Press Check

This is a discussion on Press Check within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sombody have a good step by step picture(s) on how to do a press check. I'm haveing a little trouble trying to describe the method ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press Check

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

Press Check

Sombody have a good step by step picture(s) on how to do a press check. I'm haveing a little trouble trying to describe the method to sombody.

IIRC
    Dinero did one in heat that was pretty correct.

Matrix 3 the little asian gun (the guy that protected the oracle) did one in the elavator when they where going to fight the vampires in the club. His was a little bastardize but he held I think two berettas sky word shifted his shooting grip pulled the slide back and you saw him look into the chambers.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Problem is is that there are several methods that are " acceptable " . The most common led rise to front serrations on 1911s and that is by reaching under the dust cover and grasping the slide close to the muzzle pinching it between thumb and forfinger you can slide it back enough to show status of chamber . However a press check can be done in any manner that does not sweep the muzzle over an unsafe direction , or risk contact with the fire control group , a pinch check ( which i learned and use by rote ) is less safe and involves inserting a thumb into the trigger gurard , and pinching the slide from the front to check chamber status . This is far less safe than a press check and will not work with a guide rod , but some of us are antiques and have not re learned new habits . Its funny that i press check sigs , khars , glocks , S&Ws ect.. but hand me a 1911 and ill try a pinch check every time .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Easiest that I know of:

1) Finger off the trigger;
    2)Point weapon in a SAFE direction;
    3) Grasp slide from the rear at the sides;
    4) Pull slide back approx. 1/4 inch;
    5)Look down in to chamber (do not tile gun up to face/eyes)
    6) If you see a casing (brass or aluminum) then weapon is charged. If you see empty space and below that the mag with the copper of a bullet then look forward into the throat of the barrel to be sure casing is not stuck as due to an failed ejection.
    7) Release slide.

There are other methods which I practice but this is both safe and very easy.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    This is how I do it,

Put thumb on cylinder release and push forward, whle swinging the cylinder out. Make sure that each chamber has an unfired round in it. Close cylinder.

I know I'm a dumb butt.

I use janq's method for my autos
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

hold gun in right hand. grip slide with left hand, thumb pointing to rear. push slide back just a tad. see bullet. let go with left hand. reholster.

I don't see the need to have front serrations or sweep yourself with the muzzle.
    -Biker

VIP Member
    ~ Trigger finger off trigger and on frame.
    ~ Point weapon in safe direction.
    ~ Thumb off safety.
    ~ Without crossing the muzzle, grasp front of slide from under the weapon with thumb and first two fingers over the dust cover.
    ~ Press slide reward 1/4" looking down in to chamber.
    ~ Release slide.
    ~ Engage safety.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    ~ Trigger finger off trigger and on frame.
    ~ Point weapon in safe direction.
    ~ Thumb off safety.
    ~ Without crossing the muzzle, grasp front of slide from under the weapon with thumb and first two fingers over the dust cover.
    ~ Press slide reward 1/4" looking down in to chamber.
    ~ Release slide.
    ~ Engage safety.

I know how to do it. However, I was looking for a step by step Picture for somebody no worries thanks anyway.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I just do it by left hand on top of slide.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Rob99VMI04; I'm not the person on those two pictures I think I downloaded them a while back from some other forum... I really don't remember which forum that was.... hope it helps.

Tanke.
    Last edited by Tanke; January 18th, 2008 at 06:35 PM.
    "You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive."

CZ 97B .45
    KT P-11

Administrator
    I'm a dinosaur.
    With a 1911 I usually just (safe direction) pinch check the firearm.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I do it completely different from what has been described here - this is how I was taught (USMC) :
    Holding gun in right hand, pivot hand up to rear sight, squeeze to open slide a tad - feel with pinky for round in chamber.

Pics to follow...

Austin
    Attached Images

I check mine in the morning before it goes in the holster. It doesn't leave the holster unless it's a dire scenario. No need to check, it hasn't been anywhere.

VIP Member
    I use the under hand version rather than the one Tanke shows.

For me, the overhand style can cause you to move the slide to far & either eject the chambered round or worse...cause a mis-feed. The only advantage to the overhand style is it can allow you to 'feel' the chambered round with your pinky.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

unless you are missing a hand, i think its much safer to use both hands and to it just as if you were clearing the chamber, just only pull back a little.
    looking at those past pics, i can just imaging the gun flinging out of someones hand. which isnt cool ifs its a cocked and unlocked 1911 (or anything else)
    my 1911 has the little slit so you can look and see if there is one in there, but if in the dark or another gun, i grip it with the right hand (trigger finger along the slide) and pull the slide back slightly with the left hand and feel with left pinky.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I don't like the underhand because I don't like sticking my hands up by the muzzle. I don't like pulling from behind because its easy to pull too far (at least for me). My second hand is on the gun when I do my press check - just not in the pictures or you wouldn't be able to see anything.

Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links