I got dragged to the mall today... - Page 4

I got dragged to the mall today...

This is a discussion on I got dragged to the mall today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Scot Van As a former freak, I'd like to remind everyone that judging people based appearances isn't really fair. Granted, a guy ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I got dragged to the mall today...

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    As a former freak, I'd like to remind everyone that judging people based appearances isn't really fair. Granted, a guy in a dirty trenchcoat with puke in his hair muttering to himself about how 'they all should go die' should have you worried. Stereotypes exist for a reason, and self presevation dictates that we categorize people to save our own skin. I get that.

But I counsel lots of kids, and I respectfully submit that you may ahve forgotten what it was like to be that age...heck, I probably have, too. But when I graduated from high school (almost 20 years ago), I had an 18" blue mohawk, wore earrings and was pretty excited about rejecting anything the 'boring adults' around me had to say. Now, I have a master's degree and regularly contribute to forums and organizations I believe in. The world has a way of mellowing the youthful zeal for rebellion, and gradually, over eight years of undergrad and graduate school, I figured out that my appearance had nothing to do with my education or thought processes. I figured out that changing the way I dress or look gained more respect in debates, but it never changed who I was inside. Basically, I could out-think and out-work most of the so called 'adults' around me, so by getting a conservative haircut and switching to a t-shirt and jeans, I was really just worried about the fragile psyche of the guy sitting next to me. If that got them to listen to my ideas, it was probably a better idea than getting my face pierced twenty times.

Funny, but one of the few adults that didn't care how I looked but was more interested in what was inside was my beloved Jiu Jitsu teacher. He knew what I was capable of, knew that I behaved with good character and cared about other living things. He knew that I was just figuring things out.

I understand why you call 'em freaks. But I think it is folly to assume that anyone who fails to dress or speak like you do is a threat or somehow inferior. Some of the greatest writers, artists and scientists don't really fit the Dockers and boat shoes crowd. But so what? The fact is that I talk to plenty of kids on a weekly basis who look like they either need a nap and a haircut or like they just crawled out of a Halloween shop after a spending spree. What I find is consistent? They have four ideas/misconceptions in common...

1.) adults don't understand what I'm going through
    2.) NOBODY looks as stupid or goofy as I do
    3.) this horrible feeling of desperately needing to belong lasts forever
    4.) I am the only one feeling this way

It is important that we realize that not every misfit is a Dylan Kliebold or Shane Harris. Not every person who looks differently from us is 'effed up'. Wave after wave of music-influenced fashion and image dictates that the younger set is ALWAYS going to go for the look that gets some sort of reaction, and that is a natural process of establishing individuality and self-identity. Usually, it all comes out in the wash. Sometimes, it means looking like Marilyn Manson for a while.

What is really cool is that your kid seems well-adjusted enough to be able to identify with his ol' man, not needing to act out or try on different appearances to feel comfortable with himself. In this sense, he does make the others freaks, but I submit that this is much more unusual that a teen who feels uncomfortable in his or her own skin. I think that indicates loving, attentive parenting, and you're to be commended.

When I'm out and about, I'm more worried about the guy in torn Carharts and a John Deer hat that has been drinking Black Label all day while dove hunting who wanders into the filling station with a bad attitude and a penchant for starting trouble (there are LOTS of guys like this in Central KY) with a .44 Mag on his hip. I'm lots more worried about 'the good old boy' who is 'here to do two things...drink beer and kick ass' and is almost out of beer. There are many more cases of random violence and vandalism caused by this sort of fellow, but they don't make the paper because...well...'boys will be boys'.

But tell that to my buddy Jeff (who is black...yes...I say black, not African American. His grandparents were French, not African. How ridiculous would it be to say French-African American?!! I don't go by Norse/Germanic-Slavic American...I'm white! Black is what HE says, and that is what HE has asked his friends to use) that got pulled from his car after a Wildcat football game and beaten by a bunch of guys wearing Izod shirts and letter jackets that probably have never felt left out or ostracized in their lives. Upstanding young men, my fanny!!

Anyway, pardon the bristling response, ok? I grew up around people that thought they knew everything about me because of what their eyes told them. If these same people took a moment to talk to me, they'd see that I am an intelligent, educated and MORAL person who values liberty and independent thought. They'd see that I am not a lemming who simply goes along to get along, but rather someone who, in the spirit of the founders of this country, has the balls to see and interpret things differently and make decisions about what is right for his own life. They'd learn that I'd always come to the resue of my fellow man, always lend a help up to someone in need. And they'd realize that I don't care what the person in need looks like.

