Carry cocked? - Page 2

Carry cocked?

This is a discussion on Carry cocked? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The problem with Condition 2 carry is not that the firearm cannot handle it...it's that there is a fallible human factor involved which requires that ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carry cocked?

Administrator

The Problem

The problem with Condition 2 carry is not that the firearm cannot handle it...it's that there is a fallible human factor involved which requires that the operator do everything right in the exact correct sequence every time.
    Making the pistol ready for Condition 2 carry necessitates pulling the trigger with a round in the chamber while preventing the hammer from moving forward. Not always such a great idea & it's just far better to stay in the habit of keeping your finger off of the trigger.

Just to advance the thread.

I have a Star Model Super, SA and a Bolister Molina (I don't know if I spelled that correctly or not :( ). They only have the thumb safety, no grip safety, should they be carried cocked and locked or am I better off with ranking the slide?

Now, with the HK and the Kimber, I've put in blanks and "thrown" the gun down, around, etc.. and no "bang". I had some blanks made for the Model super, only a thumb safety, and no bang.

Quite honestly, I trust my guns, the safeties on my guns, a lot more then I trust turning the key on the engine of a car/truck (oh, my 1981 GMC blew the other day... that was a surprise).

What I'm wondering is that I won't pull the hammer back on my .45LC (Ruger) and carry it that way but it doesn't have a safety, or a dual safety (grip and thumb), so it wouldn't be prudent to carry it that way.

Wayne

I just recently (within the past week) recieved my CCW, up until that point when I carried it had to be open. Since the only open carry holster I own is a Yaqui slide I wasn't too comfortable with the idea of carrying cocked and locked, so I was going around on condition three. Now that I can carry concealled it's condition one all the time.

A1C Lickey

Administrator

The Grip Safety

The only function of the grip safety is to physically block the trigger from moving rearward until the pistol is in hand.
    I guess if a pistol has a beavertail type grip safety it might also serve to prevent the hammer from getting slammed too hard if you dropped your pistol on some concrete. The beavertail "might" take the brunt of the blow.
    Back in the 50s & 60s & up to about the mid 70s ??? ~ the Colt Grip Safety was sometimes pinned down (as a custom modification) so that it stayed (depressed) in the DEPRESSED/OFF position.
    A hole was drilled in the top of the mainspring housing that mated with a hole drilled in the bottom of the grip safety & then a steel pin was inserted as the mainspring housing was moved up on reassembly of the pistol.
    It was not a real popular modification but it sure was done on some custom pistols. Some shooters (and obviously some gun makers) considered the Grip Safety to be a redundant safety feature that served no real useful purpose. It does not bother me being there on the pistol since it always works & goes down when I grip my guns...so I'm neutral on it being there.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    New to 1911's - I have had a Ruger P94 for years. Can't carry it cocked and locked. If engage safety it doubles as a decocker. First shot (if you don't cock first) is DA then SA thereafter - unless engage safety again then decocks.
    Other carry has been .38 snubby WO hammer to cock - hammer is there but smoothed down flush with frame ( DAO ).
    When I got the Colt Defender 1911 .45 it took a while reading this and other forums and some thinking before I was compfortable with it cocked and locked.
    Now that I have a better understanding about it (and reading in instruction book) I find I feel cocked and locked is the only way to carry. If not cocked then none in the chamber.
    For God, Family and Country!

DC Founder
    I always carry my 1911 cocked and locked, as intended.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

QKShooter, thanks for the info about lowering the hammer on a 1911. I wasn't aware of those safety features.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    Then in all honesty you probably shouldn't own the gun.

For decades, folks successfully lowered the hammer on Colt SAAs and their ilk without blowing up the farm. The 1911 is no different.
    Wow - so I should sell my 1911 because I don't want to lower the hammer on a live round? I see no reason to lower the hammer on a loaded chamber on my 1911; if I'm carrying it, it will be cocked & locked. If I'm putting it away, it will be unloaded. If I want to lower the hammer, I always drop the mag and unload the chamber first.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Guess I'm alone.
    I carry at condition 0 and have for 40 years. Never had a AD or ND.
    Hey., that's just like a Glock!!

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Halfcock notch, the way it was designed.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Thanks for the input, looks like alot of 1911 guys here! I just purchased a Kahr P40, and like the Glock, there's no hammer of safety. I just want to make sure I'm not crazy if I carry with one in the chamber. The pistol has a pretty long pull on the trigger so I couldn't imagine having an AD.

Another vote for Cocked and Locked. It's how I carry my Browning Hi-Power and the way it and the 1911 were designed to be carried.

As to other being "nervous" if they see my cocked and locked BHP in my holster? Well, ignorance on their part is not a reason for me to compromise the use of my safety equipment.

My only experiece with double action is with revolvers, as I personally believe that double action automatics are attempts to provided a hardware solution to a training problem.
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman
    Halfcock notch, the way it was designed.
    Ya almost got me with that one!
    You should put a smiley or something in your post when you're joking.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by sarhog; August 24th, 2005 at 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DirksterG30
    Wow - so I should sell my 1911 because I don't want to lower the hammer on a live round?
    Not if you don't want to- but if you can't.

The horror stories of dropping a hammer are greatly exaggerated, as anyone who has ever owned a single action revolver can tell you.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

If your refering to a SA wheel gun you don't carry cocked. I have a old Ruger and I carry Hammer down on a empty cyl. I belive all the new cowboy guns can safely be carried hammer down.but you don't walk around with them cocked. As to condition 2 with a 45 auto It was a accepted means of carry years ago. People knew how to safely lower hammer and could draw and cock very quickley. Its only been last 30 years that this C&L ONLY way started. I have a Gun Mag from early 80's the explains how to lower hammer safely for carry or drawer. Since most new 45's have those silly little hammers instead or orginal govt spur type you are forced to carry C&L as they don't thumb cock very well.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

Cocked and locked all the way here,just doesn't make sense not to carry a 1911 style pistol in condition one.You may have only a few seconds to react and I would not want to be fumbling around with the hammer when the adrenaline is flowing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links