Carry cocked?

Carry cocked?

This is a discussion on Carry cocked? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm curious how you all carry. Cocked and locked? what about a single action pistol with no ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carry cocked?

Carry cocked?

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm curious how you all carry. Cocked and locked? what about a single action pistol with no safety? Still carry cocked? It makes most sense to carry cocked, if the pistol is needed, chances are every split second counts. I like to practice cocking my pistol as I draw it. I can have it cocked by the time I bring it up to eye level. What are your thoughts on this important part of concealed carry?

cocked & locked

I carry a Kimber Tactical Pro II cocked and locked. For me, it would be silly to carry any other way.
    I would never carry (a 1911 style pistol) with the hammer down on a loaded chamber, it has no advantages over condition one, only disadvantages.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

I agree, with any type of 1911 or clone, that is the way they were meant to be carried.

About the only one that I can think of (and I bet their are many more but I don't have that knowledge at hand) is the USP which can be carried cocked and locked or hammer down (maybe the CZ also?).

Wayne

I carry my Springfield Champion 1911 cocked & locked (aka Condition One). If you have some variant of a 1911, it was designed to be carried this way. I think it is a bad idea to carry with the hammer down on a 1911 - what if your thumb slips while cocking the hammer? One some 1911's, the hammer will hit the firing pin and ... you've just had an ND. Even if your gun has a half-cock notch (which should prevent this), don't bet that you can use fine-motor skills to cock the hammer if you are in a self-defense situation. Fine motor skills go out the window when we are under extreme stress.

If you're not comfortable carrying Condition One, try carrying it around the house unloaded for a few days with the hammer back and the safety on. You'll see that there is nothing to it.

As far as single-action pistols without a safety, the only ones I'm aware of are the old single-action revolvers.

Assistant Administrator
    Certainly with 1911 condition #1 is way to go. I did carry my BHP for a while thusly but - while detent on safety was good and positive - I did feel a tad disadvantaged compared with 1911 - simply cos no grip safety as another safety measure.

I carry SIG 226 these days so condition #2 really - but no slower to bring in to play - just the minor variance thru that first DA pull.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I primarily carry a Kahr Arms P9 cocked. It's a DAO gun. When I carry my Springfield 1911 A1 it is cocked and locked. It's the only way to fly as far as I am concerned.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

what if your thumb slips while cocking the hammer?
    Then in all honesty you probably shouldn't own the gun.

For decades, folks successfully lowered the hammer on Colt SAAs and their ilk without blowing up the farm. The 1911 is no different.

I don't carry one any more, having chosen to eliminate a step altogether in my draw and gone with my Sigs.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis
    what about a single action pistol with no safety? Still carry cocked?
    Yowza! I don't think we have many Darwin candidates here . Carrying an S/A cocked, no-safety will earn you the knick-name "Hop-a-long" or "DRT" in short order.

S/A autos should (in my opinion) be carried cocked & locked. Sigs for an ultra-smooth DA, Glock for striker-fired, P-7 for the High-tech, all other C&L.

Cocked and locked for sure only way.. I love my 1911's

Thumbs down Carry a revolver cocked?

Quote Originally Posted by Otis
    I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm curious how you all carry. Cocked and locked? what about a single action pistol with no safety? Still carry cocked? It makes most sense to carry cocked, if the pistol is needed, chances are every split second counts. I like to practice cocking my pistol as I draw it. I can have it cocked by the time I bring it up to eye level. What are your thoughts on this important part of concealed carry?
    Whenever I DO carry a 1911, it's always cocked and locked. When I carry a Glock, it too is cocked but the safety arrangement is different. When I carry a Sig Sauer, it's just like carrying a revolver: No external safety, but hammer down on a loaded chamber, first shot is DA all successive shots are SA with a slightly lighter pull. NEVER EVER carry a REVOLVER (either SA or DA) COCKED!!!! Do not cock the hammer on a revolver as you draw it unless it's a SA and why would you want to immitate Doc Holiday anyway? Get used to shooting a revolver the way it was meant to be fired for combat in the Double Action mode.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Condition One with my 1911 types. (Colts, Springers, AMT, etc) Condition One with my Detonics pistols, even though they have no grip safety. I'm very comfy with these weapons. Full mag and round in the chamber on the others single action Glocks and D/A (Glock, H&K, Sig, S&W Etc) S/A wheelies are carried, depending if they have the transfer bar system, quite possible on an empty chamber, should they be of old vintage.
    Learning that every milli-second counts, especially when your life is on the line, makes a whole world of difference in your mindset.
    Practice is the key word here, and knowing your weapon, and YOUR limitations is also key factor.

I was a little hesitant to carry my 1911 in condition one. A friend suggested a strategy. Empty the gun, cock it, and lock it. Throw it in a backpack with your books (or whatever). Carry it around for a few weeks with all of the jostling, getting stuff in and out, throwing it here and there. At the end of a few weeks, take it out and it will, of course, still be cocked and probably with the safety still on.

I didn't try the exercise, but I see the point. When you think about it, it is an ultra-safe way to carry a gun and very available when you need it to be. The only problem is that while you get used to it, some folk still get a little nervous when you put a cocked gun into your holster.

Administrator

I (of course) carry my 1911s Cocked and Locked.
    It should be noted as a matter of historical record that the U.S. military wanted the original style Colt hammer (on the first submitted Colt semi~auto) to be redesigned especially so that it could be Thumb Cocked and it was redesigned for that express purpose on the 1911.
    Times have changed and so has the hammer design and so have the general shooter safety rules and regs.
    Just to comment on the previous question: "What if your thumb slips?"
    The hammer will get caught by the sear on the hammer half or safety notch before the hammer contacts the firing pin on a properly functioning 1911 pistol. With high quality & properly fit factory parts the sear will not break & neither will the hammer notch.
    In addition on the Series 80 pistols the added firing pin block will not allow the firing pin to move forward unless the trigger is pulled rearward to raise the lever that lifts the Firing Pin Block "up & off block"
    That being said: I still believe the best way to carry the 1911 style pistols is cocked & locked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    If I had a 1911 I would carry cocked and locked. As it is , the USP can be carryed c-n-l. However , I carry hammer down , for a longer first shot trigger pull.

Now I will admit my 1911 has been locked in the box for a while with CLP on it, but when I do carry it is cocked and locked. My SW 37 is just to easy to carry. I will dust the 1911 off this week end though. PS Just the feel of old slab sides in my hand almost causes my toes to curl.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links