I know your posts didn't really mean to delve so deeply into why these kids looks like freaks, but it struck a chord with me, so I thought I'd letcha' know that somehow, most of those freaks are going to turn out OK. Give 'em a chance.

And don't let your guard down just because the guy crossing the street toward you is wearing a tie.
    Scot Van, thanks for the post. I did not mean to offend you or anyone else who dressed wild in their younger days.
    Let me clarify something for you since I obviously did not make it clear when I wrote the original post.
    The "Freaks" we were looking at and I was talking about were not for the most part teens. I may have said that by mistake or gave the impression. They were the older young adults and in 2 cases, men who looked to be in their mid 30's that were dressed in that manner. I don't really assume that a teenager who is dressing in an unusual manner to be a freak, most teens go a bit over the top to rebel. It's natural, I know that and so does my son. He dresses fairly normal but even he was wearing a sweat shirt with the group "Slipknot" on the front and back.
    Again, I did not mean to offend you.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Let me get this straigt. A Glock 23 with 4 spare mags, 3 flashlights, two back up guns with 1 each spare mag, 3 cell phones, an expandable baton, 6 knives, a stun gun and Kevlar vest ???

Is their combat zone that I'm not aware of in your local mall ? Why not just sling an AR15 over your torso with a full set up chest kit of MOLLE gear and a MICH helmet with two of the LASH two way radio system for you and your and son?

Your a strange bird.
    You may want to work on your ability to recognize when someone is exaggerating for comedic effect.

For the record, I was joking about all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    No, it's why we love him here.
    Thanks Chooie! Wow, I'm loved.....I feel all warm inside.
    Could be heartburn though...
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I know what ya'll are saying.

However, in training my grandkids to be aware of potential danger I noticed something that I have been teaching them and myself.

True danger, the true bad guys, are rarely the obvious one's that will "git cha". It's the ones that blend in, with only the most subtle clues as to their evil intent. I believe most go unoticed while we are "red herringed" by the obvious freaks.

So we say...is that a BG?
    Why?
    Why not?
    Who did we NOT see while watching him?

I personally consider every breathing creature as a"potential threat" and am for the most part equally cautious...whether they have eyebrows or scales.

Thoughts?

Check yur six kids!
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Assistant Administrator
    True danger, the true bad guys, are rarely the obvious one's that will "git cha". It's the ones that blend in, with only the most subtle clues as to their evil intent. I believe most go unoticed while we are "red herringed" by the obvious freaks.
    This is very true IMO - much as we might have fun at the expense of the young ''freaks'' the truth is evil comes in many guises ....... so behavior is probably the prime thing to watch over and above mere appearance.

I often remind folks that the best ''con man'' is the guy who is so straight up ''normal'' we'd hardly give a second look ....... maybe some BG's could be that good too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Okay, okay. I'll have to admit, when I first saw this thread, as I was reading Mike's original post, I thought he was kidding. As I read on, I started thinking maybe he was serious. I thought it strange that everybody was replying with such approval...

After all, Mike, you did mention an interest in Blackwater a while back, didn't you?

But, okay, I'm gullible. I'm glad I came back and caught up with this thread, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd rather deal with freaks than thugs and thug wanna be's. Nothing is worse than the suburban homeboy and Cul-de-sac gansta.
    +1 on that. I had an office in the midst of the wealthy end of town and the little pukes driving their Beemers and full auto weapons were alot scarier than the gang bangers on the Hill Top in Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Whenever I'm at the mall looking at a similar youth in clothes and hair like you describe....I think about how much that guy, with the spiked colored hair, nose ring, untied, black, 40 lb. boots.....really hates his parents.
    My first daughter was into the goth thing in high school with a 4.GPA first chair violinist in the city orchestra, soloist in the choir, and a fair short stop. In Germany now on a academic/music scholarship. Point is that you can not always make that call by what you see, in fact there this X something goth thing that the kids would make pledges not to do drugs and not have sex until they were out of high school. Not the Columbine, stereo type at all
    Than there is the other flip side, where those kids are third & fourth generation freaks / degenerates.
    TN_Mike sounds like you did a good job, bet you are right that he will be OK
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    This is very true IMO - much as we might have fun at the expense of the young ''freaks'' the truth is evil comes in many guises ....... so behavior is probably the prime thing to watch over and above mere appearance.

