carrying since it was allowed to get a CCL in Texas. (can't remember when we first got our license but it has been many years)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links