Would you carry to a job interview? - Page 4

Would you carry to a job interview?

This is a discussion on Would you carry to a job interview? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; if it's legal to carry there, then i absolutely would. i've carried in interviews before, and i will do it again....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you carry to a job interview?

if it's legal to carry there, then i absolutely would. i've carried in interviews before, and i will do it again.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I carried,...got the BEST job I've ever gotten by a long shot, WAY more money,..etc

Wearing a shirt//tie, hid my p3at quiet nicely,...first interview,...

Second interview--was with the owner not just the VP and manager,...the president/owner was proudly telling me about his Taurus Judge and remarked when I start working to leave my gun in the car *wink wink* (note: the vp is a friend of my fiancee,and knows I'm hardcore 2a)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    would you carry to the interview?
    I would, but I'm accustomed to carrying in situations that would be bad if I was outed. And I wouldn't be outed. I've carried around ex-LEO, very anti administrators, high-level inspectors, and I haven't been made. I would feel more uncomfortable if I wasn't carrying.

I don't get to choose the day and time that my firearm will be needed, so my pledge to my family is to be ready whenever that time comes.

Every act of random violence is unexpected. Every workplace murder is unexpected. Every Luby's shootout is unexpected. Every Virginia Tech massacre is unexpected. So if you expect nothing on the day of your interview, you are in exactly the same situation as others who have needed a gun, but didn't have one.

I'd do what I normally do: carry two if my clothing allowed it. I'm committed to coming home at the end of the day. I can find another job interview if it goes south.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you're applying for a "Chip & Dale's" position...I'd say NO...
    Well.....you might consider "Thunderwear".
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

As an employer I would tell you do not carry. Depending on the type of position you have applied for, you could be sized up from top to bottom. If I seen someone who I even thought was carrying to an interview, the interview would be over. Same as if they came in wearing jeans or flip flops. As an employer, I feel one needs to know what the company policy is before assuming. If it is a job that you would like to undertake, don't carry your firearm.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Not a situation I expect to be in any time soon, but...I have to with the 'it depends' answer, though I think the best comments so far have been the ones about whether it would make you nervous or not. This is not to suggest that any of us are so completely jumpy as to be a danger, but instead to say it this way---if you are worried enough about the potential employer finding out you are armed, it may distract you during the interview.

The guys (and gals ) around here who are so accustomed to carrying that they literally don't give it a second thought, I don't see why they shouldn't carry in a situation like this. exactlymypoint, IIRC, you have only been carrying regularly for a few weeks now, right? Maybe the fact that you even started the thread suggests you are not yet at that point where you could put the potential distraction aside.
    I agree.

To me, it would make me more uncomfortable to NOT have it than to have it, but that's me. There'd be this big empty hole on my hip where my gun should be and I'd be worrying about it sitting out there in the car (even though it would be in the COM safe) for anyone to try to take. I'd also be searching the table for things I could improvise as weapons if the SHTF.

I'd be far more uncomfortable without it.

I've done interviews while armed before. In fact, I did an interview where the question of "what are you carrying right now?" came up. Then we had a nice little chat about Colt Mustangs and how rare they are to find these days. It was one of my favorite interviews and I got the job. (Granted I also had my range bag and another case full of guns sitting next to me through the interview as well, but that's another story.)

But this is all due to the fact that I've been carrying for a while now and not only have I become comfortable with carrying, it has become a staple of my wardrobe. I put on my gun before I put on my wedding ring.

I have confidence in my clothing, my holsters and my method of carry so that I know there will be no "getting made" accidents.

If, however, I were not so confident in all of those things I, too, might reconsider carrying to a job interview.

In the end I don't believe it is what we (the members of DC) would do, but what YOU (exactlymypoint) will feel comfortable doing. If you would not feel comfortable and think that it may be a distraction, leave the gun at home or in the car.

If, on the other hand, you feel it is not a distraction and know you are not breaking any laws and feel you could confidently interview armed or not, then that is your call.

Either way, good luck at your interview! I hope this is the career opportunity you are looking for!

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Today is the day! Let us know how it went and what you decided.

I did carry on several job interviews. Nobody noticed, nobody asked, and I didn't volunteer the fact. No big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Misfit View Post
    I did carry on several job interviews. Nobody noticed, nobody asked, and I didn't volunteer the fact. No big deal.
    Good for you! You had the confidence to do it and the gun didn't jump out and say, "here I am!"

I believe that if the thought carrying to an interview is going to weigh that heavily on your mind, then you probably aren't going to be exuding a lot of confidence regardless of where you left your gun.

How bad do you want the job? Unless I put it in the position description, I would not want an employee of mine carrying on the job. I wounldn't even consider hiring you as being too much of an insurance liability and two, the statement you just made.

Keep it in your vehicle and good luck.

I always do. They wont notice. If they have some kind of policy, you havent read it yet, youre just interviewing.

VIP Member
    Right on bro! Well done!

Do you think you landed a job?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    Today is the day! Let us know how it went and what you decided.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Do you think you landed a job?
    Thanks for following through guys.

Just so you know, because my son is not recovering as quickly as we thought he would (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tal-today.html) I rescheduled the interview for Feb 6.

The input was very valuable. I think I am going to carry to the interview as I am becoming much more comfortable doing this. Plus with all the close encounters happening to people on this forum, it just seems prudent.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I have. Now, I didn't carry my XD 45 in my IWB holster. Too much of a chance of it accidentally showing. I carried my Glock 26 in my Nemesis pocket holster. Not visible, and mo chance that it could become visible. Of course, the day I went in for my drug test, I didn't realize that I would have to empty everything from my pants. So, I pull the XD 45 out and put it in the drawer, and then my Glock 26 from my pocket. Of course, as it was discussed in another thread a short time ago, they didn't care, they see things like that all of the time.

Guess I'm still hung up on "why?"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links