International CCW/Gun Ownership

This is a discussion on International CCW/Gun Ownership within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; why are you worrying about self defense? those countries dont allow guns, thus they have no crime. realistically though, im not sure about their knife ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: International CCW/Gun Ownership

why are you worrying about self defense? those countries dont allow guns, thus they have no crime.
    realistically though, im not sure about their knife laws, but you may need to look into nontraditional self defense items. ones that couldnt possibly be illegal.
    even if, for example, knives are allowed to be carried in a country, they not be in specific cities. dont mess with this kind of thing overseas. could get ugly.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

2. Remove Ads

Cool

When I was stationed in the Republic of Panama I had a concealed weapons permit. It only cost $10.00 for 3 years but you had to turn in your weapon with 3 rounds so they could do ballistics testing. That took a month or two.
    Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    When I was stationed in the Republic of Panama I had a concealed weapons permit. It only cost $10.00 for 3 years but you had to turn in your weapon with 3 rounds so they could do ballistics testing. That took a month or two.
    a month or two to fire three rounds??? thats insane! here you can get ballistic testing done in a few days a couple weeks at the most.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Quote Originally Posted by nova83tx View Post
    In the next few months I will be moving on from the great state of Texas and will be residing in several different parts of the world over the next few years. This site along with a few others has been a great resource for the rules and regulations for each of the states here in the U.S., but I have become stuck in my research.

I was hoping that someone knew of a site with some vague or general rules of particular countries, or that had links to the proper government offices that would have the regulations available.

Thailand and Australia are going to be the two I am most interested in, because they will be home for about the next 18 months. If anybody has lived, traveled, or has friends/family in these areas, I would appreciate any advice or information that you could give me.

I understand that being able to legally carry concealed is probably a long shot in almost any developed areas, but I would of course even feel better if I could have some defense when I am at the house.

Also, I would be interested in information, if anyone has it, about not only rules about Firearms, but also any other self-defense weapons such as OC, Knives, ASP Batons, etc.

Any information is greatly appreciated . . .
    You aren't by chance former military/CIA/NSA/etc... are you?

If you were, PM me with some details and I will be able to get you in touch with someone in most countries that can help you out.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by nova83tx View Post
    It is even worse than that Puppy, I am going to be in Pattaya for about 9 months, and I am sure that you have been to or heard about what that city has to offer . . .

Thankfully, single as they come at the moment. So as long as I come back alive, I plan on having some fun while over there.
    Pattaya is a beautiful area, or at least it was before the big Tsunami.

There is lots to do there besides,........... well, besides.

If you get a chance spend a weekend or so on Phuket Island. (Do not pronounce phonetically.) I believe that is the most beautiful place in the world. Thai food is my favorite and the hotter the better.

I envy you but I'm too old now.

Don't let an elephant step on you!

Quote Originally Posted by skippythenurse View Post
    In Mexico, you must have a signed permit from the Consulate of Mexico and it can't be a "military caliber" which can mean "no bigger than 9mm" or "non-issued military caliber", depending on the person questioning your firearm. However, you're better off with some pepper spray and a cheap pocket knife because sometimes, depending on the officer/deputy, they will still arrest and give you a hard time and not care about a piece of paper.

I thought about doing it so I could carry my Beretta 85, but after hearing the stories from local buddies at the Consulate in Houston, I figured I shouldn't bother with it and risk going to jail in Mexico where there is no such thing as "Due Process" or "Quick and speedy trial". Just my .02

SIDE NOTE: I have a friend that goes to Thailand yearly for vacation. The only thing you have to worry about are the cab drivers. That is his only warning.

As far as Mexico, most banks, grocery stores, hotels, or high tourist areas are secured with well armed police officers/guards. Like automatic assault rifles and tactical vests. You'll get used to seeing Dodge Ram trucks packed with officers and M-16's or M-4 carbine. I think 1911's is the standard side arm for Guadalajara PD.
    Same for Venezuela. No 9 mm because it's military. I had an associate down there who was pretty big in politics so I thought he could get me a permit. But I didn't know about the 9 mm rule and of course that was what I bought before going there. Oh Well! Live and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    why are you worrying about self defense? those countries dont allow guns, thus they have no crime.
    Actually you are pretty much correct. They have far less crime than this country!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links