Campus radio debate on AZ campus concealed carry law, need advice

This is a discussion on Campus radio debate on AZ campus concealed carry law, need advice within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I'm a college student in Northern Arizona University and a proud CCW member (hi). I was invited to be a guest on a political ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campus radio debate on AZ campus concealed carry law, need advice

Campus radio debate on AZ campus concealed carry law, need advice

Hi, I'm a college student in Northern Arizona University and a proud CCW member (hi). I was invited to be a guest on a political debate show hosted by some moron claiming to be a libertarian and two lesser morons (nice people actually) who hold the Democrat flag. I, personally, am independent, and am qualified to speak mainly because my CCW-ness, my obsessive compulsion towards researching CCW law and my experience as a senior reporter and crime log writer for the campus rag. I'm preparing to be ridiculed, patronized and stereotyped not only by the hosts, but by the universities large (and ignorant) pseudo-hippie population. These questions go out to all of those lawyers and police officers and such who know the law (hopefully) better than I do.

1) Should I use my real name?
    2) Anything you should recommend me NOT saying?
    3) Any AZ-specific tidbits of legal information I should use?

I'm trying desperately hard to make my stance typical of CCW owners, but considering the average concealed weapons permit holder is white, age 40-60 (I'm 21, half white/half cuban combo), I feel my hopes may be all for naught. Anyone collegegoers on this site who can spread some seeds of wisdom? I'm not saying the older population is useless on this topic; by all means, share your experiences and advice, oh wise ones. Age just mean more years to carry, and I'm sure many older folks who may carry have experienced some problems with discrimination as well.

I appreciate any advice you guys (and and ladies) could bring on the topic. The show is on the 25th and will be broadcast on KJACK radio online. I would love to get my learn on until then.

Alex

2. Remove Ads

You're facing a tough audience! College liberals are fierce. I'd have no problem using my name, in a small town like Flagstaff who cares? I'd prefer they know I carry. Grab all the statistics you can find about justifiable self-defense shootings. Use the recent on campus rampages. Most importantly, get the stats from cities like Washington, LA, NY,and Detroit concerning violent crime and the inability for honest citizens to defend themselves. Good luck in your interview...be honest, confident, and well spoken!
    Tracy

Good luck! I agree with AZ, just focus on being clear, confident and honest. Continue your research and I'm sure you already have a lot of stats and other important facts, make sure you know those and can sort through them when your asked or have to respond to a remark.

Above all, stay level headed and do NOT let them get you all heated up where you start to "fight" in the trenches with them, only serves to get you dirty. I think if you stay level-headed, calm, and prevent the facts, honest reasons and scenarios then you'll do what you came to do. Let them get all flustered and talk themselves into corners

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I would add some information regarding the Supreme Court's ruling that the police are not responsible to protect you and the length of time for a 911 call to bring them.

I like using the article "The Racial Roots Of Gun Control" to show people how gun laws are racially biased and prevent the greatest number of crime victims from using their right to protect themselves.

Second Amendment Freedoms Aided The Civil Rights Movement

The key is to get make a point that could be personal and stick with them and contradict their belief system.

I also like the idea of using a pro-choice argument regarding my right to own a firearm vs. another person's choice to not own one.

Have some good resources such as books, websites, etc. that you can rattle off the name and address of.

Gun Facts Informaton

NCPA-Crime Issues: Self-Defense and Gun Control

Analyzing The Second Amendment

You might get some great ideas from Penn & Teller

Penn & Teller on Gun Control
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

make sure in your stats that they realize many times waiting for the police to get there (though no fault of their own ) would have resulted in the death of the chl holder.
    also i agree with holding your temper no matter how hard, it is no ones right to tell you that you cant defend yourself....good luck...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

With my journalism experience (going on three years now, basically full-time hours) I'm sure I can handle my temper. One of the reasons I got the permit was because of how calm I can be under stress, including personal attacks against me and my fragile little ego. Even if they don't respect me, I can respect them.

I'm scouring the NRA sites now...

hm. not quite so how to help ya. but hi, and good luck!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Ashoob,

did you get your CCW instruction up here? If so(or even if elsewhere), you might want to contact the instructor for some advice...

Be sure to mention that Utah public colleges are forced to allow concealed carry on campus, and that there are more than 500 students carrying daily with no problems:

YouTube - CNN - Conceal Carry on College Campus

By the way, I wouldn't worry too much about the so-called Libertarian. They're on our side!

Quote Originally Posted by scratchy wilson View Post
    Ashoob,

did you get your CCW instruction up here? If so(or even if elsewhere), you might want to contact the instructor for some advice...
    It's a small town and I've seen him around a couple times, leading to brief, awkward conversation. I'll leave him be.

The NRA-ILA site revealed a goldmine, and going to their sources reveals even more interesting facts. I can post some if anyone's interested.

I always wondered which states allowed CCW on campus. Any other states allow it?

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    You might also point out the shootings that have occurred is the "Gun free zones". In other words, the zones not only fail to protect you, but take away the means of defense by those of us who are law abiding citizens. If CCW were allowed on college campuses, then Cho may not have been able to kill over 30 people in Blacksburg last year. You can also relate the story of the woman who fought for concealed carry in Texas. She left her gun in the car, and went into a restaurant for lunch with her parents. A lunatic comes in with a gun, and starts shooting, killing her father while he lay in her arms. The number of stories are just staggering.

Go to front sight. One of the best lessons on defending the right to Carry
    May be worth a phone call.

Thumbs up

Please post the time when you'll be on the air. I'd like to listen in.
    Thanks for being willing to stand up for "us".
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

it would be an added bonus if you could use the 911 tape made of the lady in Indiana.
    where she is forced to shoot her stalker. it is all caught on tape as her phone was left on during the episode.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Students for Concealed Carry on Campus - ConcealedCampus.com

maybe you have already been here....but it is a good site.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links