Are we paranoid?

Are we paranoid?

This is a discussion on Are we paranoid? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...not because we carry, but how we seem to go to extrremes in worrying about printing a bit? Maybe I am reading/perceiving such comments regarding ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Are we paranoid?

...not because we carry, but how we seem to go to extrremes in worrying about printing a bit?

Maybe I am reading/perceiving such comments regarding the concern for printing to an extreme that is not there?

I too, am concerned, and try my best to dress appropriately and monitor my actions as not to tip my hand. However, we are carrying legally. If a rare slip of the shirt causes a print or the bottom inch of an OWB holster, is thit to be so feared?

I believe that 99% of people are so self absorbed and focused on their own issues and tasks, they are not likely to notice.

I mean really...who is going to check out a 50 year old 220 lb. grandpa enough to notice a slight disproportionate hint of a bulge over the right side?

The danger I see here is that too many CCW folks are carrying a less than effective or optimum weapons, thus hindering their survivability if the worst happens, in order to have their weapon nearly invisable.

Thoughts?
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Senior Moderator
    Printing has never worried me but I've had the opportunity to live in states that are also open carry states.

Some have to worry about it more than others because they can loose their license for simple wardrobe malfunctions. While it's not very likely, it's certainly something to be considered for those who have to deal with it.

Still there are others who work/live/operate in very ANTI gun areas and their status as concealed carriers is best kept a state secret. Exposing their firearm, or printing could mean the loss of their livelihood and I will never blame them for being a little more cautious than I.

I think it's easy for new carriers to obsess over it a little bit, after all they are trying to get used to carry and it's natural that they feel a little cautious their first couple of times out.

I don't worry about it too much. I don't have a lot of loose if I print of show. Others don't have my freedom and so they worry about it a little more.

I would be the same way if placed in their shoes.

I carry large handguns as in GP100 and Beretta Brigadier. I've learned to conceal them with minimal printing. Frankly, I've stopped thinking much about it. Most people are self absorbed and if I've ever been made I certainly haven't been confronted or told about it.

On the whole, I agree with you. People notice very little they don't want to notice, or aren't trying to notice. My gun fell on the floor at work last night (only from 3 inches) and no one even noticed, thank the gods.

That being said, I know there are some states (or sometimes just towns, counties, etc.) where even printing is enough to get your license revoked. This is not a concern in places with OC, but I know it's a big concern for people in places like that.

ETA: Yeah, what Lima said....except she's faster on the "Post" button, apparently. :)
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

Interesting comments...I am apparently ignorant of so many other issues that people in other states have to deal with.

I should count myself very fortunate, while my area is extremely "liberal" in the political sense, I am happily amazed as to how the shift towards acceptance and understanding of legal CCW is swinging our way.

I stand a more informed citizen.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

I try not to print so I do not upset the le.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Printing has never worried me but I've had the opportunity to live in states that are also open carry states.

I would be the same way if placed in their shoes.
    +1...
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

A rant on paranoia....

Sorry in advance for the rant - I'm "frozen in" (I live on a steep hill and it's got a solid sheet of ice on it at the moment, so I stayed home from work) and surfing forums today.

I do think most CCW'ers seem to worry too much about printing. The odds of a "sheeple" thinking "oh, I bet that's a gun" are pretty low - more likely they'll think its a cell phone, fanny pack, colostomy bag, etc... and that's if they notice at all. Remember, the "average" person walking around doesn't have the heightened level of situational awareness most of us do.
    Once you find a CCW and holster rig that suits you right, and you get comfortable with it, stop worrying about it. I'm looking for a gun/holster combo myself at the moment, heh.

On a related note...

I think carrying at all waking hours isn't paranoid - a threat can come at you anytime, anywhere.
    I think doing your best to avoid trouble - such as crossing a street or going the long way around a block to avoid some shady characters - isn't paranoid, its being a responsible sheepdog (not exposing yourself to unnecessary risk, not putting yourself in a situation where you might have to use force).
    I think choosing a corner booth at restaurants so you can see the doors and who's coming in them isn't paranoid - it's being cautious of your surroundings.

Those things I can justify as sane.
    Where I draw the line between cautiousness and paranoia is doing things like entering your home gun-in-hand when coming home at night. Taking a pistol to the bathroom also seems like it may be crossing into paranoia.
    Specifically avoiding places you can't carry also seems like it's right on the line - it's bordering on letting paranoia control your life if you decide where you should and shouldn't go based on where you can and can't carry. But we all do it to some degree.

