Went to the hospital today...

This is a discussion on Went to the hospital today... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; DMan, I can think of three hospitals within an hour of my home are in direct opposition to your statement. We don't consider them municipalities ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Went to the hospital today...

VIP Member
    DMan, I can think of three hospitals within an hour of my home are in direct opposition to your statement. We don't consider them municipalities here, but they are their own political subdivisions that are not subject to the laws and regulations of the city in which they are located. What you are saying may be true in your location, but there are 50 different sets of rules- not all states follow what you are saying.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Sorry, they are not by definition their own municipality - they must still operate under the rules/regulations of the city they are in. I have worked high enough up the food chain in Hospitals (Which were large teaching hospitals btw) to know that they are NOT their own municipality. They still must get building permits and follow the rules of the city (or get wavers from them) - therefore they can be self governing - although many of them would like to be.
    OK, maybe I chose the wrong term... no matter if your in a city or village of campus, building permits and stuff and approved by the county government.
    They can and do have their own set of rules, and they usually adopt the surounding city/county and state laws. To simplify matters, the rules fall under civil, but I promise there is a criminal ord. that deals with the same thing that is a hospital rule.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Everything depends upon the state, and specific laws. FL hospitals are not specifically mentioned as off limits but universities are...
    Thus in Gainesville, Shands Hospital is intertwined with U of F...thus, carrying in Shands Hospital could land you in serious trouble.
    Instead of asking you to leave, they will asking you to step into the back seat of the squad car...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Everything depends upon the state, and specific laws. FL hospitals are not specifically mentioned as off limits but universities are...
    Thus in Gainesville, Shands Hospital is intertwined with U of F...thus, carrying in Shands Hospital could land you in serious trouble.
    Instead of asking you to leave, they will asking you to step into the back seat of the squad car...
    In Colorado Universities are not specifically off limits. If you are a student they can use suspension in their favor, if you are an employee they can use employment in their favor, but if you are a visitor OH WELL.
    Last edited by rljohns; January 27th, 2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Error

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    It also seems odd that a public WiFi would have blocked websites.
    I love Panera restaurants for their free WiFi when I'm traveling, but on a recent trip I found DC and other firearms-related sites were blocked as "dangerous" or "inappropriate". Grrrrr
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

GPS
    Most hospitals down here in Louisiana are posted "no weapons" at the doors. I can understand not wanting the patients to have weapons. In most instances, there is no way the patients could keep a weapon secured. At times the patient is incapacitated, in and out of the room for tests, etc. Also, I used to work as an EMT. When people bring in injured from fights, motor vehicle accidents, major medical emergencies, drug over doses, etc., they are not always thinking rationally. Ever see family members all breaking bad in an ER waiting room? Not a very pleasant picture. All sorts of threats, furniture throwing and other posturing. Security guards going nuts. Now add guns! Not a good situation. Now if you are the patient caught in an emergency situation and you are carrying legally I would expect that they would have someone, either family or LEO secure the weapon for you. That happened to me one time already. I collapsed with a kidney stone during a flood evacuation down here and had to be run to the hospital, but I was a fire department arson investigator (commissioned LEO) and everyone at the hospital knew me.
    Cordially,
    GPS

Visit U.S. Concealed Carry - The Ultimate Resource for the Armed Citizen http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/inde...ffID=GStrecker

I knew this guy who worked at a local hospital and there were "No Weapons" signs posted at the doors. He told there that there was this one guy who would come in from time to time and he would be open carry his gun. Open carry is legal here. Security would inform him of the rules and he would say that he had a right and so on. But the hospital staff never pushed the issue. The hospital goes out of its way to make people happy and I guess they didn't want to cause a scene. I don't think that the police was even called.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links