Pennsylvania and Ohio reciprocity

This is a discussion on Pennsylvania and Ohio reciprocity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know if there is any progress being made getting PA and OH to get reciprocity with one another? PA is practically landlocked by ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania and Ohio reciprocity

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Pennsylvania and Ohio reciprocity

Does anyone know if there is any progress being made getting PA and OH to get reciprocity with one another? PA is practically landlocked by non-reciprocity/ccw states (except WV).

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Does anyone know if there is any progress being made getting PA and OH to get reciprocity with one another? PA is practically landlocked by non-reciprocity/ccw states (except WV).
    I haven't heard anything, but I did send for a Florida non-resident CCW packet. I have it filled out except for the fingerprinting. This will give me Ohio and I believe an additional 8 states. (?)

I'm waiting for Ohio and Texas, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by chenemf View Post
    I'm waiting for Ohio and Texas, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting...
    Try the non-resident path to get Ohio.

Assistant Administrator
    Right now the answer is to get a FL non-res ..... that will mean all contiguous and close states then to west and south (except MD - that darned small narrow corridor, on the way to VA!) are OK.

Good tho that WV joined in - that helps.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I have a WV permit, but I am moving to OH soon. Is it easier to get a PA non res or a FL non res. Is FL even good in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have a WV permit, but I am moving to OH soon. Is it easier to get a PA non res or a FL non res. Is FL even good in PA?
    It is way easier and cheaper to get a PA non-resident permit.
    Look up Centre Co. CCW permits and you are all set.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    FLA non res permit is fully accepted in PA. PA makes no distinction between resident and non-resident permits. If PA is reciprocal with state X and you have a valid state X permit (res or non-res), you're good to go.

If you're a PA resident, FLA gets you Ohio and also DE. PA already is reciprocal with WV and VA. But don't expect anything more than that in our lifetimes. There is no chance for reciprocity with MD, NJ, NY.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    FLA non res permit is fully accepted in PA. PA makes no distinction between resident and non-resident permits. If PA is reciprocal with state X and you have a valid state X permit (res or non-res), you're good to go.

If you're a PA resident, FLA gets you Ohio and also DE. PA already is reciprocal with WV and VA. But don't expect anything more than that in our lifetimes. There is no chance for reciprocity with MD, NJ, NY.
    UT gets a PA resident all that FL does (KS doesn't count - they only recognize FL residents on an FL permit), and more (WA and MN), for less money. Not a big deal if you never go to WA or MN, but hey, it's cheaper!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

While I would love to have reciprocity with PA I doubt that it is coming any time soon- primarily because Ohio requires that the states they recognize have a similar training or education element to the CHL process...

I wish that OH would get around to CO too - and they do have a similar length (class length) requirement, but I just don't see it happening soon...

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    UT gets a PA resident all that FL does (KS doesn't count - they only recognize FL residents on an FL permit), and more (WA and MN), for less money.
    The problem is that UT-certified trainers in PA is a new thing. A few years ago there weren't ANY in PA; now there is still only a small handful.

Whereas the FLA training requirement is some universally available NRA class, and there are quite a few "get everything done in one day" FLA CCW events, where they do the training, take the fingerprints, fill out the paperwork, take the photos, etc.

If a PA guy lives near a UT trainer, that's great. But many don't.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    The problem is that UT-certified trainers in PA is a new thing. A few years ago there weren't ANY in PA; now there is still only a small handful.

Whereas the FLA training requirement is some universally available NRA class, and there are quite a few "get everything done in one day" FLA CCW events, where they do the training, take the fingerprints, fill out the paperwork, take the photos, etc.

If a PA guy lives near a UT trainer, that's great. But many don't.
    True. I traveled 2 hours to Easton to get the training, but I met some cool people, got to shoot at a range with them, and got a great discount on some holsters from jsholsters.com. There were trainers closer to me, but I had a schedule conflict. Plus, in my case there's a potential for business and/or family to get me to WA state in the next couple of years. With the UT CFP, I'm good to go there.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Quote Originally Posted by MR D View Post
    While I would love to have reciprocity with PA I doubt that it is coming any time soon- primarily because Ohio requires that the states they recognize have a similar training or education element to the CHL process...

I wish that OH would get around to CO too - and they do have a similar length (class length) requirement, but I just don't see it happening soon...

Mr. D, with an Ohio license, a New Hampshire non-resident license . . . $20 by mail . . . will get you reciprocity with PA and CO . . . and LA, MS, AL, GA, and ND. Here's a link to the application form.
    http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/n...ts/dssp260.pdf
    It took about 4 weeks to get mine.

-Jim
    An armed man is a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 4sfed View Post
    Mr. D, with an Ohio license, a New Hampshire non-resident license . . . $20 by mail . . . will get you reciprocity with PA and CO . . . and LA, MS, AL, GA, and ND. Here's a link to the application form.
    http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/n...ts/dssp260.pdf
    It took about 4 weeks to get mine.

-Jim
    Jim,
    I could be wrong... out dated info, what ever. But I don't believe CO recognizes non res licenses. I have been looking for a way around this my self. My Ohio res and PA non res gets me everywhere I am interested in except CO and I do love Cripple Creek in the summer!

BTW PA non res=$25.00/5yrs Must have a valid ccw from your home state if one is offered. You do have to pick up your initial license in person.(not renewals)
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

luvmy40 is correct. CO only recognizes resident CHLs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links