Defensive Carry banner

Would you carry to a job interview?

6K views 60 replies 54 participants last post by  Sticks 
#1 ·
I have a job interview on Tuesday. Not the Federal Government, nuclear power plant, etc. Just a normal business. I have no idea what their weapons policy is. But, would you carry to the interview?

#4 ·
My $0.02:

I would not. You're going to be nervous as it is; you don't want to be worrying also about being made. It doesn't matter how legal it may be to carry, a job interview is a process of elimination, so it may be just enough to get you knocked out of the running if someone were to find out during the interview.

You only get ONE chance to make a good first impression, why take the chance of ruining that if your interviewer is an "anti"?

#6 ·
How bad do you want this job?

How many job interviews have you been on in the last two months?

Are you going to be wearing something that you have worn before and concealed?

IMO, anything other than a tucked IWB would be out of the question, but then I guess it depends on what kind of job you are going for.

Maybe getting it in your head that where you are going is a federal building, so lock it up in the car before you go in.

I suppose if you were taking a briefcase, you could put it in there.

#7 ·
I'd say do whatever makes you comfortable. I haven't found job interviews all that stressfull to cause undo worry about what I've got in my pocket or under my clothes but if you do, then I would not do it if I were you. Btw, good luck, I hope ya get it!

#12 ·
I know that I'm going to go against the grain here but I would not carry on an interview. I try to make the best possible impression that I can on these. There will be plenty of time later on to do this if the company allows. Just think that if it did somehow print that you would be remembered as the guy that had the gun versus the man that was qualified for the job. I try to get the job that I want and then I worry about being able to carry later. I know you guys may not think this way but I spend so much time at a job that I want to enjoy it and need that income to support my gun buying habits. ha! I can't carry on my current job so I just lock it up in a case in the car while I'm here. Just my thoughts on it.

#14 ·
Nope. The chances of it "hurting" are much better than "helping".

Why take the risk. Leave it in the car.

#15 ·
Uncertain of your method of carry, but folks are going to be really looking at you in an interview situation, if only for awhile. If you're going to get "made", then it's going to be during this time.

Am assuming you don't know the company's stance and policy, but it's safe to assume that it's one of disarmament and immediate dismissal if found to carry weapons. Am assuming you don't know if they have detectors in some doorways.

The risk is: getting made could kill the job opportunity. Decide if that's enough of a worry. If a minor concern, go deeply concealed. If a heavy concern, consider not carrying inside that building. The worst thing that could happen, legally, is that you don't get the job. Decide accordingly.

#16 ·
Don't carry. If this is a job you really want any sort of disclosure or idea will probably destroy your chances. There is too much of a chance that some sort of accident that will disclose your carry condition. Bumping into a door, an arm on a chair, or any one of multiple other minor things that can happen. The risks and stakes of disclosure are much greater during this specific time than normal.

#17 ·
i'd carry. but then again considering the jobs im most likely to apply for i'd fit in better if i were armed.

#18 ·
I have carried concealed on job interviews before. In fact, the job that I currently hold I was carrying concealed for the interview. And they have a no weapons policy for their employees. But I wasn't an employee at the time. I flew from Mobile Alabama to Memphis Tennessee for the interview on their dime and they put me up in a very nice hotel for the night. My gun went with me.

So, the answer to your question is, yes I would if I felt I could do so effectively and there was no reason to think they might ask me to disrobe.:gah:

#19 ·
I agree with the don't carry crowd. You won't get the job because you are carrying, but you could certainly lose the job if you were outed.

Don't make the mistake of asking their gun policies during the interview process either. If you can find them out through the company literature, observing others(spotting someone carrying), or seeing posted signs, if any, than great. Otherwise you can ask someone later assuming you decide to take the job, or when you are offered the job you can ask then(if not being allowed to carry is a deal breaker for you).

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. What type of place are we talking about here? Is it an office, warehouse, retail...what type of environment?

#21 ·
I say yes carry, as was stated earlier your gonna be nervous. but if you are nervous enough that you need to worry about being made then dont. i've carried to more interviews then i care to admit and was never nervous about being made.

#25 ·
I am going to vote with the don't carry crowd even though it hurts to have to do that. I think that even those who say they wouldn't be nervous at an interview would actually end up with some nervousness and having the firearm with them would increase the stress. You don't need that.

I have a similar situation. I am about to leave for jury duty. As a reserve officer I could carry in the court house and do on normal occasions. This is not a normal occasion. So the guns, mags, knives will be locked in the Center-of-Mass in car gun safe.

#26 ·
I would carry, I carry everywhere else that it is legal to do so. If I had any concern at all, I'd just switch to BUG in a pocket holster - it looks just like the bulge of a wallet.

That said, it's a personal issue. If you think it would distract you, or "throw you off your game" - then maybe you should leave it in the car or at home.

#29 ·
I have been wondering about this one myself, since ive been doing some interviewing recently. I havent carried into one, but the question also crossed my mind if I should. I dont think im going to for now. im not really keen on leaving my weapon in the car though, thats for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.