Defensive Carry banner

The elusive and mystical "New York City" Concealed Pistol Permit...

40K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  SCfromNY 
#1 ·
A November 2006 story in the New York Post reported the following:
"...The Post reported in March that among those with permits to carry concealed weapons in the city are cosmetics heir Ronald Lauder, Donald Trump and Seagrams scion Edgar Bronfman Sr.

Also allowed to pack heat are actors Robert De Niro and Harvey Keitel; radio personalities Howard Stern and Don Imus; and state Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno, who doesn't live in the city, but has an office here.

The Post also re ported in March that the number of pistol permits in the city has declined, dropping to 38,544 this year, from 41,173 in 2003.

Last year, 81 percent of those who applied were granted a permit to carry a concealed gun."

For many years I lived and worked in New York City (Manhattan, to be more specific). I was one of the fortunate "priviledged" (yes, I recognize that) who was able to carry a handgun because I was a LEO. I recognized that it was impossible for the average citizen to get a concealed carry permit in NYC. Power, money, and serious connections were needed. It was considered common knowledge that Don Imus and Howard Stern had permits. But, I actually personally knew an attorney who had a permit and carried a Kimber on a daily basis. For those of you familiar with Manhattan, he lived in the Murray Hill/Sutton Place neighborhood, which should come as no shock. To say he had money would be an understatement.

So, do any of you New Yorkers actually personally know somebody who has a concealed carry permit (excluding retired cops)? And, if so, how did they get it? special circumstances? Political connections? Money? Both? If you look at the records, you can see they exist (in small numbers). So who has them?
Gonzo

See less See more
#2 ·
I do not know one personally but my mom has dealt personally with Ron Lauder... Not the sharpest crayon in the box. He is basically given money to blow as he sees fit and stays away from the family business (Estee Lauder - Makeup). He is (was, I believe there is a divorce going on) a big Republican contributor and has hosted individuals like Colin Powell while he was Sec of State.

In his case it was clearly political and cash.

#3 ·
I had one the last 2 years I lived there.
I was CFO of a Major Law Firm.
Partners with names like Ambassador and Former Attorney General.

When I was on Wall Street I couldn't score one to save my life.

Got stopped once on the street. Cop freaked out that I had a CCW. Also figured out he better just let me go.

Then I moved,
Thank God.

AFS

#5 ·
I live on the Upper West Side of Manhattan at the moment.

the number of pistol permits in the city has declined, dropping to 38,544 this year, from 41,173 in 2003.

Last year, 81 percent of those who applied were granted a permit to carry a concealed gun
Gonzo
To quickly clarify for those without knowledge of NYC, the 38,000 figure quoted above are not the number of concealed pistol permits: it includes all permits to legally even own a handgun: home pistol permits, business permits, limited carry, armed guard permits, and even retired LEO permits. Applying for one costs about $450 and takes many months.

NYPD - Permits

I think outside LEO, the number of true concealed handgun licenses is in the hundreds? I don't personally know any of them. NYC Population is 8 million (in 1993 the city estimated there were 2 million illegal guns).

Here is the most recent data I have seen with the breakdown:
NYPD CCW articles from NEWSDAY 9/30/02

Handgun Permits

The Numbers For 2002

TOTAL HANDGUN LICENSES
Applications: 2,651
Issued: 2,117

RESIDENCE
Applications: 784
Issued: 566

CARRY FOR BUSINESS - on your business property only
Unrestricted Applications: 220
Issued: 68

LIMITED CARRY Restricted by hour and day
Applications: 28
Issued: 16

CARRY GUARD Armed security guard
Applications: 454
Issued: 398

SPECIAL ENDORSEMENT Validation of concealed-carry license form elsewhere
Applications: 52
Issued: Down 23

RETIRED OFFICERS
Applications: 1,113
Issued: 1,046

#6 ·
The Peoples Republic of Maryland is the same way. Basically, the only people that are issued CCP's are the people with security details that don't need them anyway, then go to work at the State Senate and vote for tighter gun control.

One set of rules for them, one set for everyone else.

#7 ·
I recently downloaded the NYC form. I am at present trying to doublespeak answers to their questions. Carry for 'Personal Protection' is not a valid reason in the Republic of Bloomberg. I'm going to try and apply for a Special attachment to my state license and then will probably have to take them to court. Hopefully I'll win the Lotto so I can pay for it all.

#11 ·
There you have it; The good old double standard once again.....

#14 ·
The application fee is $340.00. The fingerprint fee is $94.25 for Livescan prints. (If your fingerprints must be done manually using ink, the fee is $105.25.)
:blink:

sorry but i'll stick with my $10 application fee and 10 day waiting period(plus no other charges for finger printing)

(be so much easier and cheaper if they'd just allow OC like here in N.H.):danceban:

#15 ·
+1 $10 for a 5 year permit and no other fees. You also typically get it within 10 buisness days. No ********

#16 ·
Nobody forces you to live there. One of the huge reasons I left CA, over 12 years ago, was of there rediculous gun control laws that keep getting more rediculous. I now live in a state where they believe folks should have the ability to protect them and their loved ones, not to mention all the drugs, gangs and crime my kids haven't been exposed to that I had been by their age. You couldn't pay me to live in a unfriendly gun state like CA. NY. MA. etc......
NCH

#18 ·
I knew two...one was (then) former Police Commissioner Ray Kelly whom I worked for for a few months before he went to Haiti to be a police trainer or something like that....he carried a S&W 2" .38SPL in an ankle holster.

The second was a P.I.

#19 ·
Perhaps not so "elusive" but can be "pricey"!

I'm a former NY'r (yes NYC) who help a "personal protection" unrestricted CCW issued by NYC up until two years ago. I t wasn't "hard to get", perhaps because I had been a reserve (NOT "auxiliary") deputy in LA County for 16 years who qualified monthly and shot DX. what was strange however, was that in the process, it was "suggested" that a "size able contribution" be made to the PBA to help "grease the wheels". I was embarrassed about even being asked. I declined, at it took about a month and it arrived. So I'm not at all surprised that Mssrs. Trump, Deniro and Stern (not to mention the well to do attorney mentioned) have CCW's. I maintain one here in AZ, and while I have mixed feelings about our new changes, I like this system better.

#20 ·
I have a friend who lives in Downsville, NY , not sure which county, and he received his full carry on his first application. Another friend in Binghamton wife received full carry on first try. Up there there is a company called Rochester Defense that helps greatly. The only person I know who has a full carry in NYC is really well connected. Although, almost as tough to get a friend of my son's has a full carry in NJ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.