At the Police department today....

This is a discussion on At the Police department today.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I visited one of my wife's friends she met while I was deployed this past year. We went to the police station she works ...

Thread: At the Police department today....

Today I visited one of my wife's friends she met while I was deployed this past year. We went to the police station she works at and recieved a tour and sat down to catch up on "things". I asked her how she felt, as an officer, about people who carried concealed legally. My wife told me previously that she didn't think she liked it but when I asked her, her response blew me out of the water. She said, and I qoute, "Everyone that can legally carry should and if they don't then it's a damn shame". She also said most of the police officers in her department feel the same way. After that, I had a new best friend but unfortionatley I live in MO and not in her area.

VIP Member
    Good encounter, but less we put too much value on what an "officer" thinks, we should remember that they are just people like us, doing the job of their choice. Opinions will vary and carry little weight in the grand scheme of things. We just hope that if we do have to interact with a Police Officer with regard to our CCW that they aren't going to react negatively toward us. Nice to know that in your area at least, the majority are on our side.

When I was a LEO, about 1/3 of the officers I worked with didn't like guns at all and would only carry them when on duty! Some thought only the Police should have guns while others were in favor of armed good guys.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

She in Johnson Co? Wyandotte Co? I wouldn't have expected that in JoCo!

Glad to hear they're thinking that way, regardless.....When I was up there they were only behind Douglas County in their <cough> liberal "tendencies"......LOL

BTW, welcome! Thanks for your service to the country too!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Administrator
    Nothing shocking there....
    "Just blame Sixto"

DC Founder
    I ran across some Denver officers that didn't like guns, as Thumper related, but for the most part, they were shooters before joining the department. I expect, although I don't have any way of knowing now, that there is a direct correlation between those that were shooters before and those that support concealed carry.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    we should remember that they are just people like us, doing the job of their choice.
    This is true, but it is a fair statement that certain opinions tend go along with certain occupations.

For example, it is a fair assumption that most news reporters are anti-gun rights and generally liberal. It is also fair to say that most pastors are against extra homosexual liberties and generally conservative.

I think that there is a misconception that LEOs are anti-gun in general. I don't think that one is fair.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

As a retired LEO and rangemaster, even in a gun-friendly state the recruits are heavily pressured to assume a "guns are bad" state of mind. Most of these young guys aren't shooters, and are enamored that they will be armed, and it's better if the rest of the folks aren't. It makes up for their lack of firearms skills. They shoot once or twice a year, and that's the only time their ammo gets rotated and their guns get cleaned. Gaston Glock instilled that idea into law enforcement many years ago. We had to lower our standards to get these guys to qualify (with the exception of TOU and SWAT members). Ever wonder why you read in the paper about a gazillion rounds flying into a neighborhood without the BG getting hit? Look at the film of the infamous LA shootings. Any competent shooter could have done a head shot and ended it. Before the last guy shot himself, there was an LAPD officer shooting at him from ten yards, and couldn't score a hit. I'm embarassed!

Quote Originally Posted by maasat View Post
    We went to the police station she works ... She said, and I qoute, "Everyone that can legally carry should and if they don't then it's a damn shame". She also said most of the police officers in her department feel the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Nothing shocking there....
    Yeah, well. Some LEO's certainly do take umbrage at the fact that someone can legally carry. Witness the silly encounters in VA the past couple of years, or the recent polling place problem in PA. I've seen a good percentage of the LEO's in small towns where I used to live have a problem with it. Perhaps it's rare, but it's prevalent enough that we hear direct, first-hand encounters of it now and then.

Kudos to all law enforcement folks that see the simplicity of and good that comes from upstanding folks being able to defend themselves.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    My brother was one of those LEO's that thought only the police should have guns. He was in a small town in Illinois. You should have seen him freak out the first time we both ended up visiting my folks in Indiana. Of course he was armed, he thought it was perfectly fine, but when I pulled off my IWB holster he about had a cow! First words out of his mouth were. "What the he-- are you doing with that??!!" I told him, "Well...I think I'm carrying it for self protection!" Got some stupid response from him like.....you don't need a gun.
    Of course he is also a gun snob too.....If it isn't a Colt 1911, or a S&W it is a POS. Glad I don't have to see him too often!!

Administrator
    I'm not sure if its an anti 2a stance, or just what we are used to seeing. Here in Ohio, CCW is a fairly new thing. Us cops are not used to seeing non LEO's packing... so when some do, there is a shock value to it. There is a generation of LEO's that have had the "only LEO's and BG's carry guns" pounded into their heads from day one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

With this site hitting record numbers and more ccw holders out there maybe that way of thinking is changing. I hope
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I ask a Kent County (MI) Sheriffs deputy one time what HE thought of concealed carry. He said that if more people legally carried, it would make his job easier. Of course he was speaking for himself, not other Deputies or the Dept.
    Sailor
    USN
    PM Doric 342
    www.grandrogueencampment.com

"Heres to you and heres to me, and in case we ever disagree, the h___ with you, heres to me"

Sponsored Links