Went to the hospital today...

This is a discussion on Went to the hospital today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by nutz4utwo Anyone know where I could get a prescription for a weapon? Does my health insurance cover the cost? I think I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Went to the hospital today...

doctor approved weapon

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Anyone know where I could get a prescription for a weapon? Does my health insurance cover the cost? I think I have $10 co-pay.

thats funny, that me need if you find out.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

2. Remove Ads

trip to hospital(armed)

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    My son had hernia surgery today. Yes, the same son who wants to be special forces yet literally passes out at the site of his own blood. But I digress.

Now it is my understanding that I can carry in Oregon everywhere but Federal buildings, court houses, etc. So when I took him there at 5:30 AM (I am thinking he was not going to need anesthesia, but I digress again) I had my gun concealed.

As I was filling out the paperwork, this was in the hospitals Conditions of Service:

Safe Environment
    Weapons or other dangerous objects, illegal drugs, and drugs not prescribed by an individual's health care provider are not permitted on the premises. Hospitals obligation to provide a safe environment must override the individual's right to have these items in his/her possession. Hospital reserves the right to search individuals or rooms and to confiscate such objects upon reasonable search.

Hmmm. If they saw my weapon, could they confiscate it, or would I just be requested to leave peacefully?

Oh, and by the way, while I was waiting for the procedure to be completed, I was working on my laptop. They had WiFi, so I logged in to their network. I tried to access this forum but was denied by their filters because this was a dangerous and unapproved website.
    i lock my weapon in car lock box. hope you son is doing ok.
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Well then state law prohibits local making more restrictive law then doesnt it... Denver was probably grandfathered in.
    Denver C&C (and several other municipalities) effectively got smacked upside the head by the State Legislature shortly after the CC requirements were relaxed in '03. Denver was one of the biggest "You can't do this, or carry here and there".
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I'd like to see them try to confiscate it....however, if concealed properly, there shouldn't be a problem.

Hospitals obligation to provide a safe environment must override the individual's right to have these items in his/her possession. Hospital reserves the right to search individuals or rooms and to confiscate such objects upon reasonable search.
    Oh really? I reserve the right to say No--and if injured, expect to receive the standard of care commensurate with their accreditation. Although they believe their holy of holies may be crime-free, still doesn't negate my need to carry the tools I see necessary to my self-defense.

I like someone to walk up with a contract to the morons who came up with this policy that guarentees safety and security and when I am harmed (despite their "best" practices), they will pay $100M to my estate, uncontested.

Both scenarios are not likely to happen.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Michigan sucks as hospitals are off limits.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    i agree with ya there mich politics and all suck. love the state
    though.
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glock27mark View Post
    I hope you son is doing ok.
    Ya. He is already doing better after one day.

Here is a picture of him getting up to go to the bathroom. (If he EVER calls me a decrepit, old man again, I will just show him this picture. ) Pain makes if very hard to get out of bed. It took 3 of us and 30 minutes to get him so he could get up.

Thinking about this, I realized that this was a very controlled knife fight. I could only imagine the pain some one would go through should they be sliced in a real knife fight.
    Attached Images
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    yep. im getting out of here asap. hopefully moving to a place like OR
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Glad he's doing alright. Inguinal hernia? I prefer to keep any knifes out of that general area....*knock on wood*

Administrator
    At least if you get cut in a fight, chances are they are not going to be that deep.
    "Just blame Sixto"

slow getting around

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Ya. He is already doing better after one day.

Here is a picture of him getting up to go to the bathroom. (If he EVER calls me a decrepit, old man again, I will just show him this picture. ) Pain makes if very hard to get out of bed. It took 3 of us and 30 minutes to get him so he could get up.

Thinking about this, I realized that this was a very controlled knife fight. I could only imagine the pain some one would go through should they be sliced in a real knife fight.
    three back surgeries later, i know the feeling.

gladto hear he's feeling better.
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

As someone who has worked in large hospitals I want to clarify a few things people have mentioned here.
    1) Hospitals are NOT their own municipality - they may have "their own police force" but that is because the hospital is large enough to require a constant police presence. Some hospitals have contracted with the PD to provide that 24/7. They are still city law enforcement officers that are assigned to the hospital.
    2) If you read the paperwork carefully - it was probably regarding possession by the PATIENT, Visitors would not be privileged to the same paperwork.
    3) I have seen weapons "Confiscated" by the law enforcement and put in the safe, it is always returned upon leaving the building if the weapon was lawfully possessed, and not used in a criminal manner.
    4) If your visiting, and there is no visible posting - and it is not against any public laws - concealed means concealed
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    As someone who has worked in large hospitals I want to clarify a few things people have mentioned here.
    1) Hospitals are NOT their own municipality - they may have "their own police force" but that is because the hospital is large enough to require a constant police presence. Some hospitals have contracted with the PD to provide that 24/7. They are still city law enforcement officers that are assigned to the hospital.

Yes, they can be. I never said all, I said some are. I can think of a few off the top of my head. Mainly they are teaching hospitals owned or operated by universities.... I dont just make stuff up out of boredom.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    2) If you read the paperwork carefully - it was probably regarding possession by the PATIENT, Visitors would not be privileged to the same paperwork.
    3) I have seen weapons "Confiscated" by the law enforcement and put in the safe, it is always returned upon leaving the building if the weapon was lawfully possessed, and not used in a criminal manner.
    4) If your visiting, and there is no visible posting - and it is not against any public laws - concealed means concealed
    regarding#4) hospitals are pistol free zones per state law
    as mentioned before.(msp website pistol free zone)
    i quess that means they give away free pistols.
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, they can be. I never said all, I said some are. I can think of a few off the top of my head. Mainly they are teaching hospitals owned or operated by universities.... I dont just make stuff up out of boredom.
    Sorry, they are not by definition their own municipality - they must still operate under the rules/regulations of the city they are in. I have worked high enough up the food chain in Hospitals (Which were large teaching hospitals btw) to know that they are NOT their own municipality. They still must get building permits and follow the rules of the city (or get wavers from them) - therefore they can be self governing - although many of them would like to be.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links