What would knock a BG out?

This is a discussion on What would knock a BG out? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This kind of stems from the thread about the .380 and how I said I'd pick one round of a .45ACP over five of a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would knock a BG out?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

This kind of stems from the thread about the .380 and how I said I'd pick one round of a .45ACP over five of a .380 any day. My question is if you need to drop someone quickly and incapacitate them so they don't have the opportunity to shoot back, what would you need to do that? Everyone one says a well placed shot will stop anyone, and I understand that, but if it were a close quarter situation, gun to your head and you had one shot to knock the BG over to the point where he isn't getting up and shoot back, what would you use?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    With a gun to your head, any shot to the BG might cause a voluntary or involuntary reaction of him pulling the trigger anyway. In answering the question and trying to stay within the realm of handgun calibers, there are some .44 mags that are "small" enough to "conceal" in some way. Dirty Harry and Hollywood aside, it is a pretty devastating round.

IIRC someone make a derringer that shoots .410.

I don't carry either of the above weapons and am only offering this as an answer to the scenario.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

50 cal...or 12 guage shotgun.
    Nothing is going to provide an instant, one-shot stop. It's just not going to happen. This has been discussed in about 5,000 threads since December when I joined. There is no, I repeat, no handgun caliber that is guaranteed or even likely to provide a one shot stop. Especially, in the circumstances you are describing.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    This kind of stems from the thread about the .380 and how I said I'd pick one round of a .45ACP over five of a .380 any day. My question is if you need to drop someone quickly and incapacitate them so they don't have the opportunity to shoot back, what would you need to do that?
    The only firearm I know of that would possibly do that is a .50 BMG!

Edit: BerneyG beat me to the draw!
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Everyone one says a well placed shot will stop anyone ...
    Everyone ... nobody ... can't ... always ... never. Those are words you should erase from your thinking, in the area of self-defense. If history is any teacher, it shows that, in time, most anything can happen.

Keep in mind that many folks have come to believe that one should drop to the ground if one gets cut or shot or whatever. That need not be the only response. Each year, we hear of situtations where it took a number of bullets or blows to bring down a violent offender.

I, for one, disbelieve that my concept of good placement will be spot-on at the instant it's needed. While I might hope for that, I won't ever blindly rely on that.

I believe that would most accurately be described as however many well-placed rounds or blows that the specific situation requires, until the threat is eliminated. When will that be? Who's to say?

That said ... If I were down to one shot and had to make it count, what would I want in my hands? The "biggest friggin' cannon" that I could manage would just about do. I suppose that would be a short 12ga shotgun with #00 buck. The ol' 10ga shotty from my childhood would just about do, if I could pry it out of the hands of my cousins, who are probably still laughing over how they introduced me to that bad boy. But then, I suppose a shotty's cheating. That's multiple rounds. So: a solid .44mag from a 4" Ruger would just about do, for me. I'd still be fairly concerned that the shot would be somewhat off-target, failing in that magical one-stop shot, 'cause I don't believe in fairies or fairie-tale endings. I'm armed with what I feel to be my best option: a reliable, well-balanced 9mm with reasonable capacity.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; January 25th, 2008 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

One shot and he's gotta be out.......

.........the biggest friggin' cannon I can get my hands on. .44mag, .454 Cassull, .500 S&W......and even then, I'm not ready to say "always". Just too many variables.....

Let's face it though, the question really is mute when it comes to ccw. If we're talking calibers that I'd be able to reasonably cc.....I'm going with a .45acp. If I only had one......

45 ACP. It is most likely within my reach.

When I worked for the feds, I use to go to the range with an FBI sharp shooter.

In theory a shot right between the eye with a 308 rifle, should stop any finger movement, and that’s what they train to shoot.

As to a pistol… NOPE… not going to happen.

We trained by using our weak hand to grab and redirect the BG firearm, and then shoot he BG multi times, while still holding on to the BG firearm.

Selecting the Duty Weapon--Is Caliber the Key?
    Best column I’ve found on handgun caliber ranking. It’s not one of those foot pounds or energy test. It’s a column by a police officer who did a study on actual police shootings.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    So basically I would have to empty my mag of all rounds in order to make sure he was no longer a threat?

So basically I would have to empty my mag of all rounds in order to make sure he was no longer a threat?
    You can't make sure...you can only do your best. Weird things happen. There are numerous accounts of people getting shot 10+ times who were still able to return fire and kill their attacker. There are also numerous accounts where one shot dropped the attacker cold. Train, aim, do your best... and pray.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Well……………………..

I was thinking more along the lines of two or three, thus leaving a few in the clip just in case the BG had some buddy’s that wanted some.

Practice double taps with .45ACP...about the best one could hope for
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Any of the generally accepted CCW rounds will do so if placed properly. If the BG is facing you the area will be a triangle formed by the eyes down to the tip of the nose, if from the rear, it is around the small "bump" in the back of your skull. Side shots to the area behind the ear will do it. I forget what they call the part of the brain that we are aiming for--it doesnt matter what it is called. It is about the size of an apricot and if disrupted it will cause instant death. Caliber would have little to do with it. Anything that will reliably penetrate the skull will kill quickly if placed in the right part of the braiAnswer: A shot to the "Apricot".

A JHP filled with HE & impact detonator? I'd say a grapefruit sized hole in the torso outta' do.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

If you still see "taget" in front of you. If not, time to watch for buddies & make sure the object of your attention isn't trying to get a last plug in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links