CCW and driving habits.

This is a discussion on CCW and driving habits. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had my CCW for about 1 year now and I have noticed that my driving habits have changed for the better. I guess ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW and driving habits.

CCW and driving habits.

I have had my CCW for about 1 year now and I have noticed that my driving habits have changed for the better. I guess I am more aware of my speed and my surroudings. My guess is that I prefer not to interact with LE while I carry. I am weary of some freaked out LEO when I notify him/her of my situation.
    Anyone else?

2. Remove Ads

I guess I'm just getting old and ornery enough I'm just careful most of the time. I try to avoid attention, from LEO and others, anyway.

I've gotten to be the same way.. I've also noticed that I'm a lot less likely to get pissed off when someone does something stupid.

I think that what y'all are describing is called "maturity".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jongle View Post
    I think that what y'all are describing is called "maturity".
    That is it.

All the above +1

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Yep, no more giving the one fingered salute in traffic. You must maintain peace and calm at all times Grasshopper!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I agree with the maturity bit. I'm 52 and and have absolutely no concerns about being stopped while carrying. If I am stopped and its required I will inform the officer that I have a "firearm" and a "license to carry". I specifically use the term firearm to let him know that I don't have a "GUN" which may cause his partner to get a little excited.

If I am not required to inform an officer I don't. Its as simple as that. I think as we age many of us lose a little ego and are easier to get along with society by choosing our battles much more wisely. At least that's in my case and it took more that a decade to get there.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by helitech View Post
    I have had my CCW for about 1 year now and I have noticed that my driving habits have changed for the better. I guess I am more aware of my speed and my surroudings.
    Yep, no hand signals to idiot drivers anymore. Not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by helitech View Post
    My guess is that I prefer not to interact with LE while I carry. I am weary of some freaked out LEO when I notify him/her of my situation. Anyone else?
    I'm not worried about it. I've been pulled over several times. Hands on the wheel, dome light on, radio off, DL & CHL in hand, inform officer = no problems.

As a side note, there was a good segment on Personal Defense TV the other day about getting pulled over. Massad Ayoob had a scenario where he pulled over a motorist (Tom Gresham, host of show). Mas suggested to tell the officer you have a concealed handgun license & are carrying. He made a point to NOT say "I have a gun", because at that point the officer would say "me too!" as he was pointing it at you.

Sorry about the partial hijack.

I learned not to flip people off while driving (not that I was prone to it before) while in the magikal kingdom where it is punishable by removal of the offending appendage by the justice system But I also see that I drive a little more carefully now, for whatever reason, although I am still pretty agressive by nature - all that training is just how I drive nowdays. Not bad, just proactively.

I just think we all assume a higher level of awaredness when we get that license.

Helitech,

I noticed that you are from Arizona. There is no requirement in Arizona to notify LEO that you carry (unless asked, of course).

FD
    ------------------------------>
    Shoot Straight

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Agreed,..I've always been extremely courteous,..(ya know,wave when someone lets you in,let others in and wave/smile at them,stop for grandma crossing the parking lot into walmart, always ALWAYS use blinker) but I don't speed as much and etc,...Definitely don't brake check tailgaters like I used to,lol. I'm still rather aggressive when it comes to corners :)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I'll also bet that DUIs have gone down in states that have CCW. I know I don't drink away from home because I don't want to hear "Sir could you step out of the car". I'm pretty sure no isn't going to be their favorite answer from me.

Administrator
    It would be a lot easier for me to drive nicely if people would get out of my way.

I like the corners and curves too, a 6 spd, AWD and a turbo makes them a whole lot more fun.

The gun doesnt mean squat to me when it comes to driving... I was never out there to get into road rage with some numbskull anyway. Egos have no place on the road or range.
    I'm driving with a purpose... to get somewhere reasonably quick and alive.
    Same theory applies to my driving habits and pistol craft... have a superior machine, superior skills to match the machine and plenty of power. Those things get me home safe every night.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links