8 weeks to the day for permit...

This is a discussion on 8 weeks to the day for permit... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello group. I have been lurking for the last 8 weeks waiting for my permit in CT. Did not have many questions so never participated ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 weeks to the day for permit...

Red face 8 weeks to the day for permit...

Hello group.

I have been lurking for the last 8 weeks waiting for my permit in CT. Did not have many questions so never participated but learned lots. Thanks!

Well I had been keeping track of the days but did not imagine it would be as accuate as it was. I think they have to respond by 8 weeks but never believed it to be the case.

About half way trhough the wait I could not resist putting a Sig p232 sl on layaway. It was second hand but never shot. For $550. that is good for this area. The wait got even more painful. I would go regularly to make a payment just to see her. Once paid off it was even more painful not to have a reason to go. I would just go and ask if I could see my "little friend"

So 8 weeks to the day I get the call from the police. I though it was an all to common call telling me my shop had been broken into. But no. A nice suprise. They called at 8:00 am and I got the temp. permit from them and headed to the state police by 8:30 am. By 9:00 I had the permit and by 10:00 my Little Friend.

My real question is as follows...

I have bought two IWB holsters already and dont like them. One is a Mikes soft synthetic type but rides to high. The other is a Desantis with retention strap and thumb break. Now the Desantis is really what I want to work but it is a real thing in there. I mean to much bulk and pulls the whole area down.

What i find is just sticking it in my waist band at 4;00 with a 1.5" belt is great. All day with out a notice. I can sit, run, jump, squat, drive, etc and it is stays fast. A little adjustment becaus of t-shirt pull out but is the most comfortable.

Am I crazy for carrying like this??? The double action is long and impossible to (?) to accidentally pull. I do worry that I will forget to decock once I chamber the first round before carrying.

Sorry for the looong post and thanks for any help.

Bob

2. Remove Ads

I carry a 4" springfield XD compact (45 ACP) in a Desantis holster with an extra mag @ the 4 o'clock position. I agree that is the best position to move around without it hurting. I carry one up without a problem or fear that it might go off.

JD
    Administrator
    Where abouts in CT are you?

If you're anywhere near Newington, go to Hoffmans, ask for Paul, tell him about your problems and get some help from him in picking out a good belt to go with that gun and holster.

I bought a BlackHawk Serpa belt there a while back and I think what you need is a good GUN belt, not just an average belt to carry the added weight.

The DeSantis is an OK rig, tons better than the Uncle Mikes SideKick that you probably bought.

Also, while the Desantis is a good rig, you all ready noticed the bulk. There's a ton of good holster makers out there that have good products, especially for a Sig 232, get a better IWB and a good belt and you should be all set.

Holster-less carry IMHO is a bad idea, you have zero retention, and if worse comes to worse, your gun could slip down your leg, fall out while answering natures call, fall out at the movie theater...you see where we're going with this.

As far as the not de-cocking thing goes, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE with an empty gun or using snap caps (you can get those at Hoffman's too, or the Newington Gun Exchange should have them.) Every time you drop the slide, you de-cock, every time you go to holster your gun, you de-cock.

Have fun learning your new gun!.

VIP Member
    I would not recommend waistband carry. As JD said retention is almost non existant, and you never know when it moght decide to slide down inside your pants. Another problem is AD, I know you said the pull was long, BUT it can happen. You know, the old Murphy's Law. There are many fine IWB holsters available to you. I personally like the Galco UDC (Ultimate Deep Cover) or the USA (Ultimate Second Amendment) Below is a link to their website.

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

Was 8 weeks to permit now, IWB help

Thanks for the advise.

JD, I live in southern CT about an hour from Hoffmans. My father who carries keeps wanting to take a ride up there. It just happens that we have 5 gun shops in 10 mile radius from us and one is almost as large as Hoffmans. I think Hoffmans would have better prices. But not worth the extra gas.

I think I will look for a "minimal " IWB holster as close to nothing as possible. Just covering the trigger well. Any suggestions?

What is the etequite in a gun store when trying on a holster??? If I take it out to fit I would be afraid of having a lot of guns pointed at me.

Thanks

Bob

Congratulations on your permit, and your new "little friend".

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob2c View Post
    What is the etiquette in a gun store when trying on a holster??? If I take it out to fit I would be afraid of having a lot of guns pointed at me.
    Congratulations on the permit and the new pistol. SIG makes great guns. Every now and then I see a P239 SAS in a store and it is always hard to leave it there. If I ever see one in 9mmP I'll probably take it home.

My suggestion as an answer to your question is to make an appointment ahead of time during an in person visit. Tell them you want to bring your gun to try out some holsters, ask them how they would prefer you do it.

I do not know of a store that would permit trying on holsters with a loaded gun. That would make no sense at all.

I think it is a really bad idea to carry it in there loaded, take it out, and clear it in a store with clerks and customers.