Where do most of you draw the line?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Sponsor
    You're not paranoid if everyone is out to get you!

Now, where did I put my tin foil hat...?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria
    [Snip]
    I think carrying at all waking hours isn't paranoid - a threat can come at you anytime, anywhere.
    [Snip]
    Taking a pistol to the bathroom also seems like it may be crossing into paranoia.
    Pete,
    You seem to contradict yourself here. If carrying in my house doesn't make me paranoid(I do and I'm not[no, really, he's not!{...shut up and let him talk!}].) Then how could taking my sidearm to the latrine with me make me paranoid(ssshhh...I told you to let him talk!).

Seriously...
    We, as armed citizens, are naturally more aware of the signs of being armed. We pick up on the attitude and mannerisms quickly because we try to use the little "tricks" to stay concealed or conceal effectively everyday, all day. Your average person (unarmed) won't pick up on these tells because they do exactly what they are intended to. Minimize the possibility of being made. They are only tells to the initiated. What we perceive as an obvious print/flash will , more than likely, never be noticed by anyone else.

As Lima and BlackBear stated, some states/cities/areas are harsher on printing/brandishing than others. In some places, Ive been told, simply printing without anyone even seeing the sidearm can be considered menacing.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Pete,
    You seem to contradict yourself here. If carrying in my house doesn't make me paranoid(I do and I'm not[no, really, he's not!{...shut up and let him talk!}].) Then how could taking my sidearm to the latrine with me make me paranoid(ssshhh...I told you to let him talk!).
    OK, I see the contradiction, but to me there's a distinct difference.
    I have a weapon on me or within arms reach 99% of the time when I'm at home.
    But when I wake up at 3 AM to go one room down the hall to take a leak, I don't bother taking a gun with me (although there is a .22 Beretta in the magazine rack next to the toilet).
    Doing so would make me feel a little too... ish.... walking down the hall in nothing but a pair of boxers, carrying a .357, just to go take a leak, in my own bathroom?

Seriously...
    We, as armed citizens, are naturally more aware of the signs of being armed. We pick up on the attitude and mannerisms quickly because we try to use the little "tricks" to stay concealed or conceal effectively everyday, all day. Your average person (unarmed) won't pick up on these tells because they do exactly what they are intended to. Minimize the possibility of being made. They are only tells to the initiated. What we perceive as an obvious print/flash will , more than likely, never be noticed by anyone else.
    That was exactly my point - we're tuned into looking for prints, etc..., while 95% of the population is not. Even if the average "sheep" DID see a bit of a print from the butt of a gun through a shirt, I doubt they'd think it's a gun anyway.
    Yes we should try hard to stay concealed - but I do think constant mirror checks, keeping your arm over your gun all the time, etc... is probably unnecessary.

As Lima and BlackBear stated, some states/cities/areas are harsher on printing/brandishing than others. In some places, Ive been told, simply printing without anyone even seeing the sidearm can be considered menacing.
    That would definitely suck. I should double-check WA's laws on this, but as far as I can tell, it only becomes a problem when you actually scare someone.

Thanks for the debate.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Here in the PRC when you are issued a CCW you are expected to keep the gun fully CONCEALED. Failure to do so is a crime and one could easily lose his/her CCW privlege.

Im not worried at home, I have a freind with an attitude.
    Between him and my avatar my bathroom is pretty safe.

GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    Here in the PRC when you are issued a CCW you are expected to keep the gun fully CONCEALED. Failure to do so is a crime and one could easily lose his/her CCW privlege.
    Escalon...I'm from Turlock...many moons ago...small world.

To the point...how does California define concealed? I remember my MJC Police Academy classes I learned that if one can identify & define the object in question accurately (as a handgun) it is fair game and not concealed. However...a suspicious "lump" is just that.

I agree, the vast majority of people have no idea, concern, or care about guns. It is not even a thought in their minds and if they did happen to notice a bulge I don't think "gun" would be their first thought unless perhaps you tend to dress in the gang-banger style. I carry a gun almost always, for years, and I have yet to have anyone notice or say anything.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Rbrown777 View Post
    Escalon...I'm from Turlock...many moons ago...small world.

To the point...how does California define concealed? I remember my MJC Police Academy classes I learned that if one can identify & define the object in question accurately (as a handgun) it is fair game and not concealed. However...a suspicious "lump" is just that.
    Salida here, went to Turkey Tech! If someone can clearly identify the lump as a weapon, you are not concealed. That being said, anyone who can id the weapon probably won't say anything because they aren't sheeple!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links