Draw from sitting

Draw from sitting

This is a discussion on Draw from sitting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you practice this? - which can include I guess draw in vehicle. We have touched on that more than once but - say in ...

Thread: Draw from sitting

Assistant Administrator

Draw from sitting

Do you practice this? - which can include I guess draw in vehicle.

We have touched on that more than once but - say in restaurant - can you access piece as fast as standing? I think as a practice move it is a wise thing to try and train for. It is not as easy with a table in the way.

I know some regard IDPA as ''just a game'' but we do now and again have this as a start set-up - and IMO it is very useful.

Even more challenging - a draw from prone or supine. Also IMO worth doing to ensure you can. This could well be expanded to include access to and draw from BUG - so, whadya think?

I reckon - practice any and all possibles you can imagine.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

i pratice drawing from sitting but havnet though about prone

Yep. We need to be prepared to draw from various positions, in deference to Mr. Murphy. I practice drawing from standing (of course), sitting, kneeling, and supine positions. I haven't tried prone yet, I'm glad you brought that up.

SSKC

Assistant Administrator
    Prerequisite is, from prone or supine - the ''roll'' - for me that is only way to gain access and so the draw.

Obviously - that roll is such that holster and piece go ''high side'' - so accessible and the strong hand can get hold.

Once that is right - draw comes pretty good. Tho after that - the gun hold and sighting is somewhat awkward - and so that needs practiced.
    Chris - P95

Cross draw solves all these problems and more ... unless you're talking about prone on your belly.

Lead Moderator
    yep, for me prone can be used without rolling. Now access to the spare mag required a roll. Sitting in a vehicle is the slowest , as I am LH and the seatbelt gets in the way.

while I do practice from sitting as you NEVER know...it is probably more likely and probable that you should draw as you stand to MOVE. Let's think about this one...ok, a car is one thing and should be practiced from sitting...in the vehicle even more so...but as fr sitting at say a restaurant or type of venue, you should move...moving increases your chances of survival...standing your ground and drawing will get you shot (moving target is harder to hit)

Another point is, do you really want to draw fire towards your family...?? I sure dont...I do wanna be close enough to protect them, but also as effective as I can be.
    Brad B.

Quote Originally Posted by AZG23
    while I do practice from sitting as you NEVER know...it is probably more likely and probable that you should draw as you stand to MOVE.
    I'd wager it depends a LOT on your situation.

When I'm sitting behind the counter at the gun shop, I have reinforced steel plates behind the facade - it's as hard cover as I'm going to get, and I'm otherwise pretty immobile due to the layout of the shop. Getting up exposes me further, and should I need to shoot *now*, I'm going to take advantage of all that cover has to offer, which is about 60-70% actual cover.

Standing there to move doesn't make sense unless there are lots of multiples to engage in multiple vectors.

Obviously, the situation varies, but movement isn't the be-all and end-all that the gun rag guys have made it out to be.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    At one point or another I have tried drawing and shooting from pretty much all of the positions, but I should practice it more.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

I dont take anything from the gun rags...

Your situation as you say is definitely different...and most counters arent reinforced. If you have hard cover than by all means use it...but I still wouldnt stay put. You were last seen there in that spot..and thats where the BG's will be indexed to. I am not necessarily advocating moving jsut to get to cover..Im saying a moving target is ALOT harder to hit...try it with Airsoft guns in a force on force scenario. Standing still will get you shot or cut or bludgeoned. Moving takes you out of the BG's OODA loop and makes him re-index to you taking up time. Time gives you the upper hand and if you have trained it, you have a much better chance of surviving the encounter.

As rfurt said, alot depends on your situation and surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    I'd wager it depends a LOT on your situation.

When I'm sitting behind the counter at the gun shop, I have reinforced steel plates behind the facade - it's as hard cover as I'm going to get, and I'm otherwise pretty immobile due to the layout of the shop. Getting up exposes me further, and should I need to shoot *now*, I'm going to take advantage of all that cover has to offer, which is about 60-70% actual cover.

Standing there to move doesn't make sense unless there are lots of multiples to engage in multiple vectors.

Obviously, the situation varies, but movement isn't the be-all and end-all that the gun rag guys have made it out to be.
    Brad B.

I practice, I am at high risk while at work and am usually sitting. I holster my weapon so it is easy to draw while seated. I also always have the tool of my trade in my right hand so I must practice dropping that while drawing my weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis
    I practice, I am at high risk while at work and am usually sitting. I holster my weapon so it is easy to draw while seated. I also always have the tool of my trade in my right hand so I must practice dropping that while drawing my weapon.

I hope your not a dentist!!
    Brad B.

Thumbs down crossdraw? uh-uh

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Cross draw solves all these problems and more ... unless you're talking about prone on your belly.
    I'm not going to be doing an effective crossdraw, until I can lose about 50 MORE pounds. I can't get my arm around or over my GUT (which I worked so hard for by doing those evil 12oz curls so many years ago).

Nope, I practice from a strongside IWB position and draw thusly when I'm in a vehicle as driver:

#1 Hunch forward just a bit and grab the butt of the weapon.
    #2a. Draw until muzzle hits the steering wheel and follow the curvature of the wheel over to the window area so I can get lined up on the threat. This works especially well if you're not facing a problem already AT your window.
    #2b. This is for the threat at the window and is a major reason I won't carry a comp gun as carry piece. Draw and pivot weapon right next to chest. Stong hand melds with weakhand for solid grip. If I have to shoot, it's going to be muzzle blast city, I don't need some of it deliberately directed up into my face, as well. Upside is that the whole body becomes a steadying force and the natural "point" is activated.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Excellent Ex - very clear explanation and on reflection very much what I have found to work and practiced.

I guess when you consider options - this is about the way it has to work.

I would like cross draw for vehicle but - tho I am moderately gut-free - I just feel the need to standardize thru and thru on OWB strong side, and work from that. Even re practice thru IDPA stuff - cross draw is a no-no, so - no benefit there.

On the one occasion I had to drive thru a very unwelcome area last year - I actually put my SP-101 between my knees for immediate access were it needed - which it wasn't glad to say.
    Chris - P95

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    This is a very good thread to make you think about situations that you could be thrust into. I am right handed and wear a 3" Kimber in a OWB Galco (fairly high rise)at 3:30-4:00 oclock. When I go into a buisness that I will be seated in I always look for the "ideal seat"(?). I want to have a unobstructed draw from the seated position. This,of course,drives my wife crazy, but she does understand. From a table is fairly easy but the movement probably will give you away. From a booth(inside with right side against the wall) it is a little slower but not as conspicuious. I don't hesitate to tell the waiter where I want to sit. If for some reason I can't sit in the "ideal spot", that's ok,I understand.I just try to make the best of it. I move furnature around in the house and practice with a cheap spring gun that shoots those darts with the suction cups. The practice gives me an idea of where I want to sit in relation to a door,wall,window,or other large potential cover items. ----- Now in a vechicle is a diffrent story. There is (for me) no easy way to draw my weapon. I have to unbuckle. And the buckle is down pretty far on the side of the seat. The way that I solve this is in my Toyota Tundra there is a "hidden" compartment at the front of the console. If you didn't own a Tundra,you would not know that it is there. It's just enough room for my S&W Mod 60 snub and two speed loaders. The top of the compartment comes off very fast and can be reached without leaning forward. It's perfect for an extra weapon. Thinking on it--- there is probably a 50% chance that if you ever have to present your weapon in an emergency situation you will be seated. IMO we all need to figure out beforehand how we will accomplish the draw. For me,it is still in the "there's gotta be a better way" mode.------- P95 >> great thread << !

Sponsored Links