Relocation

This is a discussion on Relocation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have recently relocated to Florida and I got a few questions. First I have an Arizona CCW permit and drivers license. Should i get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relocation

Relocation

i have recently relocated to Florida and I got a few questions. First I have an Arizona CCW permit and drivers license. Should i get a Florida drivers license the get a Florida CCW permit? Or will I be legal with a Florida license and AZ permit? I can get a Florida drivers license in a couple of hours, how long does it take to get a CCW permit. I have satisfied the Florida requirement training as I am a vet. Hopefully you guys can help me out with this.

Ed
    US Navy Retired Silent Service

The real test of a man is not when he plays the role he wants for himself, but when he plays the role destiny has for him.
    Vaclav Havel

2. Remove Ads

If you've relocated to FL, why not get the FL DL? The FL CCW permit is easy enough to get, but once you have FL as your home state, your AZ permit will not cover you...FL only recognizes CCW permits from 'residents' of any state's permit.
    You may want to keep the AZ DL and get the FL CCW permit...but if you are really living in FL you're not technically legal...not a problem until you have an incident.

OMO

Stay armed...legally...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

As I thought as soon as i get the FL DL my AZ CCW is invalid. I guess the best route is get the FL CCW and then get the FL DL. Thanks for t info it was pretty much what I thought.

Ed

The real test of a man is not when he plays the role he wants for himself, but when he plays the role destiny has for him.
    Vaclav Havel

how long can u live in a state before u get that states drivers licence?
    i will have the same problem soon (if i ever find a job that is).
    i will be relocated to another state, who knows where. if that state recognizes my MI CPL, and i move there. what happens in between the time that i move there and that i get my CPL (or whatever its called there) for that state?
    i would rather not have any period of time with my license. donno if thats possible.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fsufanaz View Post
    i have recently relocated to Florida and I got a few questions. First I have an Arizona CCW permit and drivers license. Should i get a Florida drivers license the get a Florida CCW permit? Or will I be legal with a Florida license and AZ permit? I can get a Florida drivers license in a couple of hours, how long does it take to get a CCW permit. I have satisfied the Florida requirement training as I am a vet. Hopefully you guys can help me out with this.
    Ed
    Looks like you better get on the stick!

Florida New Resident-DHSMV

"In the state of Florida, a motor vehicle is required by law to be registered within ten days of the owner either becoming employed, placing children in public school, or establishing residency. Registering your motor vehicle goes hand in hand with the titling process."
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quick tip

It usually takes 60 to 90 days to get your permit, once you apply. One way to get it back a little faster is to get electronic fingerprints. when I applied for my permit Iwas living in jacksonville, and since my office was out at the beach I got my fingerprints done at the Jax beach police dept. They did them the old fashion way and I got my permit 90 days later. A friend of mine went downtown to the sheriffs office, got the fancy prints, and had his permit back in a month. also don't forget to change your vehichle registration as well. A week before I moved from jacksonville over to fort walton beach, I changed my license as well as the address on my CCW. Someone decided to rear-end me before I could change my vehicle registration, and I thought the LEO was going to take me to jail. Don't forget your vehicle registration, unless of course you are an illegal alien. Then feel free to apply for welfare, food stamps, a new driver's license, and a voter's registration card. If you are here illegally then don't waste your time with vehicle registration or insurance. those things are only for us legals.

wait a min. either one of these statements is not true, or its impossible for you to move states and not have a significant amount of no carry time:
    1. you need to be a resident of that state to get a CCW in that state (not true for all states, but many)
    2. once you get your DL in the state you are moving to, your CCW from the state you used to live in is no longer valid
    3. getting your ccw is not instantaneous is most states by any means.

see the problem?
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    wait a min. either one of these statements is not true, or its impossible for you to move states and not have a significant amount of no carry time:
    1. you need to be a resident of that state to get a CCW in that state (not true for all states, but many)
    2. once you get your DL in the state you are moving to, your CCW from the state you used to live in is no longer valid
    3. getting your ccw is not instantaneous is most states by any means.

see the problem?

Now you're getting it!

The best thing you can do (if possible) is get a non-resident permit that is valid in multiple states and is accepted for carry as such. Meaning you don't have to be a resident of the issuing state for the state you are in to recognize your permit (sadly depending on where you relocate to, this isn't always possible)

Also, the amount of time a particular state gives one to register their vehicle and get their drivers license varies. It can be as little as 10 days and as much as 90, in most of the places I've lived it's seems like they've given 30 days.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

I have a friend who recently went through all of this in FL. Ever read the book Catch 22?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Technically I am still a resident of AZ. I own a house, have a car registered and I am registered to vote there. As soon as I sell the house in AZ I will move to FL. The car I drive is a company car which is registered in FL but not registered to me, I can always tell them i am only visiting. Now I am working and staying in FL(I am staying with relatives). I suppose the best way to proceed is to get the FL CCW first since they will issue to non residents and it takes 30-90 days to get. That will take the longest, as the DL will only take about an hour or so depending on wait time. I live in the Panhandle and the Sheriff here does do electronic fingerprints. Thanks in advance for all your help in thinking this thing through.

Ed

Vaclav Havel

Quote Originally Posted by fsufanaz View Post
    As I thought as soon as i get the FL DL my AZ CCW is invalid. I guess the best route is get the FL CCW and then get the FL DL. Thanks for t info it was pretty much what I thought.

Ed
    fsufanaz,

You will do what you want (as we all do), but the question you asked has been answered. If you are a resident of FL, you have 10 days to change your license legally.

You will have to decide the ethics of your own choices.
    Stinks, but that's the law. Do lots of people ignore it? Yes, they do.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Looking back (if I had it to do over again).....

As soon as you figured out you were moving to FL you should have applied for the Fl Permit (as a resident of AZ.). The permit would have been issued with your AZ address on it.

When you physically moved to FL all you would need to do is put in a change of address to your new FL address. There would have been no lapse in coverage.

I'd get Florida to stay legal as a resident.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

You guys are a bit off target.
    An out-of-state permit is accepted as valid for up to 90 days after you "become a resident".
    Even without a permit, it is legal to carry a (loaded) firearm in your auto - you simply have to keep it in a closed container (center console is fine, and it does NOT have to be locked.)

Using the electronic prints method, I received my permit in about 12 days in January of 2005.

And finally - there is no such think as a non-resident permit in FL. There are simply people with FL permits who don't live in FL. Apply as soon as you want, but be sure to have your mail forwarded if you are in the process of relocating when you submit.

Welcome to the Gunshine State, Check out www.floridashootersnetwork.co .
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links