LEO traffic stop and getting "outed"

This is a discussion on LEO traffic stop and getting "outed" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK so I have been carrying for a few months and haven't run into this problem but was just thinking about it. Say I'm in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LEO traffic stop and getting "outed"

OK so I have been carrying for a few months and haven't run into this problem but was just thinking about it. Say I'm in a car with some friends and I get pulled over for a traffic stop (I know- don't speed and drive careful). I'm required in MN to declare that I have a permit to carry. My problem is I don't want my friends to know I carry and this would "out" me. Also I work with teens and REALLY don't want them to know....... Any thoughts?

Dump your friends and quit your job.

Seriously, though, it sounds like you can either NOT carry when driving with friends, not carry at all, or just cross that bridge when you come to it and insist that your friends honor your "secret." Best you can hope for. If the possibility of friends and the kids you work with finding out is disturbing or a big problem, surely you considered these things before you applied, didn't you?

I'd follow the law.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Handing your CCW along with your drivers license to the officer (CCW on top) and a simple "I do have it with me" should suffice without raising too much suspicion of your friends. If he asks where it is there's no way to keep it subtle (unless the answer is "glove box", etc) - and if your friends don't like it they can walk home.

my 2c.

I have wondered this myself. I have a small note folded in half around my permit and it say's: "Please be discrete as I do not want passengers to know. Will talk to you personally if need be"...have never had to use it, yet...so don't know if it would work.

I love the note idea- good one! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    I have wondered this myself. I have a small note folded in half around my permit and it say's: "Please be discrete as I do not want passengers to know. Will talk to you personally if need be"...have never had to use it, yet...so don't know if it would work.
    Sounds good, but...what do you tell your friends when they ask why you were pulled out of the car for a private conversation?

Also, I am not LEO. But if I was, ...I am going to wonder what in the He(( is going on here. Does this guy have a bunch of hostages?

Seems like you need to (1) come clean with your "friends", (2) find new friends, or (3) drive alone.

+1!
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Guarantee from experience you'll be politely asked to step outside, and your legal weapon will hit the trunk of your car until they can verify all the details, especially the original reason for the pull-over.

Quote Originally Posted by imatt View Post
    Handing your CCW along with your drivers license to the officer (CCW on top) and a simple "I do have it with me" should suffice without raising too much suspicion of your friends. If he asks where it is there's no way to keep it subtle (unless the answer is "glove box", etc) - and if your friends don't like it they can walk home.

my 2c.
    I merely hand over the drivers license and the CHL licences without saying anything (all that is required in Texas). On two occasions, they acted totally disinterested, and after returned them to me without ever commenting about it.

Distinguished Member
    Seems like a simple solution. I am sure LEO will tell you what they want you to do, just follow instructions.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I think it would be unlikely that as a passenger the LEO would ask for your ID.

VIP Member
    I teach a tenth grade boys youth group on Wednesdays, and for a long time I kept the fact that I carry hush hush. I would normally keep my gun in my vehicle during class, because we play ball and goof off. So I didn't want anyone trying to tackle me and find my gun. About two months ago I got busted when one of my kids jumped on my back at church on a Sunday morning. He of course asked about it, cause it was obvious to him that it was a gun. So I was busted......end result is that I'm taking my whole class to the shooting range this weekend to teach them about firearms and to just have some fun. Some of my kids even asked if they could bring their own firearms (deer rifles and 22rimfires). How cool is that!! For the record I have about twelve to fifteen regular students from both suburbia, and the inner city (the hood). The best part of all this is that the church is paying for the ammo!!!! :)

VIP Member
    Oh yeah what I wanted to say is maybe you should tell your passengers about your ccw. You might make shooters out of em!

the other part of this is that my wife is emphatic that NO ONE knows I carry- she's not really a big fan of guns (although sees the importance- she's an NRA life member too)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links