Carry cocked? - Page 4

Carry cocked?

This is a discussion on Carry cocked? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I am carrying a 1911 style weapon,cocked and locked is the way to go. Between the grip saftey and the manual thumb saftey it ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Carry cocked?

When I am carrying a 1911 style weapon,cocked and locked is the way to go. Between the grip saftey and the manual thumb saftey it is perfectly safe to carry in this fashion. As with all weapons, that you plan on using, you need to practice the manual of arms for that particular pistol.
    Shoot well and be safe

-Don

"The trouble with our liberal friends are not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

I am new to carrying and just got a XD that has trigger and grip safety but is single action. I was nervous about carying this with one in the chamber since it is cocked when you rack the slide and no hammer ( I know this was redundant for many of you). However, I took some advice I read on this forum somewhere and cocked the pistol on an empty chamber and carried it for 2 weeks. One week of which was during vacation so it got carried under many circumstances, getting in/out of car, manuevering through restaraunts, lobbies and stores as well. It NEVER discharged during that 'test' so I now carry it 'cocked and loaded' and trust the safety features of the weapon, within the safe operating limits.
    Thanks to everyone here that helped me to get over my nervousness. I now can carry confidently in the most effective manner, ready for work.
    Last edited by XD40; September 29th, 2005 at 12:04 PM. Reason: spelling, again

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    My usual mode of carry is the FIFE style. Revo on right hip situated down close to my knee on some type of old,swiveling holster. Unloaded. Single rd of ammo in top right shirt pocket. In panic situation,open revo with both hands. With the thumb and index finger of the left hand,unbutton shirt pocket,dig down deep in pocket for ammo,(don't bother to rebutton shirt),load the single rd and try some way to index the rd. On a S&W does the cylinder turn CW or CCW when the hammer is cocked?? Forgot/don't know so will aim at the BG and start pulling the trigger(doub act) until the round fires. If a clean miss the BG will not be able to use my weapon against me because there will be no more ammo.(Hope he isn't by chance carring a pocket full of .38 Spec.-------

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    My usual mode of carry is the FIFE style. Revo on right hip situated down close to my knee on some type of old,swiveling holster. Unloaded. Single rd of ammo in top right shirt pocket. In panic situation,open revo with both hands. With the thumb and index finger of the left hand,unbutton shirt pocket,dig down deep in pocket for ammo,(don't bother to rebutton shirt),load the single rd and try some way to index the rd. On a S&W does the cylinder turn CW or CCW when the hammer is cocked?? Forgot/don't know so will aim at the BG and start pulling the trigger(doub act) until the round fires. If a clean miss the BG will not be able to use my weapon against me because there will be no more ammo.(Hope he isn't by chance carring a pocket full of .38 Spec.-------
    Man, I just spit Dr. Pepper all over my keyboard with the mental image that brought up!! Shows my age, though; I remember Tha Deppity doing this a coupla episodes

Steve
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Steve, If ol' Barn would have had a Glock17,and a couple of extra mags, the people of Mayberry, and as far away as Mt. Pilot, would not have been safe.------

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    This whole cocked and locked thing is just unsafe, everyone should send me their 1911 style pistols and I will send you a hand written thank you letter and a air freshner.

Cocked and Locked is the only way to fly

God Bless you JMB, you will always be in my little world.

VIP Member
    Firearm safety rule #11: Never trust a monkey with your firearm.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp
    Firearm safety rule #11: Never trust a monkey with your firearm.
    True, but it's OK to trust an ape.

If I had a 1911, I would carry it cocked and locked. I carry a Glock 21, with 1 in the pipe, to approximate C&L as closely as possible.

Of Course

1911 Cocked and Locked. Is there any other way?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links