Really cold hands

This is a discussion on Really cold hands within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok - summer ain't over yet!! But fall is approaching and all too soon winter will be here. This is NOT for you guys down ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really cold hands

Assistant Administrator

Really cold hands

Ok - summer ain't over yet!! But fall is approaching and all too soon winter will be here.

This is NOT for you guys down in AZ and TX - but more for those of us trapped in more Northerly climbs.

I am lucky - much of my day is indoors - some sorta heat but - when out and about, cold hands do present a problem with respect to fine motor skills. Now and again I have been out in winter and hands got cold enough that my grip was reduced and also my finger useage.

Gloves, some might shout! True - gloves are good but - I hate 'em! And most I'd do for shooting is fingerless gloves.

So - for those who live more in my area - or further North even - do you ever wonder about gun control - in sub zero temp's?? Now and again - I have felt disadvantaged for a while.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Ive shot in the cold quite a bit.

I admit that the cold does effect me but not as much as i thought it would.

I shot 2 deer 1 while i was walking down the road in about 10degree weather and had been walking 10mins with 454 at my side shot was only 15 yards sure but i made it on a neck shot.

Other Deer i shot 10 mins later as Dad was field dressing the first one becuse i had a gun he didnt then i shot the second one 65 yards With 454 Casull at 65 yards in at the same temp 10 degree not counting windchill..

So will it and adrenalin effects you some i didnt notice it was anyworse than normal. For shooting i think the Adrenlin rush and the shakes are little overblown i still get the rush everydeer and the shakes but its not super bad and i can fire a second shot if need be.

Granted this is deer hunting but this is as close as i want to come to finding out

Assistant Administrator
    Bud - I have ''managed'' in past at that sorta temp' but - sure as heck know that my sense of touch and grip strength do fade somewhat. From hunting POV I think I too can cope Ok - I would quite quite possibly also have 454 or 45-70 even as handgun - and I think I'd do OK.

From carry POV tho - just not so sure - that is where my concern is focussed. As I said - not very likely for me but - who knows - I might be out in cold some while and then go into a store - and be compromized with my function.

I do try when cold to keep hands in pockets - that of course helps quite a lot.
    Chris - P95

Administrator

THESE ARE GREAT! They Are Cheap & They WORK!

CHEAPER THAN DIRT is selling these.

Heat Factory Never be cold again with Heat Factory body warmers, air activated, simply open the package and it heats up in minutes, flameless warmth to keep you going in warm comfort, despite the cold climate. Small Warmers last eight hours, package of 6 pairs.

They are about a dollar each. They stay HOT for at least 6 hours & closer to 8 in the coldest weather.
    ACE hardware was selling them for a dollar each & I bought some for my wife. She loved them.
    There is some sort of IRON compound in there that slowly reacts with the air when you tear the package open. It's non~toxic. They really get hot.

I think the one Ace Hardware was selling was called HOT HANDS.
    They are probably all exactly the same with different package/brand names.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator

ALSO: You Can Get These

I have a pair of Hatch Dura~Thin POLICE Gloves.
    They are just enough glove for me.
    Use the size chart at the bottom of the LINK PAGE.
    My hands do not ever get too cold.
    CLICK HERE FOR GLOVES

I have a pair of Hatch Dura~Thin POLICE Gloves.
    The Hatch gloves are great. I actually prefer the ones with the kevlar lining, not so much because I'm worried about getting stuck, but because the kevlar mesh makes them a little warmer without increasing the bulk to a noticeable amount. I can still dial a cell phone, open a knife, etc. while wearing them. (note to self...I need a new pair before it gets cold)
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Are you asking for solutions to keep your hands warm on the range, or ways to make sure you hands are "good to go" for EDC in the city?

Usually the hands are in pockets if not wearing gloves. So is the issue that you don't want to have gloves on and don't want to have your hands in your pockets, but need to keep them warm?

I guess I'm really confused now.

Administrator

Hopefully

We won't have too many more winters in PGH where the temps did not rise above like 5 degrees BELOW ZERO for a full month...or was it 8 weeks? I still remember that Deep Freeze winter.
    Jim_Linch ~ It's OK to feel confused. P95Carry confuses a lot of people with his threads sometimes.
    His keen poetry skills tend to make up for it though.

haha... does he have an "ode to Glock?" LOL

VIP Member
    If the weather is cold, WEAR GLOVES! I permanently ruined my circulation many, many years ago while out deer hunting. The temperature wasn't bad when we headed out, and I didn't want to wear gloves because they felt clumsy while handling a firearm. Well, the cold front moved in swiftly and by the time I made it back to the warm interior of home, my hands were numb. Rifles with slings were a great idea after that, so my hands were off cold steel and in warm pockets.

I didn't end up with frostbite, but I did end up with what the doc called Raynaud's Phenomenon where the circulation in my fingers and toes decrease and those extremeties turn white and then blue if not dunked in warm water. It's not a pretty sight. I had it for many years and it's slowly going away, but I know it can still happen again. I still get stiffness.

I found a nice pair of tight leather and cashmere lined gloves that have a snug, flexible fit and don't feel clumsy on my skinny fingers.

Hatch gloves have been mentioned several times - they also makes kinds where you can remove the stitching on the tip of the trigger finger!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

"Cold"? I do put on a jacket when it gets down to 60 out here during the winter....does this have something to do with this "snow" stuff I hear about?
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    CHEAPER THAN DIRT is selling these.

Heat Factory Never be cold again with Heat Factory body warmers, air activated, simply open the package and it heats up in minutes, flameless warmth to keep you going in warm comfort, despite the cold climate. Small Warmers last eight hours, package of 6 pairs.

They are about a dollar each. They stay HOT for at least 6 hours & closer to 8 in the coldest weather.
    ACE hardware was selling them for a dollar each & I bought some for my wife. She loved them.
    There is some sort of IRON compound in there that slowly reacts with the air when you tear the package open. It's non~toxic. They really get hot.

I think the one Ace Hardware was selling was called HOT HANDS.
    They are probably all exactly the same with different package/brand names.
    Yup, I can see a real need for those in those you know FRIGID MIAMI WINTERS.....lol I used stuff similar to this back in the 80's when I was on active duty in Washington State and elsewhere.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator

I would love it if it was 55 degrees all year long.

That is T-shirt & shorts weather for me.
    I've had 2 much sweltering hot weather.

Assistant Administrator
    Jim - sorry to confuse!! As QK mentioned, I probably do that a bit!

I was really just musing on the effects of cold relative to gun handling - of course knowing that most folks will avoid cold hands by some means.

I just hate gloves - unless biking - and so hand warmth for me has to be by pockets or maybe sometimes a handwarmer deal. Now and again tho - if for instance having to do something requiring good touch like under the hood of a vehicle - then for some while at least I can get quite chilled hands - which I then know will not make gun handling as easy - observation really that's all.
    "ode to Glock?"
    Haha - give me time - you never know what I might come up with.
    Chris - P95

In cold weather, I usually where a pair of Isotoner driving gloves. I have sanded the finish off the leather strips to improve the grip. They are thin enough that I still have reasonable sense of touch, but insulated enough to take the edge off the cold and keep my hands functional. I'll have to try the Hatch gloves. The kevlar lined gloves sound particularly interesting. Southern Police Supply is a few blocks from my house, so I'll have to check them out. I've seen the hand warmers at Ace, but never tried them. That's going to change, too. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links