I often remind folks that the best ''con man'' is the guy who is so straight up ''normal'' we'd hardly give a second look ....... maybe some BG's could be that good too.
    Used to know a real con man. He did this con, he called the three card molly. Was the most charming charismatic person I'd ever known. Really wanted him to be a sales rep for my company. Have to admit I never really had a problem with what he did and he did steal alot of money but he never took a red cent from an honest man. The con only worked if the mark was willing to steal from his friend. I would never do it, and yes it is wrong just did not bother me that he did it. I have met the Hillside strangler, my sister wanted to date him. He gave me the creeps but again he was attractive charming polite, the kind of guy most girls would want to take home to meet dad. Point is you are absolutely right. My suggestion is trust your gut and if my dog don't like em there is something wrong

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Y'all need to remember that TN_Mike is talking about a mall in Memphis, not just any mall. It's in a decent part of town, but that doesn't keep the BGs from driving on over for a visit.

Teenaged freaks? Engage one in conversation and you'll find that he's just like all the other teens. But a thirty-year-old? Something's wrong with that guy, and I'll be on my guard until I have proof to the contrary.
    I went to buy some camouflage pants, but I couldn't find any.

+1 Kevan. Memphis is a world unto itself sometimes. There really are all types here. After serving in the US Navy for 8 years and traveling the world, living all over the place in the US, I must admit, I have never lived in a place quite like Memphis. There are more restaurants here than in any city I have ever seen (Memphis is consistently rated the fattest city in the US, funny though, I move here and lose 160 pounds ) and it is always at least in the top 3 for violent crime rates. All types of music can be found here and all types of people too.

It is an interesting place to be sure. And one that requires you to be in condition yellow or orange all the time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I lived in Memphis for a year and then worked there once per month for a year afterward. Ironically, I wish I were in Memphis right now, but I hate Memphis.

It definitely is a different place. Memphis was the place I lived during the short time that I considered myself a 'redneck.' I saw my street on COPS.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I don't know where the mall is, but I can tell you around Graceland is not a place you want to be after nightfall!! This was a few years ago, hopefully they have cleaned things up but you could hear gun fire like it was down town LA on the 4th of July!!
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Scot Van, thanks for the post. I did not mean to offend you or anyone else who dressed wild in their younger days.
    Let me clarify something for you since I obviously did not make it clear when I wrote the original post.
    The "Freaks" we were looking at and I was talking about were not for the most part teens. I may have said that by mistake or gave the impression. They were the older young adults and in 2 cases, men who looked to be in their mid 30's that were dressed in that manner. I don't really assume that a teenager who is dressing in an unusual manner to be a freak, most teens go a bit over the top to rebel. It's natural, I know that and so does my son. He dresses fairly normal but even he was wearing a sweat shirt with the group "Slipknot" on the front and back.
    Again, I did not mean to offend you.
    Mike! You didn't offend, but I appreciate your clarifying the usage of 'freak'! Slipknot is great, by the way, but it may not be for everybody (your son probably agrees that their first album was lots better than anything subsequent).

I think it is nice that you were conscientious enough to apologize to me, but rest assurred that in was never necessary! It was clear that your post wasn't malicious, and your original points are extremely valid. Isn't it fun to people watch? The mall is a circus, especially in a large city.

By the way...congratulations on the impressive body restructuring! You look LOTS healthier!!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    The mall is a circus, especially in a large city.
    So is a university campus elevator. Especially in the Fine Arts building.

Was it Dennis Miller who said something to the effect of - it's like they're thinking, "What could I possibly do to make myself even less employable."

Quote Originally Posted by Manzanita View Post
    Was it Dennis Miller who said something to the effect of - it's like they're thinking, "What could I possibly do to make myself even less employable."
    Ever since I heard the one where he says. "So many body piercing they look like they rolled down the stairs holding a fishing tackle" I have not looked at those folks the same, I see salmon dangling off them thar lures

Most freaks are actually pretty harmless, other than making you feel like barfing on them.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    It sounds like you're doing a good job with the kids, Do you ever go over tactics with them, like how to act in an emergency?
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links