insurance and 'gun-free zones'

This is a discussion on insurance and 'gun-free zones' within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know if private business owners get some kind of insurance break for posting a gun-free zone sign? After doing business with the College ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: insurance and 'gun-free zones'

Does anyone know if private business owners get some kind of insurance break for posting a gun-free zone sign?

After doing business with the College Book Rack (Jacksonville, FL on Beach Blvd and St. Johns), for several months, I just noticed the sign. The sign is so far out of the way (bottom pane of glass about 15 feet from the nearest door) that I seriously doubt it's meant to make sheeple feel safer since they would never notice.

It's the only logical explanation I can think of as to why they would put it so far out of the way.

I'm not sure. But, if you work at an area with a gun free zone, parking lot included, and a car jacker shoots you on the way to work, is the company's insurance liable? It is because of there, feel good rule that you couldn't have a firearm with you since you work there. Just wondering how it would work out.
    Obama used "hope" and "change" to win the presidency.... Benjamin Franklin wrote in Poor Richard's Almanac, "He that lives upon Hope will die fasting." On change, John Adams wrote, "A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."

Wink

I can't imagine why they bother to post it.
    If they are an official part of hte school, firearms are forbidden, as I recall.

If they are simply trying to ban firearms, they're wasting their effort - FL doesn't give any significance to signs.

I have never heard of any legal challenges, but it has always mystified me that the NRA and organizations like it have never turned to this avenue to bring attention to this.. After all, why not turn the same scumbag lawyers loose on a business owner that disarms its patrons, yet fails to provide adequate security after they have disarmed you. if you think about it, people can sue and get compensation if they fall down the stairs in a shopping mall and hurt themselves, why not for being murdered while disarmed??
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Generally you cannot sue unless someone has an obligation to protect you. As SCOTUS and varying levels of the judicial branch below them have generally found, you are obligated to protect yourself unless someone assures you they will protect you. For example, a woman rented a spot in a garage that was advertised as "secured" and "state of the art". She was raped one night on the way to her car. The property owner actually had about two dozen fake cameras and only three or four live cameras, as well as a guard who patrolled intermittently. She won her suit because of the assurances they had inadvertently made. In the case of the mall, they are prohibiting firearms. They are not assuring you that they will keep you safe.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

would a guard check in, and card sliders lead you to assume that you place of work is deemed "Secure" even though the guards do not have firearms?

VIP Member
    Probably not

well. not to me either. I was thinking from the businesses point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by *SA-XD4ME* View Post
    well. not to me either. I was thinking from the businesses point of view.
    The primary business function of a Security Guard is to reduce liability insurance.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

therefore taking responsibility for your security from the "Security" Guard?

The sign is there to avoid responsibility regardless of what transpires...

Bad Guy comes in and shoots someone: "Not our fault, we had a sign."

Good Guy with CWP but without his firearm is shot: "Not our fault, we had a sign. Good Guy could have legally carried his weapon despite our sign so it was his choice to be disarmed and we are not liable."

Good Guy with CWP returns fire and accidentally hits an innocent bystander: "Not our fault, we had a sign."

Good Guy with CWP returns fire and stops the bad guy: "No Comment." Sign is nowhere to be found the following day.

therefore taking responsibility for your security from the "Security" Guard?
    No.

Unless you get the Security Guard to tell you that they'll protect you, they are not obligated to protect you. Just like the Police.

In the example I gave, the property owner provided assurances by stating that the facility was secure.

they are not obligated to protect you. Just like the Police
    ???

???

The Police have no legal obligation to protect you, only the community at large.

If you'd like to read about some examples selected from actual cases in all 50 States, check out: Dial 911 and Die by Richard Stevens.

Maybe there are some officers on here that will back that up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links