Kentucky 18-21 year old Car Carry?

This is a discussion on Kentucky 18-21 year old Car Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that you have to be 21 years old (among other things) to get a CCW in KY. I was wondering if someone that ...

I know that you have to be 21 years old (among other things) to get a CCW in KY.

I was wondering if someone that was 18 years old could still have a weapon in the glove compartment and not get in trouble with it.

The reason I ask is that I have a relative who is 18 (very responsible and a good shot too) who may end up traveling alone at some late hours in a car that may be less than reliable. I wouldn't consider this for most 18 year olds but the maturity level is there.

Does anyone know if he could legally carry in the glovebox until he is old enough for his CCW?

Thanks!

not a good idea in Michigan

In Michigan it would be illegal and something he would have to live with for the rest of his life on every job application...ever been arrested? Yep he would have to write. Not a good thing to have in your background as it would also affect him if he ever wants to serve in our armed service or many other jobs. Of course the very best option...don't drive where you are going to be in trouble.

Has he considered carrying a softball bat, glove and some balls in the back seat. If he needs to use the bat he can always say it was in there getting ready for ball season and goes to the batting cage now and then. It helps to have a couple receipts from practice also.

VIP Member
    I was just looking for the same thing the other day. You can open carry in Ky at 18. Not sure beyond that..Sounds like in the glove box would be ok, but don't take my word for it.. Need more research.. The link below may help....

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Kentucky

yes, you can have a gun in your glovebox, just not anywhere else.

the way I understand ky law you have to be 21 to own a handgun in ky 18 you can have a long gun in back window or behind the seat loaded in a truck but not sure about a car .I think a hand gun in the glove box would be a bad idea if you are under 21. Call the state police post and ask them then call another post and ask then call your local police and ask if they all say the same thing you might be alright. They may or may not know the law but they are going to enforce what they THINK is the law. so start by finding out what they think is the law Commonwealth of Kentucky may have your answer

VIP Member
    You do not have to be 21 to OWN a handgun in Ky, you have to 21 to BUY a handgun. I just talked to the state police. He said an 18 year old CAN carry in the glove box or in open view in a car. If the gun is in open view , it can not be within immediate reach. The immediate reach of course can be determined by each officer, thus may differ. Not a good idea. He recommended the golve box.
    He also said to BE SURE if pulled over, the first thing out of his ( or hers ) mouth is to notify the officer that the gun is there.
    Going back to an old arguement on here. He recommended even with a ccw permit, even tho by law you dont have to notify, he highly recommended it. I agreed.

Links