Common sense

Common sense

This is a discussion on Common sense within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I respect my boss. I'd say we even have a personal relationship to the extent where I go to his house for Easter dinner, he ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Common sense

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Common sense

I respect my boss. I'd say we even have a personal relationship to the extent where I go to his house for Easter dinner, he helps me move, we have a few beers etc... Well today at work we got into a debate about Greg Rotz and open carrying in a polling place. He for some reason believes its common sense not to carry in a polling place and we should do away with all open carry laws because they are intemidating. I went on about how its common sense to defend yourself, and barring me the right from doing so in a polling place will not effect the criminal element. We went back and forth about carrying, and he asked me how often I carry. I told him that I carry everytime I am out. He thinks its ok for me to carry while I'm delivering newspapers by myself in a "bad" part of town, but not ok to carry if I go to Wal-Mart or out to eat I told him that bad stuff can happen anytime any place. He still firmly believes though that it's "common sense" to not carry in places that "shouldn't have guns" I like him but I have one word....

What do you think I should say here? I'll add more as people respond.

It would be a big hassle to have to take off and put on your gun all the time - wearing it all the time makes your life easier. Its more comfortable when you're more used to it, and no one will notice a difference...like your boss for instance.

Austin

I would just tell him that we agree to disagree on this issue. As recent events show, bad stuff happens in lots of places that "shouldn't" have guns. Better to have and not need than need and not have. IMHO
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; January 18th, 2008 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Just plan your encounters with BGs when you have your gun. If a BG approaches you when you don't have your gun, just tell him to come back at a later time when you can be of better service to him.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Ummm.

Colorado Church shootings
    Nebraska mall shooting
    Lubys

You can bring up all sorts of events to make your point.

Walk away if the discussion becomes heated.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

It might be that you and your boss aren't that far apart. After all, "He still firmly believes though that it's "common sense" to not carry in places that "shouldn't have guns". That might open up the argument that it is common sense to carry in places that people might have guns. To me, that is just about everywhere but the nude beaches.

The good news seems to be that he doesn't seem to be "against" all guns -- just against where they are "not needed". Try to build on that. After all, he must not feel so strongly that he has asked/demanded that you not carry. You probably have a good chance to set aside his "common sense" objections. After all, it is common sense (convoluted as it may seem) that nobody would ever be shot if nobody owned a gun. The trick is to get down to the "real world" -- "they" have them so we need them.

Sense isn't as common as it once was.

There are incidents, galore, of folks being robbed going to or coming from any number of types of businesses, from the place they work, restaurants, the mall, or the local Stop-n-Rob.

There are home invasions. There are muggings. There are attacks on the street, when folks exit their vehicles to start beating on other folks. There are car jackings.

I have yet to see statistics that show that any given place is so much less risky than any other. Statistically, there will be variation, sure. But, there is nothing to say that a given sort of business is so safe as to warrant no concern.

The fact of the matter is: many criminals who execute person crimes are opportunists. When the opportunity presents itself ... boom.

The day criminals publish the union calendar is the day I'll feel somewhat safer. By that I mean, I'll only double-check that I am carrying two spare magazines, on the off-chance there might be trouble during the day.

So, the question becomes: what is it about XYZ locale that gets him so misty-eyed about how safe it is, as opposed to another type of place? He should be specific, if bandying about claims of safety. Justify it. Back it up. Compel by virtue of the strength of the argument and facts (!) that support it.

My guess is that he cannot.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    It would seem apparent that he knows where bad things are going to happen, so ask him were the next mass-murder will happen. If he's right you will follow his guide-lines, if he's wrong he will follow yours. Seems it would be a fair bet.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

"Hello, Mr. Unprepared? Yes, this is the personal assistant for Thugs and Associates. I'm calling to schedule your armed mugging... What date and time is good for you?"

Nope, it just doesn't happen that way....

If the debate between you and your boss get to the point where you think it may create a rift in your friendship, I'd jsut drop the issue. Unfortunately, some people only learn the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by PatP View Post
    If the debate between you and your boss ...
    Hm. Didn't catch that part.

OP: You might simply eliminate all the rhetoric and just ask a basic question, such as ... "What is it about House #1 that's so much safer than House #2? Or, what is it that's so much safer about Wal-Mart, versus Moe's Diner? Or, your street versus the one behind you?"
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assistant Administrator
    Example mythical question comin up ... just suppose deal .......

Ask him to book auto insurance for 100 days this year - then ask him which days he will choose to use that cover when driving???

Are his precognitive powers above average? Seems like he thinks so!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    My first thought at reading the title of this thread was

Common Sense is Very Uncommon

After reading your bosses reaction I'd say he is common
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I havve been saying it for years, more than 40.

Common Sense...The Rarest Of All Senses
    Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Your boss is a sheep. And a slow witted one at that.

He may very well be a nice guy but dumb people with no common sense are often nice. That's because they think almost everyone they meet in a day are nice too so they are nice right back.

I on the other hand think every one is a scum bag until they show me otherwise.

This brings up a good point. A friend of mine and I were talking the other day and he mentioned how most folks, when they meet someone new will generally like that person until they are given a reason not to like them.
    I told him I was the exact opposite of that. Generally speaking, when I meet someone new I do not like them at all. In fact, I usually think almost everyone I meet is either a bad guy or a jackass. Or both. Only when or if that person gives me several reasons to like them do I change my opinion of them. I am sometimes pleasantly surprised when someone proves to be a nice person and I change my original opinion of them. I am never disappointed though.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

As with most issues, some folks will never get it.

I carry for the same reasons as most, but in my case, I am old enough and disabled enough to know that running away from a situation is not a likely alternative. And I am tempermentally disinclined to willing victimhood. Then there's the minimum 30 minute response time here to a 911 call ...

But one should disagree with one's boss rarely, yes?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links