Am I Legal?

This is a discussion on Am I Legal? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a WV resident with a WV CC permit....when driving in my car to VA, every day with my pistol concealed, am I still legal ...

Thread: Am I Legal?

Am I Legal?

I'm a WV resident with a WV CC permit....when driving in my car to VA, every day with my pistol concealed, am I still legal in VA the same way I am legal in WV.......or are there different rules? I cannot find a straight answer anywhere online. I've read yes and I've read no.

2. Remove Ads

If people use the word reciprocity when you discuss this, yes.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

usacarry.com is your best bet. I checked it and Virginia honors the West Virginia CC permit. There may be different laws overall governing concealed carry, and you are subject to the laws of the state that you are in (meaning that if the laws regarding where CC permit holders can carry are different, you are subject to VA's laws on it when in VA), but you are legal in Virginia to carry concealed (insofar as it is legal in VA).
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

yep. but make sure you check their laws. im sure they are different (where specifically you can carry etc)
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    usacarry.com is your best bet.
    There is not very much info on the site about state law and restricted places...

Handgunlaw.us/ seems to be a more complete source of info.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerp95 View Post
    I'm a WV resident with a WV CC permit....when driving in my car to VA, every day with my pistol concealed, am I still legal in VA the same way I am legal in WV.......or are there different rules? I cannot find a straight answer anywhere online. I've read yes and I've read no.
    From what I can see, yes you are legal.

There is ONE thing you do need to be aware of. If you stop for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a snack and the restaurant you stop at serves alcohol, you cannot conceal. Beleive it or not you MUST OPEN CARRY when in such a restaurant.
    --
    Your second amendment rights are showing!
    http://www.opencarry.org

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    How does this work in VA at a gas station that sells alcohol. Is CCW prohibited there too? Pretty much all the gas staions I've been to in VA sell beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    How does this work in VA at a gas station that sells alcohol. Is CCW prohibited there too? Pretty much all the gas staions I've been to in VA sell beer.
    It's only an issue if the place SERVES alcohol for consumption on premises. If they only sell alcohol for off premises consumption you can remain concealed. So in the gas station, grocery store, or even the Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) board store you can carry concealed.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post

Great question....it was my next one!

sorry about using the word legal...reciprocity is a much better term for this subject matter.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    It's only an issue if the place SERVES alcohol for consumption on premises. If they only sell alcohol for off premises consumption you can remain concealed. So in the gas station, grocery store, or even the Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) board store you can carry concealed.
    It made me wonder for a minute there. I remember when we we're down there once, we stopped to get some gas on our way back up to PA. I was carrying when I went into the store and noticed how much cheaper the beer was, and bought a case. Its good to know thats ok.

Links