I got called a "scared little rabbit' today......

This is a discussion on I got called a "scared little rabbit' today...... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ....by my somewhat anti-gun friend ;-) I thought that was pretty original, although I am starting to wonder about him after our conversation earlier today. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

....by my somewhat anti-gun friend ;-)

I thought that was pretty original, although I am starting to wonder about him after our conversation earlier today.

He's of the opinion that I've become a gun-toting wacko since receiving my carry permit, for a few different reasons:

- I think ankle holsters are a bad idea if you're only carrying one gun, since you won't be able to get to it fast enough if you need it (he says you'll have plenty of time to draw from an ankle holster, since you'll never need to present your weapon in a hurry in the real world).

- I'm sending my XD45 back to Springfield to get JHP feeding issues resolved, even though it hasn't hiccupped in the last 400-500 rounds (he says one or two .45 FMJ rounds will be enough to stop any threat, so it's no big deal if the gun jams, and that I don't need JHPs anyway since it's a .45).

- I carry a total of 35 rounds....Glock 17 hot-chambered + spare mag in my pocket (he says if he were carrying a Colt 1911 .45 loaded with seven FMJ rounds, and he were confronted by six BGs, he would be able to incapicate the six with one shot each, and still have one round to spare).

He also thinks that everyone who isn't an idiot should be allowed to own a gun......but thinks most people are idiots ;-)

I have told him about everything I've seen, heard, and read about ballistics, real world shooting scenarios, and so on, but he just dismisses it as 'internet garbage' and tells me I'm gullible and will believe anything I see online. Thoughts?
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    To sum it up, your friend is a fool.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Don't waste your breath with these types. Let him go on thinking what he thinks if he is going to be this insistent.

If you are like me and see arguing with idiots as a source of self entertainment, then ask him to provide evidence to support his statements. If he does, I'd bet he gets it from the internet. I bet he'll say it is just common sense though.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

If you're a "scared little rabbit", what does that make me?

Not having met your friend, and if what you say is true, I don't care to meet your friend and think he is a waste of human protoplasm that is wasting oxygen.

In short, your friend is the fool.

Biker

It's not easy to be friends with such a total imbecile is it?

If anything, you are the mature adult because you have taken responsibility for your own personal security. This doofus is just like the people in the brinks commercial who will be hiding behind a door scared to death and peeing down his leg when someone breaks a window downstairs at 3 am.

If you continue to associate with such a silly person, people might think youre just like him. Just think about that.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

I bet you are a scared little rabbit like me!

Every see the movie "The Holy Grail"?

Yup, a little white bunny,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,with Teeth. LOL.

Who's gonna take care of YOU my friend?

Shouldn't argue with a idiot, you have to lower yourself to thier level and the idiot will beat you with experience every time.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I'd rather go with real experience then this idiot. Don't listen to your friend. Other than movies how often in real life does the BG go down in one shot? Only if one is real lucky, and I don't think one would be that lucky six times in a row, even with lots of practice. Do what you want to do but stay away from the idiots and keep your peice of mind.

TDPalmer

Get a new friend .He is not worth the time.You can't fix stupid.merlin45kout

Let's cut a little slack for the "friend." At least he isn't an anti. He just has his own opinions and as long as he is gun friendly, who cares if he is wrong?

Just look him in the face and say
    "Here's Your Sign!!"

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Let's just say if your friend ever has to learn a few things the hard way you might not want to be around.......
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Let's cut a little slack for the "friend." At least he isn't an anti. He just has his own opinions and as long as he is gun friendly, who cares if he is wrong?
    I agree to a point, but the ignorant (or, to be more charitable, wilfully misinformed) gun owner is as much - if not more - of a threat to our rights than the "standard" anti. When this supposed "gun expert" does something stupid with his firearms, it looks a lot worse than when a criminal does something...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    To sum it up, your friend is a fool.
    Yes.

The "internet" garbage I've seen is comprised of tests published by law enforcement departments, the FBI, ammo manufacturers (taken with a big grain of salt), documentary evidence compiled and published by acknowledged experts in the field (wounds viewed from a surgical perspective, actual ballistic performance in the field, etc).

As for jams not mattering: easy for him to say, as it's your life in the balance if something should happen. All it takes is one, at the wrong time. He knows this, but he apparently values appearing knowledgable or opinionated over being correct. Have him put his hand in his pocket. Tell him to attempt to swat the peanut you're going to lob at his nose, to do it with that pocketed hand, but that the hand must not leave the pocket. Yup. Dang misfeeds will get you every time.

JHP isn't worthwhile, given that it's .45 ACP, eh? Perhaps it'll be enough. Is he willing to bet his life on that, so easily as he appears to be willing to be yours?

As for time to present one's weapon, he should really read about the Tueller drill, as to the ramifications of contact weapons at contact distances being faster than response by drawing and firing a gun. Not from internet garbage sites, but from acknowledged experts on the subject. He should then attend one, lone force-on-force training day. He'll quickly be disabused of his assumptions. While it may not help him from getting harmed, it should at least show his blind faith for what it is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links