Pennsylvania CCW Laws?

Pennsylvania CCW Laws?

This is a discussion on Pennsylvania CCW Laws? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm planning a trip to Pennsylvania in the next few months and have been trying to find out what the laws are there concerning CCW. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania CCW Laws?

Question Pennsylvania CCW Laws?

I'm planning a trip to Pennsylvania in the next few months and have been trying to find out what the laws are there concerning CCW. I know that they honor Oklahoma Permits, but want to know the specifics about where you can carry and where you cannot, etc.

Oklahoma has a "Self Defense Act" that spells everything out, but I can't find anything similar for PA.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Assistant Administrator
    You should find most that you need by checking out Handgunlaw.us and also within the NRA site there is some info too if you dig.

The three main listed no-carries here are Fed property, schools and courthouses. There is no problem with bars etc ... apart of course from being sensible!

PA has no statutary signage like TX and others ... so should you see a sign limiting carry it will be more down to ''asked to leave'' if discovered. There does seem to be some variation regionally regarding some places with their own signs ..... possibly out east you might be more likely to come across something than in the western part of the state - IMO.

A grey area which always produces much debate has been post offices - arguments go on and on, so let's just say include post offices in your no carry zones here and be safe.

Anyone wanting to reopen the PO can'o'worms - don't! It's been done to death!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    You should find most that you need by checking out Handgunlaw.us and also within the NRA site there is some info too if you dig.

The three main listed no-carries here are Fed property, schools and courthouses. There is no problem with bars etc ... apart of course from being sensible!

PA has no statutary signage like TX and others ... so should you see a sign limiting carry it will be more down to ''asked to leave'' if discovered. There does seem to be some variation regionally regarding some places with their own signs ..... possibly out east you might be more likely to come across something than in the western part of the state - IMO.

A grey area which always produces much debate has been post offices - arguments go on and on, so let's just say include post offices in your no carry zones here and be safe.

Anyone wanting to reopen the PO can'o'worms - don't! It's been done to death!
    I'll be in northern Blair County (where I'm originally from) for my visit. Pretty rural in my neck of the woods!

So you can carry in bars in PA? Interesting. Here in OK you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol provided the sale of alcohol isn't their primary business. Bars are a no no!

Thanks for the info!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Assistant Administrator
    I'll be in northern Blair County
    Ahah - just North of me - Bedford here. Altoona is about 30 miles.

Have to say - well with some bars anyways - even if we can carry - there are some to be avoided, like - when we carry we should avoid potential trouble spots.

I have only seen one sign in my area ever that I recall, and that was a store on 164 towards Martinsburg from Roaring Spring (you probably may know it) - which actually requested ''unloaded only'' ...... I guess their reasoning was based on folks going to the guns area but then a CCW should not come out anyways ideally.
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    CEW58, I noticed your retired Army, are you in the Lawton area? I spent many years in Altus, 17 to be exact, 12 1/2 on AD and another 4 1/2 after retiring.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Ahah - just North of me - Bedford here. Altoona is about 30 miles.

Have to say - well with some bars anyways - even if we can carry - there are some to be avoided, like - when we carry we should avoid potential trouble spots.

I have only seen one sign in my area ever that I recall, and that was a store on 164 towards Martinsburg from Roaring Spring (you probably may know it) - which actually requested ''unloaded only'' ...... I guess their reasoning was based on folks going to the guns area but then a CCW should not come out anyways ideally.
    Bedford eh? I grew up just west of Tyrone along Route 453. I haven't lived in PA since early 1977 when I joined the Army so I only vaguely remember all the other small towns and roads in the area. On the other hand I can stomp around my old hiking and hunting haunts in the mountains and never get disoriented in the least! Go figure.

I wasn't planning on carrying in a bar (or even going to a bar for that matter) but was surprised that you are even allowed to carry in one.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    CEW58, I noticed your retired Army, are you in the Lawton area? I spent many years in Altus, 17 to be exact, 12 1/2 on AD and another 4 1/2 after retiring.
    I am in the Lawton Area. I have two older brothers that also served at Altus AFB way back in the early 60's when it was a SAC Base.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

My wife was just at a conference in Philadelphia, she didn’t want to take her carry piece because I couldn’t find anything about carry in convention centers and the like. Is there no restriction on “entertainment venues” of certain seating capacity or convention centers and the like? She is a librarian and they conference in Philly on a regular basis, so maybe she can carry next time there.

Assistant Administrator
    Philly might be problematic in some places - not always the friendliest place for guns - I guess it'd be a case of seeing what those places have as ''security'' for folks going in.

Some might have a ''no weapons'' policy and even metal detectors .... that said if your wife entered this place hassle-free then a repeat visit could well be OK for carry. Have to determine on a case by case basis I think.
    Chris - P95

Pennsylvania is probably the best carry state in the nation. As long as your in compliance with State Law, Philly can't make their own laws. When I visit Washington and Westmoreland Counties along with Fayette, hope I got the spelling right, I love it. Carry everyplace I go, bars included.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    I'm planning a trip to Pennsylvania in the next few months and have been trying to find out what the laws are there concerning CCW. I know that they honor Oklahoma Permits, but want to know the specifics about where you can carry and where you cannot, etc.

Oklahoma has a "Self Defense Act" that spells everything out, but I can't find anything similar for PA.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction?
    Sir,

Google search "PA Title 18 Chapter 61" for all of your carry questions.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Sir,

Thank you.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Administrator
    You may carry concealed into any bar or restaurant and you may also legally order and consume beer, wine, or any other alcoholic beverage.

And please "Folks" - No Comments as to what or what does not "mix" - that is not the topic of this thread and I am merely passing on information regarding PA law on eateries and what he may do - or decide not to do as a legal responsible adult American citizen in Pennsylvania.

Oh BTW - You MUST have your License To Carry on your person whenever you are carrying.

You may carry concealed - on your person - in your vehicle exactly the same as you would carry outside your vehicle.

If you are vehicle stopped by LEO for a traffic violation you are not legally obligated to inform the officer that you are carrying a concealed firearm.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You may carry concealed into any bar or restaurant and you may also legally order and consume beer, wine, or any other alcoholic beverage.

And please "Folks" - No Comments as to what or what does not "mix" - that is not the topic of this thread and I am merely passing on information regarding PA law on eateries and what he may do - or decide not to do as a legal responsible adult American citizen in Pennsylvania.

Oh BTW - You MUST have your License To Carry on your person whenever you are carrying.

You may carry concealed - on your person - in your vehicle exactly the same as you would carry outside your vehicle.

If you are vehicle stopped by LEO for a traffic violation you are not legally obligated to inform the officer that you are carrying a concealed firearm.
    That's interesting. But I think in the unlikely event that I get stopped (I've had one traffic violation in the last 21 years) I'll inform the LEO just to be sure there aren't any misunderstandings.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Sir,

I just typed that in and the only google result was for this very forum. I was referred to this site FIREARMS AND OTHER DANGEROUS ARTICLES by handgunlaw.us. But everytime I click on one of the links it just takes me to the top of the page. I've had my PA CCW as well as an Arizona CCW. The major difference between the two is that in AZ you had to take a course that taught you all of the AZ ccw laws...while in PA you go to the court house, get it, and they do not tell you anything, not even reliable sources to find out the appropriate laws.

So right now I really only have two questions. I know you can't carry in federal places, but can you carry in banks? And also, is PA picky about the whole gun bulge issue? I've heard that some states want your weapon to be 110% invisible.

Also does anyone know how far away from city limits can you be before (target) shooting? There are plenty of woodlands that border towns in PA.

--Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links