I got dragged to the mall today...

This is a discussion on I got dragged to the mall today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have 5 kids. One of them is a daughter and the other 4 are boys. Apparently, it is vital to a 13 year old ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I got dragged to the mall today...

I got dragged to the mall today...

I have 5 kids. One of them is a daughter and the other 4 are boys. Apparently, it is vital to a 13 year old girls health and well being to visit the mall occasionally and today I was begged to go to the mall. I of course, being an idiot in addition to an soft touch for my only girl said OK.

So, I went upstairs, strapped on the Glock 23, 4 spare fully loaded 13 round mags, 2 back up guns with a spare magazine each, 6 knives of various kinds and sizes, 2 cans of pepper spray, a stun gun, telescoping baton, Kevlar vest, 3 cell phones, and 3 flashlights. I was ready to go. But, I found I was unable to walk with all that on so a got rid of everything but the G23, 2 spare mags, a flashlight, a knife, one can of pepper spray (FOX labs) and the cell phone. Almost felt naked though.

We walked around and I looked at all the freaks and wondered how in the heck was I going to pick out the threat coming at me. It was like being dropped into the movie "Blade Runner' or something. What is it with the teens today? Do they all have to look like freaks?

My oldest son who is 17 and who really didn't want to be there either and I sat out on a bench while the wife and daughter and younger boys went into the Disney Store. He commented, as we watched a guy in a black trench coat and spiky hair with metal studs sticking out of various parts of his face, that it should be legal to use a Taser gun on people like that. I agreed and for the rest of the time there we would look at each other and say "Taser" every time we saw another freak.

He also asked me how I kept an eye on everyone when we are at a place like this. He was wondering because he knows he wants to get his carry permit in a few years when he hits 21 and he said he practices being as alert as possible when we are out so he will be better at it when he does start carrying. I was a bit proud when he said that.
    What I told him was that I am not sure you can watch everyone in a crowd that size. You just have to do your best and watch for the people who look like they are the most likely threat.

I think my oldest son is going to be OK when he goes out into the world on his own.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I think my oldest son is going to be OK when he goes out into the world on his own.
    It sure sounds like it! Good job to him and to you!

Oh the freaks! I can not remember the last time I was at a mall but I am sure it was with my youngest daughter at about age 15. Just can not make myself go back. Not enough ammo. Glad you made it out safely.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Sounds like you're raising him up just fine!

Now, we just need around 50 million more like him, and we as a society may have a chance.

Administrator
    I'd rather deal with freaks than thugs and thug wanna be's. Nothing is worse than the suburban homeboy and Cul-de-sac gansta.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I remember being considered a freak back in the early '70s. Normal folks just couldn't understand my long hair, Levi Big Bells, and Alice Cooper 8-tracks. Good thing we didn't have Tasers back then!

Congratulations on your son's attention to detail and mature attitude about self defense!

If you can't go fully equipped, stay home and exercise. Malls are three gun minimum zones ...

Assistant Administrator
    we would look at each other and say "Taser" every time we saw another freak.

Glad you went prepared tho Mike !!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_MIKE View Post
    We walked around and I looked at all the freaks and wondered how in the heck was I going to pick out the threat coming at me. It was like being dropped into the movie "Blade Runner' or something. What is it with the teens today? Do they all have to look like freaks?

My oldest son who is 17 and who really didn't want to be there either and I sat out on a bench while the wife and daughter and younger boys went into the Disney Store. He commented, as we watched a guy in a black trench coat and spiky hair with metal studs sticking out of various parts of his face, that it should be legal to use a Taser gun on people like that. I agreed and for the rest of the time there we would look at each other and say "Taser" every time we saw another freak.

Whenever I'm at the mall looking at a similar youth in clothes and hair like you describe....I think about how much that guy, with the spiked colored hair, nose ring, untied, black, 40 lb. boots.....really hates his parents.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    I have 5 kids. One of them is a daughter and the other 4 are boys. Apparently, it is vital to a 13 year old girls health and well being to visit the mall occasionally and today I was begged to go to the mall. I of course, being an idiot in addition to an soft touch for my only girl said OK.

So, I went upstairs, strapped on the Glock 23, 4 spare fully loaded 13 round mags, 2 back up guns with a spare magazine each, 6 knives of various kinds and sizes, 2 cans of pepper spray, a stun gun, telescoping baton, Kevlar vest, 3 cell phones, and 3 flashlights. I was ready to go. But, I found I was unable to walk with all that on so a got rid of everything but the G23, 2 spare mags, a flashlight, a knife, one can of pepper spray (FOX labs) and the cell phone. Almost felt naked though.
    And to quote Mr Muir:
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

On my next birthday I'll be 40.....but at some point in the recent past,I caught myslef saying to myself..."How does she get out of the house dressed like that?"and "Look at this kid,will ya"when did this happen???I used to be the one w/ the spikey hair and weird clothes...now I'm the "old guy"..instead of looking at "chicks"and seeing a cute girl,all I can think is"she's someone's daughter"a sad day...I'm going to bed now,it's 930..and nothing good happens after 9,only bad,evil things.....God help me.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

"My oldest son who is 17 and who really didn't want to be there either and I sat out on a bench"

You've obviously done something right!

Distinguished Member
    I notice the same thing when we go shopping in the cities. Do you ever notice the security guards, the last mall I was in the 2 guards were unarmed, and as I passed by them it was unreal to think that I as a shopper was in a better position to get my family and myself out of a bad situation than the guards that were there. I spent several minutes watching them, and what I observed was they were more interested in looking at the cleavage in the mall then looking for suspicious people.

Sounds like you've got a nice family going on.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Mike, I was sitting here watching to see if the Packers are going to pull the game out (currently 20-20) and went to DefensiveCarry website. Came across your thread. I always enjoy reading your comments, and I will have to say that your words describing how you tried to equip yourself to go to the Mall gave me the greatest laugh I have had today. It's just the picture that all of us go through from time to time trying to LOAD UP and finding we can't function. You probably felt like David did in the Bible when Saul wanted him to wear his heavy armour when he went out to fight Goliath, but found he could not even move with all the weight. Thanks for your honesty. I enjoy reading your post. And one thing for sure--the next time I go to the Mall in Memphis I will call you to come watch my back. You are the kind of guy I want on my side! Have a blessed week!
    Last edited by limatunes; January 20th, 2008 at 11:54 PM. Reason: fixed quotes

I have found that the "freaks" out there (metal studs, wearing etc) are for the most part not nearly as dangerous as the thugs, regular bad guys. The ones that don't look like freaks, but will stab you in the back. Most of the freaks out there, no people look at them like freaks, and thats what they want.. they got their attention and are happy.

Still don't like them however - does that make me a biggot?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links