Had a gun pointed at my head today...

This is a discussion on Had a gun pointed at my head today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...by a gun dealer!!! I went into my local gun shop, actually the one where I purchased my Glock 19 a few months back, and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

...by a gun dealer!!!

I went into my local gun shop, actually the one where I purchased my Glock 19 a few months back, and where I've always had fairly positive experiences. Went to look at a Glock for a buddy of mine who's going to be getting his license soon (I told him he needed to put in some readin' time here first, btw!).

So, most all of this guy's Glocks are sold with Glock Tac Lights attached to them as a "bundle" deal. My buddy didn't really want to pay an extra $80 for a light he really didn't want, so we asked him about the possibility of buying the gun without the light. He proceeds to try and sell us on his "bundle" by telling us what a "great deal it is" and what a "great light it is", and gets the gun out from behind the glass counter, and hands it to me (without checking the chamber first and covering myself and another customer in the process, mind you.)

I check the chamber like he should have, and point the light up against the wall on the far side of the store. (Where there's no people standing!) I gave a "Hmmph", the light is a light, but not impressively bright, and I say so. He proceeds to snatch the gun from my hand, and with an "Oh yeah? Watch this!" or something to that effect, points the gun right at my face and clicks the light on, to apparently demonstrate it's "incredible BG blinding powers".

Needless to say, I was not impressed with his final gun safety indiscretion, pretty much said "Ok, have a nice day...", turned and left, and don't plan to step foot in there again. So, I can officially say I've looked down the wrong end of a gun, and didn't like it one bit!
    .40 is fine.

I'd say a letter to the owner of your experience would be in order.

Name and location of the gun shop?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Yes. Do it. Now. The owner of that store needs to appreciate the serious damage to his life that could occur if one of his dolts (er, employees) were to fire off a round through the medulla of a customer. Worse, it the idiot smoked a 3yr old child across the street, there'd be a change of ownership for the next three generations, to say nothing of the destroyed lives. If honorable, the owner will appreciate the notification.

If you don't get a suitable reply and action based on that letter, definitely come back and post the name/location of the specific shop in question. It can be impressive how a little fire and tinder can force an issue to "sting" a little.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Learn some disarming techniques (like the kind that breaks the BG's finger off in the trigger guard). Then go back in and ask the dude to do his little demonstration again.

That's beyond inexcusable. I'd have been on the phone to the cops on my way outta the shop. A visit from the boys in blue would cure him of doing that crap again.

Add to the owner he just lost a sale. That hurts more than your complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

Name and location of the gun shop?
    The sad part is that it probably was the owner. There a very few gun shop's I will even go to in my area. Most of them have attitudes, are not friendly and think they know more than anyone about any gun in the shop. Truth is, they don't and more times than not make themselves look like idiots. I wish this trend was different but it's not in my area. I can see a few of these owners doing this same thing.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

HKR
    Wife and I were at a shop Saturday getting her a new pistol. There was a family(woman and man looked in their 40s, kid looked about 20) down the case looking at some 1911s. I heard the women tell the boy "now he(employee) didn't check that before he handed it to you". I thought good for them to be teaching the kid to always check the weapon, then I turned and saw that the same lady had the pistol pointing straight towards my wife who had not noticed because she was looking at the gun in her hand. I put my hand on my wife's arm and guided her out of the way of the *******'s aim. The employee helping us asked me if there was something wrong and I just told him that I didn't like guns pointed at me. I said it loudly and angrily and I looked at the lady who was looking annoyingly at us. They left soon after when they got around to looking at the price tags of the Kimbers they were looking at.

Distinguished Member
    That really sucks. I think that you would find out that the "average Joe" on the street would not have given it a second thought, he would have just been impressed with the light, and probably bought the gun package.

It seems to me the people that participate on this forum take their safety and the safety of other more serious than the "average joe"

Just my .02

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

HKR
    +1 to the advice above. Even if the moron was the owner make it a point to call and tell them why you will be spending your money somewhere else.

If it's the owner, all the more better to call or write in a complaint. That way, HE will know firsthand the actions he caused. I'd also send a letter to your state NRA, LEO, or gun groups about the occasion and his response.

Wow. What an awful story. I hope that guy gets a job as a toilet licker somewhere. I don't think I would deal well with someone trying something like that on me. Do you put out some kind of "Its ok to point a gun at my head" vibe? I really doubt that you do.

Austin

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    thats one of the things I will not do at the shop I work in... I hated it when I would shop so I wont do it to anyone else... Its always in a safe direction and I refuse to let them point it at me when looking.. beyond irresponsible
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Senior Moderator
    Welcome to my world! I get at LEAST six guns pointed at me every day.

What's worse is that more often than not it's from my fellow employees.

Across the room, I look up and I'm staring down the barrel of a shotgun.

An employee goes to put a gun away or demonstrate it and it's pointed at my chest.

Most of the time I work on just moving around the muzzle, but for BAD breaches of etiquette (say, not clearing the gun and then putting a finger on the trigger) I'll say, "I'd really appreciate it if you didn't point that at me."

I get annoyed looks, but I don't care. I'd much rather NOT have a gun pointed at any body part. I don't care if it's my toe, face, arm or chest.

I agree with what's been said. Write a letter or make a call.

The occasional sweep in a gun store can almost be unavoidable, but deliberately pointing the gun in your face is unacceptable.

Lima...
    As the boss, why do you put up with it? Is it that hard to find employees? I'd assume you put all new hires thorough a basic gun handling class. If they broke one of the basic rules, especially at me, they'd be gone!
    Tracy

Don't ya just hate friggin' idgets?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links