Dummy with a gun

This is a discussion on Dummy with a gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hopyard Whenever intervening in someone else's bizz you run the risk of completely mistaking what is actually going on. E.g., in the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dummy with a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Whenever intervening in someone else's bizz you run the risk of completely mistaking what is actually going on. E.g., in the scenario above the 60 year old could be a fugative and the guy doing the kicking a bondsman.
    Like i said not enough info, a boot could be a deadly.
    Depending on the situation
    Not having a permit: stupid
    Pulling a unloaded gun: beyond stupid
    IHO (maybe saving someone) : not a felony
    don't get me wrong I'm a huge ufc fan.
    I just think the fear of our judicial system has alot of people looking the other way. He stopped the fight from getting out of control as we all know on the street , you fight to win. now lets punish him.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; January 22nd, 2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2. Remove Ads

Anyone can own a gun. . . another reason for us to think about presenting an appropriate image of ccw, as we are encouraged to through this forum.

Oh boy... What what this guy thinking? Pointing an un-loaded gun at two people involved in a fight.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY View Post
    Ya can't just hand things out to everybody. If you have to work for it you value ti a bit more. Or at least I do.
    that was said in the book starship troopers. of course that book is considered evil.(gee lower crimerates because people are required to be responsible for their actions!?! how evil)
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

I was involved in similiar situation

I was leaving an outdoor shopping mall, when I observed a "gentleman" fighting with a young lady, while two small children stood by screaming. I had my teenage son with me, so I quickly pulled the car a safe distance away, gave my son my cell phone to call 911, and exited the vehichle and approached the area of the scuffle. before leaving the vehicle I unholstered my firearm and placed it under the front seat of my vehicle. Since I parked around the corner and out of site, to make sure my son was in a safe position, it took me about 30 seconds to get in position to where I could see the scuffle. Once I got close the kids were in the back of her car and she was trying to drive away. They were standing up in the back seat, as the male was trying to get her out of the car. I yelled at him to step away from the vehicle, but he refused and she didn't help matters by arguing back. I grabbed him from behind, pulled him away from the car. I was suprised that he put up no resistance, and threw his hands up in a surrendering posture. This is when the female decided to get out of the car and further antagonize him. I yelled for her to leave, and before I could bareley get those words out of my mouth another male came out of nowhere and attacked the first perpetrator. I was now in the middle of a full-blown domestic disturbance. I was able to seperate the two men from each other, partly because a few other motorists stopped and a small crowd was beginning to gather. Some harsh and loudly spoken words did the trick and I never had to use any force other than the inital grab and some pushing and shoving when the second "gentleman" arrived. The woman got in the car and sped away, kids still screaming, and the first guy got in his car and took off. Once all of the principles had left, the mall security showed up, soon followed by LEO's. To make a long story short, the (husband/baby's daddy) showed up and caught his wife with another man. Husband was Perp#1. He and perp #2 were slugging it out, but the wife was able to step in and break them up. Second perp was out of the picture and the hubby and wife were going at it when I arrived. Fortunately they were more concerned with barking rather than biting, and noone was suffered any serious injuries.

I made a quick decision to personally get involved because of the presence of children. I made a second decision to leave my weapon in my vehicle, I didn't want it getting exposed during a struggle, and myself or the perp being forced into a deadly confrontation,(something I will not ever do again). I was very fortunate that the situation ended as it did. My teenage son did as he was told and was shielded from the event by a building.

If I had it to do all over again, I definitely would have done things differently. I should have called 911 and observed the situation from a safe distance and then acted only if someone were in danger of serious harm or death. What's the point in carrying a concealed firearm if you are going to get yourself into a situation where you leave it behind? Don't get into a scuffle/fight while carrying a firearm, that takes away your advantage of having a firearm and could give an unarmed perp the chance to become an armed perp. It also doesn't hurt to get a little more "intel" before you rush into something.

good,lesson learned. even though you mean well,situations like
    these can sometimes come back and bite you in the %@*
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Chris,

Your posting should be it's own thread under a heading of something akin to; 'Life Lessons: What not to do!'.
    Excellent post IMHO and it's too bad it'll be forever lst and largely unseen amongst the responses of this singular thread.

- Janq

P.S. - In many states leaving a firearm as you did unsecured under the front seat of your vehicle in the presence, direct access, and 'care' of a child would be a felony (!).
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links