This carrying in national park thing...

This is a discussion on This carrying in national park thing... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OHHHH, gotta vent! This whole issue about the possibility of them changing the laws so we can carry in national parks is killing me. I've ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This carrying in national park thing...

This carrying in national park thing...

OHHHH, gotta vent! This whole issue about the possibility of them changing the laws so we can carry in national parks is killing me. I've been on yellowstone.net voicing my opinion to people but getting annoyed in the process. First off, I've been out there two out of the last three years and already have my flight booked for this September. I love it there. Always been a nature lover. I am also a big hunter... some people think that you can't be both but that is a topic for another day. ha! Anyway, the stance that people on that site seem to have is that if one of us felt a little nervous around an animal (ex. bison, bear) that we would just start blasting away and it would hurt the park's wildlife. Just so tired of everyone thinking that we are trigger crazy fools that shoot anything that makes us feel uncomfortable! People are simply scared of things that they no NOTHING about... period. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that none of these people have ever even fired a gun so how can they possibly have an opinion on it. Okay, I feel a little better now that I have that out of my system. Have a good day!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the view of the majority of the USA. Really sad state we are in. Do they really think the BG's obey the law and not carry where there is a stupid sign posted. Let one of those bears climb into their sleeping bag and they will be screaming for someone with a gun!!!
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Welcome to the view of the majority of the USA. Really sad state we are in. Do they really think the BG's obey the law and not carry where there is a stupid sign posted. Let one of those bears climb into their sleeping bag and they will be screaming for someone with a gun!!!
    NCH
    You're exactly right. I mean, when I go out there I travel by myself. I just like to enjoy the outdoors like that. I can tell you that it does feel a little uneasy at times when there is no one around on the roads or anything. If someone did try to do something to you, you sure couldn't contact the ranger as cell phones don't get reception. Even if a miracle did occur how long is it going to take one to respond in that huge park? Those people on that site kept saying, "oh, we know that the majority of people carrying are law abiding but there are some that aren't and why should they be able to carry?" That's like saying, "well, I know that most people are very good drivers but some aren't so no one should be allowed to as there could be a terrible accident." Geez
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

It's always been easiest to pass "feel good" legislation aimed at law abiding citizens than to address the real problem.There are plenty of laws already without sacrificing the ability of someone to carry to protect themselves.CCW permit holders have proven themselves to be no risk to the general public at all. In fact we are a benefit as the crime rate ALWAYS goes down when CCW is allowed.keep up the argument for CCW allowed carry.

I think the case we have going here in the area is a good example of why carry should be allowed. I am talking about this guy who apparently stalked Hikers at various trails and parks around the South East. Just caught for killing a young woman and now linked to the death of a elderly Couple... and suspected of many more. He used the remoteness of these places to plan and kill. He may have kept some of his victims alive for a period too. And he reportedly went all over. Right now it looks like NC, GA and SC but maybe even Florida. He is not the only one that has found remote wilderness to be a killing grounds. It looks like this one man alone has killed more people than Bears have in the last couple years. Safe out in the wilderness? I think not.

Good luck trying to make the morons understand. I am not optimistic about the likelihood that you will succeed though.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

The national parks in general I try to avoid on principle.

Now that I know about the firearm law (completely ignorant of it for the last 37 years) just adds to my justification.

Bad enough that they charge motorcycle riders admission per passenger, and everyone else by vehicle...but no firearms...
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    NCH
    Yes they do

My understanding of the prohibition of firearms in National Parks is that it has been around for decades. The original reason was to stop poaching that was going on in places like Yellowstone in particular. Of course now it's more to be the politically correct goverment agency than anything else. The idiots that run the park service are like every other goverment moran lately that just wish to make and enforce rules because they can and it makes them feel important. They really don't care what "we the people" think. Of course we keep electing the same trash to office year after year that allows the cycle to continue
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

There is a lot of serious crime in the parks ranging from robbery to murder.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    There is a lot of serious crime in the parks ranging from robbery to murder.
    One person made the comment on there that if we were allowed to carry that there would be a lot of shot up road signs. Another "serious crime" that would no doubt occur because of us. Gotta just step back and laugh at some of these individuals.
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    Anyway, the stance that people on that site seem to have is that if one of us felt a little nervous around an animal (ex. bison, bear) that we would just start blasting away and it would hurt the park's wildlife.
    Guaranteed, there will probably be a couple that will do exactly that. They'll be properly strung up by the toes for killing endangered animals. For the vast majority, though, like us, life will go on as usual. Having the ridiculous prohobition against self defense removed would no more cause us to lash out with our firearms than having grey socks on would cause us to trip.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Well, maybe their right and instead of a gun, you need to take one of them with you to protect you, fight off thieves and other BG's... or throw to a hungry bear?

Naw... that wouldn't work because you're not supposed to feed the bears!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Well, maybe their right and instead of a gun, you need to take one of them with you to protect you, fight off thieves and other BG's... or throw to a hungry bear?

Naw... that wouldn't work because you're not supposed to feed the bears!
    Nice one!
    Allen

I think Yellowstone qualifies as the nations largest gun-free zone, no?

I go there, and love it. interestingly, I didn't know I could not carry there until I got my CCW.. I have frequently been in yellowstone armed because of that. Now that I know, though.....

There's a woman in that discussion that said she feels safer there than in the city because of the lack of guns. Apparently crime is skyrocketing in national parks. Here's a good article on the subject:

Crime rates tick up across national parks | csmonitor.com
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links