Arizona CCW and Schools

Arizona CCW and Schools

This is a discussion on Arizona CCW and Schools within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Proposed bill OKs guns in schools Individuals with a concealed-weapons permit would be allowed to bring their guns onto school grounds under a measure introduced ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arizona CCW and Schools

Arizona CCW and Schools

Proposed bill OKs guns in schools

Individuals with a concealed-weapons permit would be allowed to bring their guns onto school grounds under a measure introduced Friday at the Arizona Legislature.

The proposal, Senate Bill 1214, would exempt concealed-carry permit holders from a state law that bars individuals from knowingly carrying deadly weapons onto school property. If it becomes law, the measure would allow teachers and anyone else with a valid permit to carry their weapon onto the grounds of any public or private K-12 school, college or university in the state.

Supporters say the measure would provide an additional ring of security on campuses hit with a string of shootings in recent years. The most recent of which was last year's at Virginia Tech, which left 33 dead. The shootings have come in spite of heightened campus security and policies that are increasingly aimed at scrubbing any and all weapons from school grounds.

let's hope this passes..........

jimb

I sure hope this passes, imagine being able to actually protect my granddaughter at school!
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

VIP Member
    I can just hear the anti's. "If the law passes the school yards will be flowing with blood. There will be daily shoot outs. It will be the OK Corral all over again!!" All the sick lame excuses they use to fight against conceal carry laws, the ones that never happened.
    I wish you luck.

ccw an schools

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I can just hear the anti's. "If the law passes the school yards will be flowing with blood. There will be daily shoot outs. It will be the OK Corral all over again!!" All the sick lame excuses they use to fight against conceal carry laws, the ones that never happened.
    I wish you luck.
    i also wish ya luck, but you know the anti's,if they didnt have guns
    to cry about, it would be knifes,pencils,cold cup of coffee.
    if their not crying about something, they not happy.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; January 26th, 2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Did you guys read some of the anti's responses at the bottom of the article?
    Some would rather wait till the cops get there. Fine, if you're kids still alive.
    Another one mentioned they're worried about some teacher being a "bad shot" during a crisis. Not worried about the BG being a "good shot."
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

That is a bill to get behind and support! I hope AZ folks can get it passed! It'd be a great model for other states too!

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    Did you guys read some of the anti's responses at the bottom of the article?
    Some would rather wait till the cops get there. Fine, if you're kids still alive.
    Another one mentioned they're worried about some teacher being a "bad shot" during a crisis. Not worried about the BG being a "good shot."
    Just cite the New Life Church shooting in Colorado. Jean Assam neutralized the threat with no injury to bystanders. Besides, most people duck and cover, leaving the BG an easy target.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Wow i hope this passes & others follow

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    That is a bill to get behind and support! I hope AZ folks can get it passed! It'd be a great model for other states too!
    Utah does right now...

As a college student at Northern Arizona University, I hope this goes through...

Having my Beretta in class would make me a lot more comfortable, even if others may disagree.

At first when I read it, I was worried about gamers and pimpled face mall-ninjas packing in class. Then I remembered you have to be 21 years old, and I'm not so concerned.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    My state legislature ROCKS! haha

Man I've been hoping for something like this for YEARS now. My Lord, we'd be one heavily armed campus. I love it. haha But my main concern is that this will only apply to state schools. I'm curious if the law would be all-encompassing for private institutions as well.

That is, if Napoliatano will even look at it before she hits it with her Veto stamp.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Are private institutions bound by the state laws that govern public institutions? I thought private grade schools at least were considered separate i.e. teachers do not have to be NEA members.
    For you AZ guys, is there enough support to override a veto?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Okay I gave the article another read.

If it becomes law, the measure would allow teachers and anyone else with a valid permit to carry their weapon onto the grounds of any public or private K-12 school, college or university in the state.
    Excellent!!! That answers my question.

"Apparently, it hasn't really protected us . . . " noted Senate Majority Leader Thayer Verschoor, a Gilbert Republican and co-sponsor of the proposal. The primary sponsor is Sen. Karen Johnson, R-Mesa.
    Wow. Politicians using logic!! What really surprises me is that these are Phoenix reps sponsoring this bill. I know the state in general seems to be rather conservative but I figured the Phoenix Republicans to be like the Northeast Republicans. If they're all for this I can only imagine what the rest of the state can do.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I wish you luck.
    You missed the fact that some kid would probably steal your gun and shoot up the school...

Hope it passes...it would then be two down and 48 to go!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links