Anyone here know of any Mass. certified instructors in FL.?

This is a discussion on Anyone here know of any Mass. certified instructors in FL.? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone here know of any firearms instructors in florida who are also certified by the state of massachusetts? I ask as I was informed ...

Thread: Anyone here know of any Mass. certified instructors in FL.?

Does anyone here know of any firearms instructors in florida who are also certified by the state of massachusetts? I ask as I was informed that my application for a nonresident LTC would not processed unless I was given a firearms safety course by an instructor certified by Mass. state police. Has anyone here recently applied for a nonresident LTC if so what did you submit for training and what was the outcome? thanks for any help guys.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I was told by GOAL that ANY NRA Basic Pistol course certificate would do. Another poster said he was told differently by a state (paper-pusher) source. I hope to get to the bottom of this some time tomorrow or Friday and will post the best info I can get, when I get it.

Thank you lenS I was told this when I called to ask about the type of photo I had to send in with the application.

Being in FL I'm interested too.
    Question; How realistic is it to expect to be able to get a MA permit?
    Especially for a non-res.
    Maybe some folks in MA would comment on there experience.
    Re training:i I assume military service doesn't count in MA as it does in FL
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Fish as crazy as it sounds man if your a first time applicant for a mass permit to carry you have to have taken a firearms safety course,the only exception I'm aware of is former mass. LEO. Also the nonresident permits are fairly easy to get I've never heard of someone with a permit form thair home state who had a clean background that was denied if this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Fish as crazy as it sounds man if your a first time applicant for a mass permit to carry you have to have taken a firearms safety course,the only exception I'm aware of is former mass. LEO. Also the nonresident permits are fairly easy to get I've never heard of someone with a permit form thair home state who had a clean background that was denied if this helps.
    Thanks; I'll watch this thread to see the answer re training needed.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Hmn, I got my original training in MA - and was an instructor there too - before the current regime.

For you MA residents, are you forced to take new training? Or is old training (pre MA state police) sufficient ?

I'm still trying to get a definitive answer. Hope to reach a GOAL Staffer tomorrow (she seemed to be out today when I called).

Anyone who held a MA FID or LTC that was valid in 1998 (cut-off I think was June) was "grandfathered" and didn't have to take any course per MGLs. A handful of chiefs have forced applicants for renewal to take them anyway and a couple require it for every renewal . . . all this actually violates the law, but the law also allows for "chief's discretion" about applicant "suitability" and thus the conundrum! Don't do everything they force on you and be prepared to be "denied" or get into an expensive legal battle.

I apologize up-front for not being able to nail down THE ANSWER on the non-Resident questions.

I have now talked with 3 different people at GOAL and received mixed answers.

Regrettably, the best answer I received was for the person concerned to make a call to the Colonel of the Mass State Police and attempt to talk with him directly and ask your questions. Another option would be to Fax a letter to him personally asking for clarification and requesting a Faxed response (written responses always trump "he said, she said" ).

One of the people I spoke with told me that he is suspicious that the Governor may be "changing the rules" with no notice to anyone and thus the rules today may not be the same tomorrow. Indeed the Colonel of the Mass State Police is a political appointee of the Governor and thus can be replaced if s/he does not do as s/he is told! MGLs also give the Colonel the power to make the rules on what's acceptable training for Non-Residents (MGL is very clear for Residents, but it is a different law for NRs) and how the forms need to be filled out to get that LTC-A/ALP (or "none" for restrictions).

Contact info:

Col. Mark Delaney, Superintendent
    Mass State Police
    470 Worcester Road
    Framingham, MA 01702
    508-820-2300
    Fax: 508-879-6941

If you are told it must be a MSP Certified Instructor's certificate, ask him for the names/phone numbers of such instructors that live in your state. [If you are unable to reach the Colonel directly, ask for name, rank and S/N of whomever you do speak with.]

Please report back here what you find out for answers. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    I'm still trying to get a definitive answer. Hope to reach a GOAL Staffer tomorrow (she seemed to be out today when I called).

Anyone who held a MA FID or LTC that was valid in 1998 (cut-off I think was June) was "grandfathered" and didn't have to take any course per MGLs. A handful of chiefs have forced applicants for renewal to take them anyway and a couple require it for every renewal . . . all this actually violates the law, but the law also allows for "chief's discretion" about applicant "suitability" and thus the conundrum! Don't do everything they force on you and be prepared to be "denied" or get into an expensive legal battle.
    You aint lieing

Judge upholds Watertown Police right to deny gun permit - Watertown, MA - Watertown TAB & Press

This is a "discussion" that Keith Langer and I have had many times. I am NOT at all surprised by this ruling. I've never had any faith in fairness or "rule of law" in MA courtrooms. [I learned my lesson the hard way back in the late 1970s when I sued a house-painter in Small Claims Court for non-performance and the judge looked me in the eye and told me that he was NOT going to rule by the letter of the law but rule based on his own beliefs (prejudices). I was intimidated by the system and disgusted with the judge, accepted the judgment for 1/3 the money I was out and walked away shaking my head.]

Thanks for the tips, I'll get my tail in gear before the DEVALUATOR makes it worse.

Should have no problem finding a newly certified instructor, but I'd love to be able to just save the effort.

Anyone who held a MA FID or LTC that was valid in 1998 (cut-off I think was June) was "grandfathered" and didn't have to take any course per MGLs.
    Would a 1992 FID meet the requirement ? I do not believe any course was required for the FID. Just the $2 and 3 months (!!!) of hastle. I have a copy of my FID around here, but for the life of me I can't find my 1995 permit. My permit would have been well before Jun97, I was on my way out of PRM by then :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    Would a 1992 FID meet the requirement ? I do not believe any course was required for the FID. Just the $2 and 3 months (!!!) of hastle. I have a copy of my FID around here, but for the life of me I can't find my 1995 permit. My permit would have been well before Jun97, I was on my way out of PRM by then :-)
    Per MGLs, yes the 1992 FID meets the requirements. If you had a LTC that was issued in 1995 and still valid until 2000 (they were 5 years prior to the law change in 1998), that also met the requirements.

However, as pointed out above, some chiefs make their own rules and require training for every renewal, etc.

Sponsored Links