What would knock a BG out? - Page 2

What would knock a BG out?

This is a discussion on What would knock a BG out? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tns0038 Well…………………….. I was thinking more along the lines of two or three, thus leaving a few in the clip just in ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would knock a BG out?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Well……………………..

I was thinking more along the lines of two or three, thus leaving a few in the clip just in case the BG had some buddy’s that wanted some.
    Thats what mag number two is for

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Thats what mag number two is for
    Ahhhhh good laugh

Administrator
    There is no answer, other than the one you dont want. Nothing is going to be 100% sure to save your behind other than a good CNS hit.

Assuming we are talking about normal carry gun calibers, any of the good ones can do it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Well, if you want to stop the BG instantly from the front without any reflexive response action then your projectile must crash through to hit the brain stem.
    You have to hit the apricot.
    From behind - a solid hit to the center base of the skull with a .380 would do it but, it's a small target.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The Taurus JUDGE in .410 at close range should do the trick.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

Senior Moderator
    4 pound sledge hammer to the top of the skull.

Never count on one shot no matter what caliber (handgun)
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Given one shot to incapacitate the BG. Ya'll must remember, if it's during a close hand to hand encounter, ya'll probably won't have the opportunity to place the shot where ya want. It'll probably be a quick one, placed wherever ya can put it. Given, that scenerio, I think anything from a 9mm on up in size, will definitely get the BG's attention, long enough to put the second shot where it'll do the most good.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    When I worked for the feds, I use to go to the range with an FBI sharp shooter.

In theory a shot right between the eye with a 308 rifle, should stop any finger movement, and that’s what they train to shoot.
    I'd have to disagree with that. Physiologically, the only damage that can cause complete shutdown of the body, without even involuntary muscle reflex to squeeze a trigger, is the destruction of the brainstem. That's about the size of your thumb and it starts at the bottom of the brain (about on the same level as the earlobes and nostrils) and points straight down into the spine. The top part of the brain is all higher functions, like personality and cognition.

In Gunny Hathcock's biography, there is a passage describing an NVA soldier hit with a sniper round (probably .308) in the forehead; blew the top of the guy's head off, and yet the NVA staggered some thirty feet, AK trigger squeezed the whole way, until he went down.

A true, guaranteeable one-stop shot is possible, but incredibly difficult. If the gun is to my head, I'd probably try to knock the barrel away first. Old Sarge has a great point about where you could shoot from that close. If it was that hard to aim for something specific, I'd probably go for a downward shot, hoping to shatter the pelvis and at leeast drop the BG to the ground, if there was no way to get a good head shot.

Empty your mag if the threat is still there.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

No... No... No...

You're all wrong.

The only way to ensure the BG goes down in the first hit, is to employ a roundhouse kick delivered by Chuck Norris.

The problem with that, Chuck Norris doesn't fit in your pocket and is liable to do great bodily harm to you if you try and put him in your pocket.

So I guess the next best option is to shoot until he drops. As many others have pointed out, there's no way to assure anything. I also think it's a misnomer to believe that a shot to the brain stem will necessarily stop someone. The whole thing is a big old crap shoot. You could get lucky.

IMO you shouldn't rely on shooting them. You need to do something to get their gun away from your melon and vitals at the same time.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Seems like I've heard a few stories of soldiers surviving being hit by rocket-propelled grenades that didn't explode. I'm sure that made for a stressful surgery. Those things are much bigger than any handgun bullet available. So if you can’t guarantee a kill with an unexploded RPG round, I can’t see how any pistol round could be more effective. However, if you shot your assailant with an RPG round that did explode on contact, he probably wouldn’t move much. At least, not much after he finished landing.

The self-defense version of the Trunk Monkey is guaranteed to provide instant incapacitation of all BG's...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    I'd have to disagree with that. Physiologically, the only damage that can cause complete shutdown of the body, without even involuntary muscle reflex to squeeze a trigger, is the destruction of the brainstem. That's about the size of your thumb and it starts at the bottom of the brain (about on the same level as the earlobes and nostrils) and points straight down into the spine.
    So, true no argument from me. Since I don’t know all that anatomies stuff, I just said between the eyes, not forehead…

A 308 with Ballistic tip 150 gr. bullets will create a large trauma path that will include the brain stem.

.460xvr

Now .. they may have changed things since I was in but the Corps told us, lacking a frontal shot, place one right behind his ear - going for the brain stem. Not as much material and with any luck the shock wave would break the neck. But that was with a M-14, not one of these new fangled black thingies. But a pistol... good luck with that scenario.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links