I had an idea: Drafts 1&2 MERGED

This is a discussion on I had an idea: Drafts 1&2 MERGED within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I was up at the courthouse getting my CCL updated last month, the guy in front of me in line was just getting his. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I had an idea: Drafts 1&2 MERGED

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

I had an idea: Drafts 1&2 MERGED

When I was up at the courthouse getting my CCL updated last month, the guy in front of me in line was just getting his. He was asking the lady at the counter (who seemed pretty pro-CCW, but was not aware of the laws) where it was ok to carry and not to carry. She responded with
    "It's pretty much common sense where you shouldn't carry, like a bank".
    Then she went on about how you can't carry in MD if you go to WV or VA. That you have to seperate the ammo and gun. But said nothing about locking it in the trunk.
    I had to intervene at this point which I said "By law in PA you can't carry in a courthouse, school and state park. Thats it. In Maryland if you drive thru, your best bet is to unload your gun, clip, seperate both, and lock your gun in the trunk or out of reach".

Afterwards the guy and I chatted for a bit outside about laws and such. Well today I was thinking about that, and it had me so flustered that this lady was giving out inacurate (not wrong, just not complete) info that I figured I should do something about it. I want to make a flyer with basic rules and regulations about whats off limits, how to drive thru MD to get to WV and VA. I'd explain what states have reciprocal agreements with PA, and general common sense guidelines about carrying in PA. I'd also add websites such as hangunlaws.us, carryconcealed.net, pafoa.org and of course DC.com. Then I'd leave a stack of these flyers at the counter for people to take. Does anyone think this would be a good idea, and secondly does anyone think the sheriffs office would go thru with this?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    People are always looking for information in a concise form and you would be doing everyone a big service should you do this.

With that said, one word of caution. As you start this, you will find yourself overwhelmed with the amount of information that is out there, the time it takes to accumulate it and the extraordinary amount of effort it takes to organize and present it.

I build websites for a living and I am constantly asked, "How hard could it be to put together a website?" Well, the attention to detail is staggering.

Good luck. If I can help you, I would be willing to put in an hour or two as I, myself, would like this info.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

JD
    Administrator
    Well half the work is all ready done for you, there's all ready a flyer available on the PAFOA website, granted it's geared more for OC, but it wouldn't be hard to expand it.

I think it's a good idea, as long as it's done right and the correct people are approached in the appropriate manner (county staff) so that it's not a "in your face, you don't know jack" type of manner.

Also, I think the best way to do it would to work out something with DanP and actually get the PAFOA's backing on something, and possibly work something out with the AG to actually get it approved for statewide use.

The letter you get with your LTCF just isn't worth the paper it's printed on, and the state laws are still too hard to actually find, it's getting better but it's still a pain in the rear.

I'll get something up on here about what I was thinking when its done.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    It would be very nice if accurate info (with available references) were easier to understand in laymens terms,and access.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I have a personal philosophy: Most problems in the world start with the words, "I thought".

While I admire your idea, I recommend you follow JD's advice and get this pushed through a larger organization or the AG so that you are not liable. I could see a liability issue if you just printed something up yourself and started handing them out and some of your information was incorrect.

Also, maybe a letter to the lady's supervisor might be a good thing to do. She obviously is not aware of the laws and is just making it up as she goes along according to her personal opinions. This in turn is opening her dept. up to some liability.

A last suggestion would be to put list the state statutes and where to find them in their entirety on the flyer.

Good luck on your quest. It is always a good thing to help make things more clear.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Sounds like a great project. I for one would love to see one geared towards concealed carry. The Open Carry version is nice, but I really hate the tinyurl links they added in there.

Rough draft here. Help me out if you see any errors or anything to add. Don't worry about spelling. I know things are misspelled, i'll fix that later.

back of the page:

JD
    Administrator
    If this is going to be a formal document, MAGAZINE not clip

clipmag1.jpg

I always thought clip and magazine were synonymous...

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I always thought clip and magazine were synonymous...
    That's what the uneducated want you to believe!

If your going for a formal document, you need to use the proper terminology, not slang.

I'd say the overall layout is good with the information you have, but I'd remove the Desert Eagle from over the State Flag.

The reciprocity is good, but there are some important links missing, such as the link to the Attorney General's page with reciprocity.

You may also want to add a disclaimer instructing persons to verify reciprocity.

Overall I think it's a good draft.

Let me offer an observation: as a retired lawyer, I have many friends who are happy to tell me "what the law is". Sometimes they're right and often not. Michigan offers reciprocity to most states with "liberal" CCW laws, but our restrictions on carrying ("no pistol zones") are different than what was posted regarding Pennsylvania.

I suggest that if one wishes to go to a reciprocity state, it would be a good idea to be sure what the proscriptions are in that state. Perhaps a member here would share if you post a question.

There is an old adage: "ignorance of the law is no excuse".

If anyone is planning a visit here, I would be happy to list our no pistol zones, and some other peculiarities of our CCW laws.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jongle View Post
    Let me offer an observation: as a retired lawyer, I have many friends who are happy to tell me "what the law is". Sometimes they're right and often not. Michigan offers reciprocity to most states with "liberal" CCW laws, but our restrictions on carrying ("no pistol zones") are different than what was posted regarding Pennsylvania.

I suggest that if one wishes to go to a reciprocity state, it would be a good idea to be sure what the proscriptions are in that state. Perhaps a member here would share if you post a question.

There is an old adage: "ignorance of the law is no excuse".

If anyone is planning a visit here, I would be happy to list our no pistol zones, and some other peculiarities of our CCW laws.

I think he has that covered with:

Please note laws are different in each State, be sure to check the local laws before you leave PA.
    I think he's gong for flyer, not novel, in order to list the no carry zones of all states with reciprocity, the document will grow beyond it's current intended scope, not to mention that updating all states no carry zones would take too much time for what this is currently intended to be, a quick down and dirty on PA laws regarding CCW.

VIP Member
    I'd also put a disclaimer on it, stating something to the effect that the info contained is for reference only and not to be construed as a legally binding document. Also something to the effect that you are not responsible for any information that is not correct. I'm sure some of our retired lawyers can give you an idea on the legalize language to use. After all wouldn't want to put out the information to help someone, then have them come back and try and sue you when a law has changed, or they misinterpret what was there.

Administrator
    Its a good idea... but if you publish such a thing you are opening a lot of liability doors.

Also, in my warped mind, I would hope people would/should already be more educated before they go see that lady at the counter.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links