I suspect they will want you to bring it in unloaded in a box, allow them to check it is cleared, then get to the main mission of experimenting with holsters.

If the store has a range, you could carry into the store, go to the range, clear the gun there pointed down range, then bring it back in the store with the slide locked back so they can clear it, then try on holsters.

I would not carry with out a holster. Sooner or later it will lead to grief. It's just a matter of time.

I started carrying IWB with the gun at about 4:00. It felt comfortable, it didn't show in the mirror from the front no matter what I did. But when I turn sideways and look, it always prints when I bend over. It just does, no way around it, on me it prints. It is also quite uncomfortable when sitting in a car.

I experimented off and on for a week trying different positions for the gun. The result is I carry on the strong side hip at 3:00, IWB, in a holster that tilts the gun forward so the end of the grip is over the end of the barrel. That places it so no part of it is printing even under just an untucked T-shirt regardless of how I move. I can stretch my arms up to get something off a store shelf, it doesn't show. I can bend over, it doesn't show. Twist around, lean sideways, it is invisible.

I carry a PPK/S but I can hide a gun as big as a Glock 19 there (holster for my Glock is on order). It's the only place I have found that truly doesn't print on my body. It was really uncomfortable at first, but with some persistence, I got used to carrying there over a period of 3 weeks. Now I don't even notice it.

Milt Sparks has two great holsters for IWB carry. The Summer Special 2 and the Versa Max 2. You have to order them though, I don't know of a stocking dealer.

Fitch

Congrats on the permit, I just got mine as well tho' I didn't have nearly the wait you did. and congrats on the little friend, Can't help you with your problem. I am just learning about my own gun, will carry off property for the first time today.

TDPalmer

VIP Member
    Congrads on the permit. The P.D. called me one day before the eight weeks were up.
    Have a look at CrossBreed Holsters, Innovative holsters for concealed carry-1911-Glock-HK-Sig-Taurus-Kimber-Springfield-Colt-XD
    I got one a few weeks back and it works great for a Kel-Tec PF-9.
    Hoffmans is worth the drive for a look. The Guys there are a great help. The prices are good as well.
    I got a belt from Comp-Tac [around $70.]. Its wide and is narrow at the front like a dress belt. It make a difference to have a good belt. Good Luck.

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the input. That crossbreed looks like the ticket... minimal and well distributed.

Well, I completely forgot while starting this post that I was going to Hartford this morning for a show at the civic center. A bizarre show of disected bodies. Good for a thorough anatomy lesson. Anyway, that put me minutes away from Hoffmans.

The place was great. Good selections of guns and decent prices but no great bargains. I did like the reloaded ammo of thier owm very cheap.

The place was so busy that I could not wait for assistance but they had a good selection of holsters. Better than my local guys.

I think I wil get the crossbreed. Looks great thanks.

B

Once paid off it was even more painful not to have a reason to go. I would just go and ask if I could see my "little friend"

I have some quick questions!

1) Once the gun was paid off why couldn't you take it home with you?

2) Does CT make you have a ccw permit in order to purchase a handgun or something?

3) Do you have to apply for a PTA (Permit to aquire) to purchase a handgun?

I guess I am just wondering why you didn't take the handgun with you if paid in full?

As far as holsters are concerned, do not short change yourself in that or the belt department for carry. The Mikes holsters are a POS, Desantis isn't to bad but I'd recommend something better in a holster.

I'd look through the mega holster maker link page in the forum help & extras in the blue bar near the top of the page and do some research as to what you might like in a holster, although the Crossbreed is probably going to be the ticket as you said.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

JD
    Administrator
    CT is one of those funny states, if my memory serves me correctly, as I recall you either need a purchase permit for handguns, or your CCW, IIRC, it takes about the same time to process the paper on either, but It's been a while since I visited CT, so don't quote me on that.

No I could not take the gun until I had the permit.

Yes there is one other type of permit if I only wanted for home or work (business owner) carry... I think. Forget the name of it.

I figured they take the same time so I just went for the full permit so I could carry a pistol to and fro work or the range.

It's funny now that I have the permit all the gun store owners treat me like their best buddy. Before, while only browsing some made me feel like a criminal.

WOW, 8 week's just to get a ccw permit or a what i call PTA (Permit to aquire)? That's just crazy if that is the case. I can go purchase a hand gun at anytime with a simple NICS check and I'm out the door. ccw permit doesn't even matter or is needed.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    WOW, 8 week's just to get a ccw permit or a what i call PTA (Permit to aquire)? That's just crazy if that is the case.
    CT calls it an "Eligibility Certificate", and yes, it takes about the same amount of time, and (I think, don't have one) costs the same as the full carry permit. Pretty sure that this certificate doesn't permit you to even take it, unloaded and locked, to the range. Nowhere except home.

At least the carry permit is essentially shall-issue. Also, very few places here you can't carry by law, and I've never seen a no guns sign anywhere except the post office. I don't think most people up here know guns exist outside of the movies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links